Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

CLK 430 wheels on a CLK 320

29K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  nrphlly 
#1 ·
I have a year 2000 CLK 320. I fitted it with original equipment 17 inch wheels from a year 2000 CLK 430 a couple of years ago.

Now I read the following in a search of old post:

"You cannot rotate tires on the 430 because the wheels are staggered. "

I have been rotating so now I need to sort this out if true.

Question:
1. Is the offset or any other specification different on the original equipment wheels on the year 2000 CLK 430 versus the CLk 320?
2. Can I safely keep these wheels on my year 2000 CLK 320 ?
3. Are there two wheels which must go on the back and two which must go on the front ? If so how to I spot which are which (they all came with identical tyre sizes) ?

Thanks

Graham

#2 ·
The CLK 320 has the same size wheels and tires all around. The 430 has wider wheels and wider tires in the rear. If the 430 has the same size tires on the rear as on the front, someone screwed up. 225-45-17 in front 245-40-17 in rear. The 320 comes with 16" wheels and tires

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks,
I replaced the 320s 16 alloys with these 17 inchers off someones 430. The tyres are 225/45/17 on all 4 wheels.

Visually all 4 wheels look identical.

Question: Would there be any marking on the wheels to say which should be the rears ??????

I am about to repalce two tyres so can go to correct sizes if I know where to put them !
(Question: assuming the larger rear size is OK on a 320??)

Thanks

Graham

#6 · (Edited)
They do indeed look like the original 320 wheels. (Same style just 17 inches rather than 16.)

It must be that the 430 owner put 225/45s on the rear during a tyre change. All four look now have 225/45/17 on them and look identical to the eye. I think I am going to have to resort to taking off wheels !!

If anyone can tell me what is written on the back then it will mean I only have to take of one or at most two wheels to work out which pair are rears.

If all four wheels are 7.5 inch as per above answer...... then can I ask:

Question 1:
Did the 430s leave the factory with four identical wheels , but different size tyres on rears than fronts (as above) ? Or am I looking for different offset numbers on the rear of the wheels ???? (I have never understood offset but I picture it as being like an additional distance spacer between the wheels and the hub.)

Question 2:
Can my 320 handle the extra width of the 245/40 rears if I now fit them to these rims ??
The rolling radius is only 1.2% different to the 225/45 that I have been running, but the width may be an issue on a 320 ??? Or is the 320 built the same as a 430 in this area ???

Question3:
Can anyone remind me of the original tyre size that my 320 had on its 16 inch wheels.... or even better, tell me the rolling radius difference to the 225/45/17 or to the 245/40/17 ?

Sorry for the questions, but I want to be sure that I am not running similar looking wheels with differing offsets or whatever on the same axle !!
Then I would like to get the extra width of the 430 rears on to my 320 if safe and if a good idea

Thanks,

Graham

#7 · (Edited)
These answers are all based on US spec vehicles. I have no idea what was offered in the UK. Complete specifications for the 2002 model year US CLK can be seen here.

All US spec CLK430’s had staggered wheels and style was nothing like that of the 320.

The 430 wheels were offered as part of the CLK320’s CP1 Sport Package, so yes, they fit.

The original equipment CLK320 had 205/55R16. The CLK430/55 original equipment Continental ContiSportContacts had a "revs per mile" spec of 827 for the front and 828 for the rear. The original equipment Michelin Pilot Sports had a "revs per mile" spec of 837 for the front and 841 for the rear. That's what you want - very close to matching revs per mile ratings in the front and rear.

The attached photo is of a 2001/2002 CLK430 with the original equipment thin-spoke AMG wheels. The rear wheel clearly has a lip (it's wider - 8.5" versus the 7.5" front). The 1999/2000 CLK430 had thicker spokes.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks Marcus,

I've been on the UK club site and confirmed tht UK 430s had wider rears as this was the case internationally.

I'm going to have to take the wheels off as measuring the rims on the car they all appear same width and all have the 225/45/17 tyres. With all my best efforts they all still look identical and measure identical. I'll put up a couple of photos of the style to see if others have same style and can hint me as to what to look for to spot the rears from the fronts.

Attachments

#9 ·
I've now had the wheels off and measured. All are 7.5J with an offset of 37

Memebrs on the UK forum have told me that on UK cars: "Normal CLK 430 wheels are 225/45/17 all round 7.5J with an offset of 37 ". They have also given a very useful link which might help others checking otiginal equipment wheels available on various models.

Link - http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/inf.../mercedes-benz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.