Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Whose your daddy? CLK55 is your daddy!

2K views 22 replies 0 participants last post by  anyone have a wrecke 
G
#1 ·
Car and Driver - 13.6 @ 106 <br> Road and Track - 13.7 @ 105.6 <br> Shell - goofball from Dallas - 13.712 @ 106.88 <br> <br> First shot out of the hole - WITH traction control on! Well I was geekin' beyond belief let me tell you. So, I'll back up for a sec. No spare tire or floor matts, I'm 205 (easy), over 3/4 of a tank of gas, 17' stock rims running stock 245 rubber @ 32 psi pressure, 3850 miles on the odod, 45*, overcast somewhat, breezy, - with K&N drop ins. So the spare is probably compensated by the fact I had over 3/4 of a tank. My 60' times where pretty average to not so great (2.467) - so I think a 13.6 - 13.5 is possible based on my trap speed that if I could launch the car worth the a damn and get around a 2.2 60'. Oh, my reaction time was lame-o - .937 (I used to .5 somethings all the time in my nissan - it's been a few years). No power braking. Release brake with left foot - put pedal to the floor with the right foot. Damn this is easy! <br> <br> Want some perspective? There was a real nice young guy (in his mid 20s?) with a 3 month old M3 that had a 2.2 sec 60ft time and ran 13.5 at 105. The kid did a nice job of launching that car - I'm sure it was a handful. <br> <br> ESP was flashing on my launch for a good half to 1 sec and bam - I'm gone and pulling like a frieght train. The car just doesn't have any bite out of the whole (damn you E55s with 275s!!!) <br> <br> Second try I left traction control on again thinking I was oh so close to a 13.6 - let the car do the work! Bogged worse out of the hole (different lane this time) - which showed in the 2.588 60' time - but till managed a 13.897 with a VERY fast 107.21 trap speed. I'm telling ya - once it hooks up - this car will boogie! <br> <br> OK - lines are getting really long - it's almost 2 hours between runs - once more into the breach! This time - I'm turning off ESP. I keep practicing 'rolling' the throttle with my right foot with the car off in the staging lanes. 'Rolling the Throttle' - don't hammer it out of the hole - 'roll the throttle.' 'Luc, I am your father - use the force Luc.' <br> <br> Shallow stage - ESP triangle being disengaged blazes on the dash as if to say 'don't be a dumb-ass - turn me on before you break something' - heart pounds like a jack hammer in my chest - I cut a.798 reaction (ick) - and I thought I was quick but the world is in slow motion - 'Roll the Throttle Luc - Let go........' <br> <br> Why is the rear end of the car drifting left? Uh, uh, uh - I'm rolling the throttle - really I am. <br> <br> Well ESP realizes I'm not doing a good job of not roasting the Michelins under all the torque and intervenes to save my stupid ass in front of a crowd of people. Triangle flashes for a few tenths of a sec - I hook and go (finally!). 60' time is what you would expext - 2.668 - I do a 14.410 at 106.81. <br> <br> Well I have to say being the second most expensive car there (there was a 360 modena - I heard it made a slower run than me) - a lot of people were surprised in the staging lanes that I was doing 13.7 at about 107. That's pretty respectable for out of the box! <br> <br> OK - I'll post some pics next. Attached is my time slip (I think in the order I ran them) - hope you can read them!<br> <br>

See less See more
G
#11 ·
The higher MPH shows that you are spinning ......

your tires. The reaction time has nothing to do with ET. The timmer is not activated until you leave the line. You can have a slower ET and still win on the other end if your reaction time is good. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. I loved your post Shell!!

G
#13 ·
Reaction time....

I was just more upset at myself because I used to be really good at cutting a light. <br> <br> Reducing the 60' time really would have made a bigger difference (notice what the M3 did with a 2.2 - a 13.5 @ 105mph) - what do they say - a tenth in the 60' is good for 2 tenths in the quarter?<br> <br> In any event it was a hoot! Thanks for listening to me rant about my day at the track :)

G
#14 ·
Re: exactly - I usually try to shallow stage and leave on the last yellow and roll out ....

racing with an automatic was a whole new ball game for me... first time back on the strip in about 3 years

G
#20 ·
Man I want a 55!!!! Shell,.....(more inside)

Shell, What you need to do is pick up more more rear wheels, Can find them a salvage yards or buy the looka likes, then order some Nitto Drag radials or BFG brad radials. THen have those installed ion the 'Other' rims! SO when you go the track you can do a nice smokey burnout in the waterbox and get the slick hot. Then you use the brake to bring it up on the revs and should be able to launch with tire spinn! then i would say you looking at 13.2- 12.9! A<br> <br> A friend of mine went from a 13.5 in a 300zx twin turbo to a 12.8 with a set of BFG drag radials!<br> <br>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.