Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

"clunk" from rear corner

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  HighwayStar 
#1 ·
hi, my car has been laid up for the winter, and its come out with issues!!, for one its stuck in park even tho the break pedal switch has been changed and the battery has 13 volts.

The soft top starts to open but then just stops:confused::confused:

but its developed a clonking sound fron the rear pasenger side suspention when the body raises and falls again as it goes over bumps or crests a hill, any ideas would be great:)

#2 ·
The first two, unknown...
But the last thing... the "clunk" I think I know... There are two bushings at the top of the shocks that sometimes crack and allow the shock to move around. Mine was cracked on both of them. The MB tech got someone to actually ride around in the trunk to find the source of the noise. The bushings were replaced, and no more noise. Check there......

#3 ·
I had a similar sound and I also have a convertible. You should have 4 bars total under your car that run diagonal from the center front to the center sides under the doors (2 of them), and the center rear to the center sides (2 of them). These have screws that can become slightly loose and cause clunks and squeaks if they're not fully tight. Hope this solves the problem.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
My 2 cents

I've had this problem twice.

Once it was a bad shock and I just had to replaced the rears. This could be ascertained by going up and down driveways and any thing that would make the car go up and down in the back so as to compress or extend the shocks.

The other possibility, which is more like a minor clunk or a creak, is the the sway bar links. The sway bar links looked fine from the outside, but they have little bushings inside of them that wear out. The good news is that the sway bar links were the cheapest parts I ever bought for my benz. I almost laughed when they told me how much they were--something like $20-25 for both. The install cost me $60 at an alignment shop though I think they undercharged me because I'm a regular customer.

This problem occurred more on turns from my recollection. I didn't need to be going very fast at all. I would do it driving around parking lots and such just making turns which, of course, would exercise the sway bars.

Btw, I went to 2 alignment guys that couldn't figure out the problem, then I had my private factory Benz mechanic drive it and it took him literally 2 seconds to tell me what it was. It's a common problem. They just wear out after a certain amount of time and need to be replaced. I had about 65k miles when it happened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.