Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Best way to change gauges?

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  BrooklynCLK 
#1 ·
I been told by mercedes tuning shops that the best way to change the gauges in a 99 clk 430 is to replace the cluster. I also been told they can send the cluster out to get the gauges replaced. I'm lookind for a new style gauge or even white. Any help? JL4Punch2@aol

#2 ·
You can get the newer style gauges by changing the cluster. What you SHOULD do, however, is change out your steering wheel for the one with the button controls and have the new cluster with the multifunction display retrofitted into your car. :0)

Contact Steve at steve@mbenznl.com for more info.

#4 ·
Steering wheel

I must say the newer steering wheels are very nice, the plastic star sucks on my 99. I was gonna buy wheels emblems, made just like my 99's stick on star, but in a sky blue or Benz navy blue color. The black plastic star, is just so dull. I always get a year too low, my GS300 has the non chrome Lexus logo steering wheel too. I miss the steering wheel controls from the rental 04 Caddy Deville I had.

I wanna see more on the CLK steering wheel upgrade. Though my husband is tired of me buying stuff for this car (just got it in April). 18in chromeys, Pirelli P zeros, new OEM CLK cover, wood dash kit, Mequiars wax stuff, lug bolts, ipod mount...

#6 ·
The 01 cluster is not plug and play, but it can be retrofitted with the updated steering wheels regardless of what the dealer tells you. It's a modification that has been performed many times. A retrofitted upgraded steering wheel can be used to control radio functions.

#7 ·
Thanks for the help. Looking for steering wheel, do you know where I can find one for a decent price? Are you sure a newer cluster will work? I called a few local tuning shops that work on mercedes and they said they never heard of or done that. One shop has a great name and has been in business for 25 years. Do you know what type of changes will need to be made?

#16 ·
Yeah bro, when I saw you on ebay I did some spy work and clicked to see your feedback. I was able to see the last 3 auctions you won. When I saw that you bought the door shells I broke out in a laugh. They are the tackiest, ugliest things I've ever seen (aside from the real coyote ugly girls), lol.

#18 ·
Brooklyn thanks for the ebay link with the cluster. I just have to find someone that can install it. heard it was pretty hard to make the change from a 99 to a 00+ do you know where i can get the center piece/ airbag for a steering wheel, one with the controls?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.