Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Need help...Oil leak on clk500

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  keyhole 
#1 ·
I went and got my Service A done at the dealership and he mentioned I had an oil leak. It's not visibly showing on the ground yet, but my ser rep mentioned it was leaking into an incapation panel? and if that panel gets too full it will spill oil. Has anybody experienced this? and what would be the cost to fix? Thanks

#2 ·
I don't have the exact same problem but I noticed what looked like a dime sized drop on the pavement after the car had sat for a few days. When I took it to the dealership they said it was the rear main seal but could also be the upper oil pan. They quoted me at over $2,500 to fix both if that ends up being the issue. Since it's literally only a tiny dot of oil, I'm electing to leave it for now. My SLK use to leave quarter size drops and ran for about 40k miles before I sold it the same way.

#5 ·
MB - From what I've learned so far in having a couple MB's now, it's not the mileage that hurts the cars as much as it is the physical age. I only have about 75k miles and I'm looking at both the rear main seal, upper oil pan, and what they say may be sweating from the valves.

The more I think about my own repair and what they want to fix it, I'm leaning on making the splurge sooner than later. Did they quote you a price for repair?

My dealer said $1,400 for the rear main, another $1,100 on top of that if the upper oil pan is definitely leaking and they didn't even give a quote on the sweating valves as they told me it wasn't an issue at all yet and could be left alone.

I don't know if I'm being scared into fixing it or I've just convinced myself that it needs to be done because I'm staring at a quarter size drop in the driveway but I think I'm going to have it taken care of when I go in for an A service next month.

#6 ·
Incapation panel? The SA was probably referring to the plastic panel underneath your car that is provided to keep mud & dirt from splashing on the bottom of the engine, etc. It is in 2 parts and, during servicing, it is removed to get access to the engine sump drain screw. As the panels are slightly dished, it is possible for small quantities of leaking oil to 'pool' down there.

I'm surprised that your mech took them off, as they usually suck the oil out from the dipstick tube these days to speed up the job.

As for the source of the oil leak, there could be many places - failed gaskets, seals, etc. Can you see any sign of a leak when looking at the engine from the top with the hood open? The only way forward is for the panels to come off again and the underside be inspected from below. Anything else is just guesswork.

What is your yom & mileage?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.