Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Bittersweet issue with headlights...

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  BrooklynCLK 
#1 ·
As alot of you know i recently turned my car in for the final check-up (50K). The guys there were awesome and they fixed everything. They even replaced a cracked foglight which they never do for free. As it turns out, when i got there the guy told me that they replaced my driver side lights as well. I thought he was just talking about the bulb but then when i got home i took a closer look.

It's the whole damn thing, brand new! I'm a perfectionist when it comes to the appearance of my car and i have a problem now. With the new lights being so damn crystal clean (looks awesome) the passanger side lights look almost yellow (not extreme though). Not everyone would notice this but i do. Is there a way to take apart the passanger side light and clean the inside of the lens with windex or something? Will this even make a difference or is it just faded? Help please. I don't want to have to buy a passanger side light cause MB decided to help me, lol.

#2 ·
lol you're gonna probably not believe this but it's true and it works.

my buddy had the same problem and he's also a car nut like you[;)] i think you two would run neck to neck .
this is what he did, since the lense is molded to the plastic part of the light assembly he couldn't really stick his hand in there and wipe it clean , so this is what he did

he took everything off and left only the lense and the frame which is the plastic part of the assemble, he fliped the light upside down where it was sitting on the lense, and filled it up with CLR , lol , yes CLR the shit you clean your shower with , he let it sit for about a day and then emptied it out nd rinsed it with water , let it compeletly dry and bam, just like that he had a brand new headlight, laugh all you want cause i did too[:D] when he told me about it , but it worked and i guess that's what matter

p.s. he's so drastic that when he opens his doorhe uses a napkin just so he don't leave finger prints on the door handle[?]

i hope you don't get like that [;)]

#3 ·
Did he have the same car as us? In the light there is that metalic shit. Wouldn't the shower thing hurt that? I called MB and asked them if there was a way to clean the lense. A sales guy told me to contact my rep at the service dept. on monday and he might just replace the passanger side with a new light. That would be cool. I'll let you know what happens.

#4 ·
BrooklynCLK - 7/10/2004 6:45 PM

Did he have the same car as us? In the light there is that metalic shit. Wouldn't the shower thing hurt that? I called MB and asked them if there was a way to clean the lense. A sales guy told me to contact my rep at the service dept. on monday and he might just replace the passanger side with a new light. That would be cool. I'll let you know what happens.
why dont u upgrade to the HID set up . it looks cleaner , surely lights better and I think it would be the best investment in ur car cosmetic.
I think linh did it /

Mine came HID stock [:D]

#6 ·
they are a lot cheaper online , they have a pair of used pair on ebay that i'm watching right now for like $550 , i think i'm gonna go ahead and buy them even though the tab is broken on one of them, but oh well

p.s don't try to outbid me guys , i'm determined to buy them[^]

brooklyn, my buddy has a bmw , but i believe the set up on them is the same , i would check first though

#7 ·
Don't worry Qs. The whole reason I'm having this problem is because one looks faded. I'd only wanna get new ones. Good luck on the auction. I might place a bit just to piss ya off. I'll pay you back the difference in a drink sometime, lol, kiddin. [}:)]

#12 ·
ChiCLK430 - 7/12/2004 12:33 PM

HID is a must on a CLK.

I thought all CLK 430's came with HID Xenons?
NOPe . only 2000 and up with k3 K4 package .

I agree HID are a must have . thats the fist thing i look at a car now when I go buy them at auctions.

Brooklyn i dont think u have them otherwise ur lenses would have been clear jst like mines .

IF all fair , that can make the car price jump by an extra $1600 if it has them.

#13 ·
Brklyn I can get you a set of xenon shipped and everything for $650-700 (pre-owned) but they come with everything, computer and all. original headlights from CLK 430. Tip for making headlights look brand new: sand with 1500-1700 grid, then buff with some sort of compound or wax. Friend works at a body shop, he says they do that all the time. Try it, worked great for me.

#18 ·
jp where can you get the set for $650 besides ebay?,every one i see on ebay have broken tabs, are they that easy to break?

brooklyn , i got my window spoiler , i looked under the lip i didn't see the lorinzer on it , so it must be a replica, but it looks really good, i also got the wood door handels , they look sooooooooo freaking good , they're not stick on like everyone (including me ) thought, they replace the factory handels, all i hade to do was pop it out with a screw driver and pressed the wood ones on , as soon as i get done with the whole car , i will post some pictures , it's coming along much better than i thought, this is what i had done to it already

INSIDE:chrome shifter casing and frame, chrome and wood shift knob, wood arm rest, wood door handels,

OUTSIDE:brand new to the us market AMISTAD RIMS( i posted pictures of them when i ordered them ),eibach springs,35% window tint, chrome headlights and taillights rings, trunk spoiler, roof spoiler

I STILL HAVE TO GET: lorinzer body kit , upgraded sound system, in dash dvd player, wood stearing wheel,
and if i have any money left maybe a kleeman kompressor

here's another picture of those wheels i got

#20 ·
QS74 my buddy in Texas runs a mercedes. bmw. audi. etc parts yard. They get their parts mostly from toaled cars. I just got a set from him 650 shipped. No broken tabs, no cracks, perfect condition. He sells more xenon lights form bmw and mercedes then any other parts at the yard. He is a good guy and would not miss lead you. For some odd reason the lights don't work send them back to Houston and he will send you another set

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.