Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

NEW (to me!) 2008 CLK 350

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  blk05c230k 
#1 ·
Hi All,

This is my first post and I'm so excited to be picking up my 2008 CPO CLK350 from the dealer on Friday! I have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone could answer...

They're offering tire/wheel "insurance" for $1099 for 5 years. Should I?
They're also offering extended warranty for an additional 2 years for about 2K. Same question.
I didn't see a manual in this particular car. Am I supposed to get everything it originally came with?
In other CLKs (at another dealer) there was something wrapped and in the trunk. Some kind of cover for something I think? I'm not sure what. It wasn't in the trunk of my car, but I didn't know exactly what it was so don't know what to ask my salesperson (if it comes with "it" or not):confused:

Thanks to anyone who can help. Seems like a really friendly forum.:)

Kay

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. I just recently purchased my CLK too. I think the thing that is wrapped in the trunk could be the first aid kit. Is it in black small bag?

As for the tire/wheel insurance, I don't think you need it. Repairing and replacing tire/wheel can be cheaper than that.

As for the extended warranty, you can consider that since the car is not a cheap car to repair. Make sure you know what exactly is covered in the extended warranty. You can also consider that based on how long you want to keep the car for. If you think that you will sell it after the CPO warranty expires, you can save that $2K for something else such as nice rims.

I didn't get the owners manual and spare key when I receive the car (I bought it in Ohio and I live in Seattle), but my dealership is willing to send me the owners manual and the spare key for free. So you can request to have 2 keys and the owners manual for the car.

Hopefully this helps

#3 ·
csxian - Thanks for the welcome! The thing I had seen in the other trunks was longish (3 ft?) and about a foot wide and flat. It was wrapped in some sort of white protective wrap...

Thanks for your advice on the warranties, and I'll be sure to ask for manual and 2nd key if not provided tomorrow.

BTW, congrats on you new car!:)

Kay

#4 ·
HI, welcome to the forum and congrats on your CLK. I have had my 2008 CLK for about a year...it's a great car.
I agree, not to buy the tire/wheel insurance.
I did not buy the extended warranty with mine. I bought one from the dealer of my last new car and the warranty company went bankrupt before I ever used it. It's a gamble with your money. This time I put the cost of the extended warranty in the bank.
For the owner's manual, you can purchase all of the books from a Mercedes dealer. This web site will take you to the MBUSA 2008 CLK owners manual in PDF form:
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/data/pdf/ownersmanual/2008_clk350_clk550_clk63amg.pdf
You can also buy keys from a Mercedes dealer. I only got two with my new car.
Good luck, and happy motoring.
Jim

#5 ·
Jim - Thanks for the link to the manual. Now I can read all about it tonight :D
Also, thanks for your input on warranties. I think I'll save the 3K!

I think I've found out what the "thing" in the trunk was. Maybe a wind blocker folded up...

Can't wait til tomorrow!!!:)

Kay

#6 ·
Kay

I'm a bit late to see your post, so the important questions have been dealt with. Please add some details about your ride and your location with the UserCP ^^^^ as it often helps with answer. For example, can I assume that you have bought a cabriolet if you have a wind deflector in the trunk? The cab has a few things different to the coupe, so it's impotant to state that detail here.

However, you should have your own Owner's Manual, together with the Service manual with the history of oil changes, etc. They are normally zipped into a smart MB bag that lives in a cavity the trunk. Plus (on the coupe) a little 'allen' type key to lock/unlock the sunroof if the motor ever fails. There is also a basic first-aid kit in there.

Also, if you have a skinny space-saver spare wheel, you need a special set of lugnuts to hold that on. These have a different length to the regular lugnuts, which will not fit. All that should be in the trunk together with the emergency jack & a few tools. Enjoy the ride. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Hey Keyhole - Yes, it's a cabriolet, and I see your point about being more specific!;) Well, I picked up the car yesterday (yipee:D) and the "thing" that was (supposed to be) in the trunk is a wind deflector. It was missing, but the dealer is going to get me one.

I actually didn't even look in the cavity of the trunk!:eek: I'll check it out this morning.

Thanks for the info!

Kay

#8 ·
Just a point of clarification, I bought a CPO CLK and the extended warranty is through Mercedes itself, not some third-party warranty company that has the potential to go out of business as someone else said.

#9 ·
hey kayz benz,

don't knock the extended warranty...if something does go wrong with your car (to which i have never owned a car that did not have one issue at one point or another)...expect to pay at least $1k for repairs...i wouldn't recommend the warranty if you were driving something domestic or generic b/c the repairs aren't as expensive...but you are gonna kick yourself, if something does pop up. and besides, if it is a major issue...i had an 05 c-class that needed a new engine...the 4-cylinder engine for a c-class "brand new" is about $20k...a rebuilt engine is roughly about $8k to $12k.

#10 ·
Thanks blk05,

Wow! Those are some scary numbers. I'm thinking of it like this...
I have the CPO warranty which will take me to sometime in 2013. Then, if I want, I can still buy the extended warranty as long as I get it before the CPO warranty ends. They told me it would cost an extra 15%, but at least I have the option if I decide to keep the car (which I LOVE so far, BTW) :D

#11 ·
That's not a bad way to figure out the situation...just try and put a reminder somewhere to make a decision by a certain date and you should be fine...the numbers are really accurate...my car got flooded in some downpours here and thank goodness for insurance...but like you said...you have time, enjoy the ride!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.