Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Retrofitting a radio

9K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Studrat 
#1 ·
This is not a DIY as I have not performed this task myself. However, as a number of forum members are interested in knowing how to get access to the factory-fitted radio, I have extracted the relevant pages from the WIS to describe the stages to achieve this.

1. Remove/install the gearshift cover, and move the lever into N. This is to make room for the ashtray to be removed. (WIS advises shift lock override to move the lever to D, but I gather this is not neccessary) The drawings cover two W209 gearshift lever designs, but there may be more.

2. Remove/install the ashtray. This will provide access to the center console cover fixings.

3. Remove/install the center console cover. This will provide access to the radio fixings.

4. Remove/install the radio. Audio 10 or Audio 30

Comments/feedback from forum members who have performed this job is welcomed.

Attachments

#3 ·
I haven't fully taken out my radio yet, but i discovered pulling apart the panel around the shifter is not that difficult.

1. Open the ashe tray door, grabbing the front end of the panel with both hands and pulling firmly upward.

2. Once the front is dislodged from the clips you need to move forward at a 45degree angle to disengage the plastic holding the panel down next to the armrest.

3. If an automatic, place the car in neutal, then simply pull out ashe tray housing. You will now have a view of the torx screws holding the panel in place.

More to come (including photos) as I continue to work toward installing my after market radio. I had done this on my slk which also had a bose system pretty flawlessly with only having to refit a wiring harness. It then became plug and play. Has anyone installed an after market unit with the bose amp/speakers still installed? I had zero problems in the slk so unless they've made drastic changes to the amp I think I should be in the clear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.