Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: 2006 CLK 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fuel filter location on clk 350

Hi,

Does anyone know where is the fuel filter located on 2006 clk 350.
I looked all over and can't find it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I can not believe no one on this board have any info on the fuel filter location for clk 350. Finally the true is in, I took my clk 350 in for a fuel filter change and my local mercedes mechanic told me the filter is under the seat, NOT under the car on the rear, I looked under to confirm it. I'm not sure when you need to change it. He said you don't need to change it. Hope this help for some one who own clk 350.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
MB recommends changing the one on my 2001 E320 at 60,000 miles. Surely your mechanic is wrong and it needs to be changed at some point.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 03:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCLK350 View Post
I can not believe no one on this board have any info on the fuel filter location for clk 350. Finally the true is in, I took my clk 350 in for a fuel filter change and my local mercedes mechanic told me the filter is under the seat, NOT under the car on the rear, I looked under to confirm it.
My WIS does not agree with your location of the CLK 350 fuel filter. It shows that it is under the car at the rear L/H side - the same place as on all W209 CLKs. You won't see it unless you remove the under cover.

I've no idea what you saw under the seat. Can you post a picture?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
My owner manual recommends changing at 65K miles. Keyhole, does your WIS shown the model clk 350? Mine WIS only shown clk 320, I think this is the closest model but the engine is different it shown the fuel filter on clk 320 on the rear. But when we looked at the rear we can see the fuel line but not the fuel filter. Can it be on the side of the front rear tire covered by the big piece under cover? That is the only place that I can think of. Hope some of you guys know the location cause I really want to change it.
I will try to take a picture of the rear later when I get a chance so you know what I'm taking about.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 03:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Hi.

Possibly the confusion was caused because you were shown where the fuel pump is located on a W209. This is INSIDE the 'saddle' fuel tank which is located under the rear seats, and access to the fuel pump and the fuel level sensors is via a large removable ring nut located under there.

Although there are many engine options for the W209 class CLK, the rest of the car is very similar as far as part locations are concerned.

Here are some details about your fuel filter location.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W209 fuel filter.pdf (493.2 KB, 1362 views)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 12:58 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2002
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
hello,

I too could not find the filter location on my 2008 clk350 w209. I removed all the panels underneath at the back to no avail.

On my other Mercedes, e320 its underneath the car right rear panel.

Sooo, without checking, I went ahead an ordered from my supplier, Autohaus Ariz, and they sent me a MANN #WK720 filter.

If you check any of the suppliers they will show this filter and its equivalent they don't appear to know its in the gas tank.It appears to be integrated into another component, looks expensive too!

To access it you have to remove the seats at the back. It appears to be a big job though because the fuel tank has to be drained some?

Good job I had my WIS disc and reading other posting on this site.

Brian
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 07:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
To replace the filter/sender unit on the left side of the tank, you do need to drain the tank. It's not not hard. Just drive it until your low fuel warning comes on and the remaining distance to empty just gives you a picture of a gas pump and no mileage. You'll have a half gallon or so left in the tank. The way the system works, the left side of the tank is emptied first, then the pump pulls from the right side. The official procedure is to use the pump itself to empty the tank, but with the right side pump seal opened, you can use a hand pump and empty it there. Or, actually just don't empty it - there will be maybe half on inch of fuel in the bottom. Work OUTSIDE and do NOTHING that would generate a spark. Disconnect the vehicle battery before starting any of this.

Once challenge is that all the hoses are attached to the sender/filter. They run through the tank to the pump. The fuel hose connection on the top of the pump can be a real challenge to disconnect. It's supposed to have a squeeze-clamp fitting, but the nipple on the pump it connects to can be brittle. My advice is to cut its hose a few inches from the connection, remove the pump, and then work on it out in the open.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

http://benzbits.com/rudeney.htm
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 01:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

This question has caused confusion in the past.

If members remember, we had a discussion in 2013 about the 209 fuel filter location, and discovered that it depended on the CLK model and (sometimes) the engine number.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/c209...er-change.html

CLK 350 is model 209.356 with engine M272. 350 Cabrio is 209.456.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 07:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Yep, it seems the introduction of the M272 and M273 engines moved it to the tank. Brian's CLK350 (M272) would thus have it there. It's really not a horrible job to do, even compared to replacing the external filter. I mean, in both cases, you are dealing with gasoline, which is potentially dangerous. With the external filter, you have to lift the car and remove a wheel. With the internal filter, there's no lifting, but you have to remove the rear seat bottom, remove access panels, and then detach the retainer rings on the pump and sender units.

For cars without California Emissions, then ring unscrews, and there is, of course, a "special tool" that engages the ring, but pliers can be used:

Vehicles with California Emissions use a large "hose clamp" instead of the ring. Here's the WIS doc. All the photos except the one on the right of the first page show the "California" clamp:

http://benzbits.com/w209/FuelPumpLockRing.pdf

For those with the California style retainer, you will need some sort of small right-angle tool to loosen the screw on the clamp. I have a "SkewDriver" that works well enough.

Now, as far as the dangers of working with gasoline, remember, the liquid itself is actually quite benign - it burns, but does no "explode". The danger is in the fumes. Ignited fumes WILL EXPLODE! So even if you empty the tank you will still have residual fumes to worry about. I'd definitely do this OUTSIDE away from any flames, sparks, etc. and only AFTER disconnecting the vehicle battery.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

http://benzbits.com/rudeney.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C209/A209 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in