Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

mercedes smart key remote, can used ones work

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Hary Gahtoe 
#1 ·
I need a couple of extra remotes for my 2000 clk320 and have seen some one ebay for a reasonable price. My question is, if I buy a used one can mercedes reprogram it to work with my car or do I have buy a new one from the stealer? I know the emergency key will need to be new but will the smart key?

#2 ·
The dealer is the only way to go. As far as I know each key can only be programed once, if you get one from fleabay, you are out of luck. When you go to the Stealer make sure you tell them if you have keyless go (although they should know I have read that it was omitted. ) Do a quick search and you will get a lot more information.

#3 · (Edited)
Smart Key

NOOOOOOOOO! Don't spend your money on ebay. Smart keys cannot be reprogrammed that I am aware of unless perhaps the dealer would send one that isn't programmed to your car somewhere to be changed. I ordered a key online because I bought the line that it could be reprogrammed, had to send it back, and then dispute the issue on my credit card. I did get my money back but it was a pain in the a$$. Use the search funtion and use "Smart Key." There are a lot of posts out there on the issue. If I remember correctly, there was/is a MB dealership in the Chicago area that had a really good deal on keys. I spent around $150 to get a key through the local dealer, ouch. This Chicago connection is the way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.