Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Hollow out cats for better performance?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  JpdCLK430 
#1 ·
I saw a guy in a parking lot the other day getting out of his clk 320. I stopped and talk to him about his wheels ( knock off VI style 19's 8.5/9.5 very nice). Anyways, he had rehmus exhaust so i asked him to fire it up. After hearing it, he told me he had the cats hollowed out about three months ago. He said you really notice the sound difference when you gun it. When he pulled off he nailed the gas and it sounded almost like the vtech system of honda. The sound seem like the valves had opened up. What do you think about hollowing out the cats? Good move or Bad?

#2 ·
VERY BAD MOVE .
DOnt touch the catalatic converter or ur putting an entire Mercedes benz R & D to waste,

Vtech system.lol I m assuming u mean the rumbling caused by pushing the gas when u have a cone filter.
Any car can do that . all it is is air coming into the engine with no fuel or spark to burn it .

#4 ·
linh - 7/11/2004 6:26 PM

http:/he told me he had the cats hollowed out about three months ago. He said you really notice the sound difference when you gun it./
Yes, it make your car sound better specially on the V6 and V8 but do not try it on the 4 cylinder like my Slk, it sound like SH%%^&T !! It sound just like a Honda. I was so embarrassed, that i changed it back to stock within hour...lol. This is really an old trick. Many Slk 32 owners has done this mods and everyone loved the new sound.
what about the smog check ?
back in the days i used to cut the cat out but now living in Ca (regulation are very strict and getting stricter)

#5 ·
I've thought about running a tube thru the front cats and leaving the back ones alone, but that's quite a big job. I did it with my '85 190E because the front cats were clogged. Also did it to two other off brand cars that used a single cat because the core became loose and blocked flow.
When you pull the cat(s) you increase the potental of the motor, but the computer doesn't take much if any advantage of it. Now if they tuned the fuel and timing to match, then you would see the power.

#6 ·
I had a problem with my cat rattling on my first car, a 190E. Me and my dad took it to his friends shop and we found out the cat had gone bad. Rather than replace the sucker (expensive) we just had it gutted, lol.

Any time we had an inspection after that, we took it to that guys shop. I actually blew the engine on that car. We had to buy a whole used one right before we traded it in, lol. Who would have though an MB engine could blow from just normal use and no mods. I was a bad kid, lol. [}:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.