Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New fuel guage problem

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  A1EK 
#1 ·
I replaced the fuel sending units in the gas tank within the last 3-4 months. Now, all of a sudden--out of the blue, the fuel gauge reads about half of what's in the tank. Does anybody have any experience with this?

#2 ·
There is already a post like this, what I wrote is:

I'll just add my bit.! I have had an issue with my fuel gauge and like others I managed to fix it and it has stayed away for over a year now. I simply bought a bottle of injection cleaner for £10, ( $20) and after a couples of days it started to behave better and was perfect by the end of the week.! I remember when the problem started as it was when I filled up from a Supermarket Petrol Station (eg, ASDA, Sainsburys , Tesco etc). I researched the net and found that some of these petrols have high levels of sulphur that can leave a film on the metal contacts inside the fuel sender unit. The better petrols like Shell, and BP, advertise LOW sulphur fuels in the UK and since my problem I have stayed away from cheap fuels and not had an occurance since !

My advice if you have already replaced the fuel sender unit and its gone again, have a look at the contacts and see. Make sure you use good quality fuel as well !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.