Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Touch Up Paint

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  stim141 
#1 ·
hey guys
i have a bunch of small pebble chips on the front of my car, so i bought touch up paint from the mercedes parts department at my local mercedes dealership. i have a few questions about applying it:
1. what is the proper technique to applying it? i know you can't just brush it right on, because it will be "blobby"

2. if done correctly, will there be a noticeable difference between the touch up paint and the original paint? because of fade and such...

thanks guys in advance!

#3 ·
what do you mean by "some clear"? also, could i just buff it by hand instead?

#5 ·
What COLOR do you have - makes a HUGE difference in the result. Light colored metallics are nearly impossible to get right. I have a silver and the only way to get it even close was through trial and error. Drop a blob of silver in the chip it will look like crap - the metallic particles don't lay right and the blog or even thickly applied paint will appear as cloudy grey. If you don't shake it throughly it will appear black.

There are some great color kits that remove excess paint without pulling it out of the chip. I've used Langka and had pretty bad results but I think people at the BMW forum site use something called drcolorchip with great results.

Always apply the clearcoat that is provided in the MB touch up kit. The touch up will appear lighter/very flat - the clearcoat will change the color and make it glossy.

First - shake the paint for at least 10 minutes (if you have metallic) to the the flakes moving around.

Use a fine stiff artists brush and lay it in the chip - do not go beyond the edges and the same color difference will occur. VERY THIN - apply a couple of coats. AGAIN - very thin so the metallic flakes lay flat if they don't the color will be way off. Allow to dry for a few hours. Then if you have some paint over the edges buff it with polish - without any wax - silicone free. Apply the clearcoat otherwise the paint will oxidize.

With a silver metallic thinly applied paint is crucial. The easiest color is basic black to match properly. Pretty much any nonmetallic colors are the easiest as long as the paint in the touch up bottle matches exactly. I've had bright reds/whites that also worked really well. Black sapphire metallics are also really good - tan metallics are pretty horrible - and silver is by far the worse to get right.

Unfortunately there is no great answer except to try it and if it doesn't look right wipe it off with solvent - just be careful because you can soften the paint if you use thinner. Prepsol works without causing any problems. I did have problems with Langka softening the paint and a really small chip became bigger and required a trip to the body shop for a respray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.