Incidenly I must ask, what is your 240 like? I am considering a Px.
Best car I've ever had! I've hardly spent any money on this car, apart from tyres, oil, wipers, etc. No major failures.
What I have realised since my 'innocent' purchase of this CLK 240 in 2006 is that it has a number of advantages over some other MB models.
1. Much better steering design than the W208. Rack & pinion. (no drag links, pitman arm. No steering damper.
2. All electric door locks. No pneumatics at all.
3. Straightforward suspension. No ABC like the MB luxury models.
4. After 2003/4 better rust resistant steel. No sign of any rust on my car yet.
5. 5-speed gearbox. Free of the ills of the later 7-speed.
6. The CLK 350 has some engine issues. (balance shaft)
7. Enough power for the UKs roads.
8. Mine was fully loaded by the original owner & had hardly been used. (foreign diplomat) COMAND, heated seats, etc, etc.
9. With the rear seats folded down, it will take quite big loads.
10. No Kompressor complexity.
11. Bullet-proof M112 engine.
I realise that the 2.6 litre engine might have been a tad small for the US market - that's why it was never sold there. But MB USA want to maintain their cars as high-end prestige models only. For me, this is luxury transport at a moderate cost. I reckon it's a keeper - not sure who will last longest, me or the CLK!
Btw, I know Hornchurch very well - I went to school there...