Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

CLK Dashboard Blackout

37K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Benzyle 
#1 · (Edited)
CLK Instrument panel problem

With more and more frequency while the car is on either parked or driving, the dashboard lighting in my '06 CLK350 will go dark. Followed by the clock turning counter clockwise until it hits 10:35am, then it changes to the correct time. The speedometer with fall to zero briefly before resuming normal function. And the "time after start" will reset. At no point is the acceleration, braking or steering effected. Anyone have or heard of this problem?

#3 ·
Instrument cluster replacement

thanks for the response.

After dealer diagnostics, it was determined the instrument cluster needs to be replaced. Their quote was $1600 for part alone, $1720 total. I spoke with two different dealers, one quoted $1350 total, the other ballparked it at $700.

Any feedback on what is the appropriate cost for an instrument cluster replacement on a '06 CLK 350?

Has anyone had this problem as well?

#4 ·
Interestingly, the W220 models have now a 10 year extended warranty/recall for failing instrument clusters. Your panel might have come from the same shoddy subcontractor.

#5 ·
Hi all,
I have a similar problem with my instrument cluster lights too. They do not illuminate anymore. They used to come on, seemingly, when they wanted to, after a delay post startup, but now do not even come on at all. WTH is the problem with these things? mrelbe, can you post a little more info about this recall? Thanks

Steve

#12 ·
I really hate to say this but my 2004 clk55 has been doing this exact same thing.Keyless go and everything else mostly works but if you try to use headlights before it’s on it will log error codes. But the big issue is the delayed startup of the dash unit. I leave the car parked a lot so it only has 67k miles on it I was thinking maybe a reserve battery problem somewhere but after reading it seems like my dash unit is going bad and that hurts. There have been other electrical gremlins along the way most notably the engine cooling fan not working properly but that seems unrelated at this point. I’m afraid my dash is doomed to fail so I hope someone can tell me how to replace with the least money. I just cannot solder worth a darn. My mechanical skills are pretty good so I can get the cluster out but guess I will have to send it off to have it refurbished or get a used one and have it programmed but yikes don’t know if a used one will last very long. Anyway guess you have to do whatever It takes to keep my baby on the road or in the garage. Sheesh. They used to be built like tanks.
thank you all very much for taking the time to help and good luck to us all with this unwelcome problem.

#6 ·
Steve

You posted before about your cluster problem, I remember. Still with you then? Did you investigate the driver's door switch possibility?

There have been very few posts about cluster problems on W209 models since I joined this site in 2006, so you very are unlucky here. More common on the W208 model though, where they get pixel failure caused by ribbon wiring and connector problems. Your total blackout cannot be that same issue, surely?

I would be tempted to pull it out for an examination of the connectors, etc. Other threads describe the hooks that you need and where to slide them to get it free (no screws). I suppose that it could also be a fault with the dimmer rheostat (reset button)

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1564114-instrument-cluster-lights-doesnt-come-up.html

#7 ·
Hi all,
keyhole, thanks so much for the reply, info & link. I will take a look at what you mentioned and see if I can discover what the problem is. The cluster worked intermittantly for a few months and has now totally stopped working. I can see the possibility of loose wiring/bad connections from vibrations or whatever. It's just ridiculous to have a problem like this. Do I need to disconnect the batt or do any type of grounding(myself w/anti-static gloves, etc.) before removing the cluster, so as not to have power surges that would fry anything on the cluster? Thanks for all the help!

Steve

#9 ·
Do I need to disconnect the batt or do any type of grounding(myself w/anti-static gloves, etc.) before removing the cluster, so as not to have power surges that would fry anything on the cluster?
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208-clk-class/1440865-instrument-cluster-pixel-fix.html

Well in this thread above it was recommended - but they were 'opening' the cluster assembly and touching the circuit components on the bench. Just to pull out the complete unit for a quick check you don't have to earth yourself.

Whether you disconnect the battery negative is up to you. I tend just to take extra care while working.

Finally, you know that 'slightly corroded' terminals can give intermittent lamp failures (I've had that) so do give the relevant fuse f42, in the cockpit (driver's side) a good inspection.

#10 ·
i also have this problem, today my cluster had a bunch of error message including check engine light, pulled the code and it was dtc p0600 can system. i then disconnected the battery and reconnected, now the cluster doesn't display anything. i had this problem about a month back where the cluster didnt display anything and the next day it worked again.i've checked all the fuses and all are working. any one or any benz tech out there know whats going on?

#13 ·
Sorry to hear of your troubles..
I have never done it myself ,,but there is no soldering required ,,just one electrical connector..
Disconnect the negative battery terminal first..
Use a pick tool at each side to remove the cluster and remove it ,,disconnect the electrical connector ..get your new part and plug it in and replace..
I think fitting a used one is your best option.
I am .not sure if you need to have it programmed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.