Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

OBD II port is not standard??

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rickard681 
#1 ·
My '02 CLK55 AMG Cab has the OBD2 port just under the dash by my right knee. The connector has two small 'bumps' at the outer edge so my standard OBDII connector on my code reader will not fit on ?! Is there an adapter or something that I need? I thought the OBD 2 ports were standard here in the U.S.
Any one know what the problem is? It just doesn't seem logical.

#2 ·
Welcome. Please click user cp and edit details to add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's often helpful information when you're seeking assistance.

The "bumps" should still fit a standard OBD-II connector. However, the connector is polarized and will only go on one direction, and the MB one is slightly angled at that. And add to that issue the cramped area you're working in...well, you get the picture. A good flashlight and a little contortion (once you've moved the seat all the way back) will let you get a good look at it, then you can fit the plug properly.

But yes, OBD-II is an across-the-board standard for every car manufactured for the NA market beginning with MY 1996.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Thanks, Check Codes, I'll look a little harder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.