Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1999 320CLK 02 Sensor

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MarcusF 
#1 ·
Greetings all,
I'm getting 0150 code every so often. Sometimes it goes out on its own. I cleared the code yesterday and today it re-appeared after hitting a speed bump... My questions are:

1. How do I go about finding the location of the sensor so I can replace it myself?

2. Do I need to get a special wrench for this (I saw this mentioned somewhere)?

3. What's the recommended method of testing if the sensor has gone bad or if this is another problem. Note: there are no other codes present!

4. Is there any reason to think that Seafoam would actually cause damage to O2 sensors?

TIA,

A.G.:bowdown:

#2 ·
1.there is an O2 sensor before and after each primary/first catalytic convertor after the exhaust manifold. You will have to get under the car to find them and

2. no special wrench is needed. at least I never used one to replace one of my sensors.

3. there is no way to test them that I am aware of. only the OBDII scanner tells you when they are shot however, a MAF that is going bad will throw O2 sensor errors.

4. Seafoam? Hmmmm? Never used it but I have seen a Youtube video and the exhaust looked like the car was burning pure oil/lots of smoke. I suppose it could fowl the sensors but I have never read about it here. GOOD LUCK!

#3 ·
I really don't suggest using Seafoam on a Mercedes Benz

#5 ·
You are probably right about that. The remaining question is where exactly are the sensors located? Are they easy to find once you get under the car or do they require taking out other components before they can be reached? Any pointers would be appreciated and thanks for all the responses so far.

A.G.

#6 ·
Follow the exhaust pipe, they're hard to miss. They're easy to remove. I use an O2 sensor socket and a breaker bar. They usually are loose within seconds. To ensure they're easy to remove the next time, you may want to use anti-seize. DO NOT get anti-seize on the tip. Just the threads. Depending on the sensor, the threads may already have anti-seize. Lastly, I recommend Bosch universal 4-wire O2 sensors.

#7 ·
Hi Marcus,

Many thanks for the info.

Just to make sure: if my code is 0150 my understanding is that I need what you call the "upstream" sensor. I looked at your site (very impressive!) but I don't know if my '99 320 clk is "ME 2.0" or "ME 2.8".

A.G.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.