Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

need help CLK55 AMG

4K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  yuri55 
#1 ·
hi, need some help.

the car was making squealing noises while driving... sounded like the belts

so i opened the hood and saw smoke coming from under the belts (not much smoke).

there was also a lot of liquid on the floor panel and over the hoses and parts under the belts. need help with this.

looked like water/coolant but not sure.

need help with this, thanks in advance.

#3 ·
mileage is 107 Km

engine temp is okay, no sign of over heating,
when do water pumps usually go?

where would the oil come from? didn't see any oil.

didn't lose much coolant either... but then again i wasn't driving too long until i stopped

what other things could it be?

#4 ·
OK - is the car still driveable?

1. I don't know about the general lifespan of MB water pumps. Ford & Toyota would be lucky to go 100 Km.
2. On old engines there is often some oil on engine surfaces from slightly leaking seals, etc. With overheating, this would start to smoke.
3. As you stated above that you did lose coolant, it seems that you did overheat.

I would focus on the engine cooling system. All your belts OK? Thermostat OK? Radiator blocked? Do the rad hoses look the right size? A rad blockage could swell the diameters.

If you re-start the engine now, is it still squealing? Can you locate the source with the hood raised? :thumbsup:

#5 ·
ya everything is correct as i stated above, but this morning i did start my car and the center belt wheel is wobbling... what does that belt turn???

so i guess the squealing is coming from that, there is still the coolant leak which i find odd if the water pump isn't making that noise. anyone know? thanks for the response keyhole.

#7 ·
I thiink you are referring to the 'serpentine belt', that MB call the poly V belt.

It should be under tension from a tensioner pulley (item 7). If any of the pulleys is wobbling that is your problem area. The power for the belt system comes from the engine crankshaft (item 1). If the belt is loose, you will lose your a/c, generator (alternator), power steering, water pump etc.

It could cause your overheating.

Attachments

#9 ·
The odd moment you are looking for a solution to your problem and find yourself 5 year ago with a similar problem.

Mileage 196,500KM
04' CLK55

The water pump pulley seems to have seized up (all pulleys are spinning except the water pump pulley)

Hope shes OK :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.