Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Recommendation for professional installation of aftermarket HUs (Bay Area)

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  timm9 
#1 ·
Any recommended installers that I can go to replace my Command HU with aftermarket HU. I am planning to purchase the aftermarket Android HU. I would like it to get installed professionally than do the work myself.

Looking for references to Audio shops in Bay area that are familiar with W220 to install aftermarket HU, dashcams, rearcams, etc.

#2 ·
Hi MerFan,

I to am in the process of trying to find a high end installer but my search is either in the Valley or Reno.

I have found a high end shop in Reno (Porsche, Lamborghini's, etc.) that was recommended by a close friend in the auto industry that has referred to them for many years.

While I have installed many after market HU's over the years, this installation will require major surgery.

I have a custom made double DIN console that will be replacing the factory console. The custom console has the HVAC unit moved down to where to existing single DIN radio opening currently is and the radio moved up, and moves the buttons that are currently below the radio to the ash try compartment. The only reason I have not done it myself is that it will require substantial cutting of the substructure behind the console. I know of one other member here that has done the same with a Parrot unit. I'm impatiently awaiting the release of the newest Alpine touch (Ilx207?) screen android auto unit which was to have shipped last month but is still not here.

I'm not willing to go to the bay area but would consider a shop in the valley with the right reputation if you happen across one...:)

#4 ·
Hi Timm,

For your kind of major surgery, I think Caracoustics in Santa Clara may be perfect. I visited them and saw their workshop. They do audio installation for a lot of high end cars like the ones you have mentioned. They seem to have pretty good reputation and know these cars well. They only install the parts that you purchase through them and i think they also resell Alpine and Kenwood Android Auto HUs. I liked them but their prices were too high and I was not interested in the Android Auto. I am prefer simpler route of buying the HU from Avin. Avin assures me that most of the installation is plug and play. Caracoustics has quoted me at least 6 hours for installing the HU that I buy from them. I was also interested in two channel dashcam and lidar detector. That further made the total labour hours jump to 16 to 20 hours based on their estimates for my car.

There are other reputed installers in the bay area but I haven't spoken to them.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: timm9
#5 ·
Thanks for the recommendation. I spoke with them on the phone. I think they are definitely someone that Timm should to. The guy seems really passionate about his work. I am not sure I want to do a complete sound system project on my car the way they do. My job is probably too small for what they do. Plus they have a waiting list which is 4 months out! They must be really good to have a wait list for customers to bring in their cars.

#8 ·
Thank you all for the excellent feedback!

SubterFUSE, you are a far more patient man than I will ever be waiting since November...

MerFan, You are going single DIN with Android?

Which unit have you selected?

I initially was going with the Pioneer 4200 NEX which I currently have in another vehicle and really like, but have noticed that it has been removed from the offerings on several sites. The one I'm impatiently awaiting is the new Alpine iLX207 which was to start shipping last month but has been delayed. The unit is 'non mech' without CD but the install depth is just a hair over 3 inches. It also has HD Radio which the new Sony unit does not. If you have not used Android Auto yet you will really enjoy it. Being able to received and respond to SMS/Text messages completely hands free is stellar...

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.