Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

HID ballasts - is there any differences between the brands??

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Michaeld619 
#1 ·
I have been looking at putting in HID lights in my slk but to be honest Im getting kinda overwhelmed with options, the color differences i get but is there any difference between ballast makers? I have seen so far Hella, panasonic, and a few others, your opinions or experiences would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
go with hella or philips

after researching the hell out this and speaking to most of the major high end installers around here, the concensus was either hella or philips. Philips makes the best bulbs and ballasts in the industry, other top names are hella, and sylvania. Philips also makes the best ballasts. All the top autmotice manufacuteres use philips ballast and most use either philips or hella bulbs. With that said, all the HID retrofit kits are made by refitters. The refitters buy bulbs and ballast in bulk and then "refit them into bases that fit your stock headlamp configuration. The color temp inK or Kelvins used to just be a measure of light output in lumens. The hotter or brighter a light burned the closer it came to sunlight. So when your looking for an HID kit that has the brightest lumenocity look for a 4800K bulb. This is the whitest, truest light. Recently manufacturers have begun tinting the glass bulb, this tricks light meters into reading higher k values, therefore they can claim 6000K and 8000K, are they brighter? No, only a different color, their more blue in hue. If you want light output, go for a true 4800K bulb, if you want color go for another. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.