Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Poblems with picking up satelites on my navigation system.

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  paulhdick 
#1 ·
I've installed on my 2001 ML 320 the navigation and is up and running. The only thing is that it's not picking up any satellites. I

I plugged the cable from the back of the MCS into the "GPS" slot in the splitter/amp and then I plugged the other cable (prewired from the antenna) into the "Antenna" slot in the splitter/amp. According to directions that I have read on e-bay I needed to bring the car to the dealer and get it verion coded by their computer.
I did that, and 2 days and $300 later at the dealer the MB tech told me that I need to replace my wiring harness because it might be bad. Everything works on the car and it is very wierd that I need to replace the whole wiring harness to just have an optional nav system to work.

Any suggestions. Please help.

thanks

#2 ·
Re: Problems with picking up satelites on my navigation system.

Hi ZD,

I have the actual Mercedes Install Bulletin for your MY. I can't tell from your description if you have it wired correctly or not, but it didn't sound quite right. There are three connections you need to make under the seat. After removing the cable from the Tele-Aid unit to the GPS amplifier, the one new cable with the blue connector goes from the GPS amp to the single terminal side of the splitter. The MCS antenna cable connects to the black port on the splitter, then the other new cable goes from the red connector to the Tele-Aid module. This is what mine looks like:

E-mail me and I will send you the bulletin. It's very descriptive. I know it's a stupid question, but did you plug the antenna cable into the nav unit after installing it?

The NAV system will work without version coding. I ran mine for several months before getting it done with no problems at all. $300 was pretty extreme!! It only took the service tech a few minutes to do mine (for free). If the harness is really faulty shouldn't it be covered under warranty??

Hope this helps!!
Paul[:)]

#5 ·
Pull the MCS back out, and look for a second gps connector. Should be square black conn...

Pull the MCS back out, and look for a second gps connector. Should be square black connector. Sometimes there are two, one doesn't connect to anything, the functional one is taped onto the harness (sometimes you really have to look hard).
Good luck.

#6 ·
Pull the MCS back out, and look for a second gps connector. Should be square black conn...

Pull the MCS back out, and look for a second gps connector. Should be square black connector. Sometimes there are two, one doesn't connect to anything, the functional one is taped onto the harness (sometimes you really have to look hard).
Good luck.

#7 ·
Thank you so much!

Paul,

Thank you for you help. I am going to try to reinstall it again. I would greatly appreciate if you could send me that Install Bulletin. My e-mail address is Robert.Krakowiak@opco.com if you need my mailing address just let me know. The Mercedes techs in NYC couldn't solve the problem and my opinion they didn't know what they were doing. Every person who look at the car would tell me something else. Thanks to you and others I have better understanding how to connect the system. Thank you so much.
Rob[:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.