Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Experience with CLK55?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  blackbenzz 
#1 ·
With my ML500 all messed up, I am considering my options for a new car. I am considering a CLK55 (Coupe or Cabrio, not quite sure yet).
For those of you who own CLK55's, what do you think of them? Performance, handling, fit and finish, maitnance, etc. I've heard from people who have looked at the 96-02 era E Classes and they didnt like them too much, how similar is the CLK?

#3 ·
The CLK55 is based on the W202 C-Class chassis, so it's aging.

I think it still handles great though, don't get me wrong. So far, my Starmark'd CLK55 has been great (the warranty's covered the stuff that's gone wrong).

If you do like the newer CLK more though, the 2003 CLK55 (W209) is only a little bit more money than a W208 CLK55. In my case, I didn't care much for the W209 CLK55.

ps. Take a look at used W211 E55 too. I'd love to move on to one in a year or two. 469hp Mercedes for less than $50k. :)

#6 ·
The suspension is aging, but the W208 is superior to it's replacement. The 208’s unequal length double wishbone front end is a much better design than the three point MacPherson strut used in the 209. The tires have a better contact patch with an unequal length double wishbone setup.

The 211, as did the 210, uses an unequal length double wishbone front end. Suspension design may not matter to some. Others can tell in the first three turns.

#7 ·
208/209

blackbenzz said:
W209 CLK is tooooooo feminine.
How true... when I got my CLk55, I insisted on looking only for the W208, which considering that I wanted a convertible made it 2002 only. But the W209 just looks like a wuss compared to the W208, IMO.

Now I'm looking at doing a SC mod - Renntech, Kleeman, one of those - which will give me the best of both worlds - W208 looks with W209+ power.

I love the car, btw.

#8 ·
is this true for the 430s also

#9 ·
I traded my C230 for my 01 CLK55. Best decision my wife ever let me make : )

Seriously I love it . Performance, handling, looks. You can't go wrong.

However..... I have experienced all the typical problems with the W208's. Seat motor, climate control, window motors. Not a problem though since my dad is a German car mechanic.

The only other thing I noticed when I bought it was it shifted real rough at low RPM's. I swapped out the 2 air filters with the K&N's, did the trick. It shifts great now.

Mt recomendation.. Buy one. or two if you're so inclined.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.