Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

06 ML350 Command replacement - radio code

7K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Aaron Stone 
#1 ·
A couple of weeks back I bought a used 06 ML350, that has a MCS II command system that lacks the GPS module.

This morning I just won an auction on a complete Command unit WITH the navigation module. Originally I was going to just get a Navigation module to add to my original unit, but ended up with the complete unit for less.

Now I have a few questions:

1. If I were to replace the compete unit currently in my car with this one, will I need a security code for the new unit.
  2. If I were to just add the NAV module from the new unit to the original, would I need some kind of code, or reprogramming the old command to support the NAV module
  3. Only the quick user guides came with my car, so one of the other manuals are there, nor any stickers with codes.

IF there are codes required for the command radio, where can I find them. I would assume that any type of work done on the car that required battery disconnection would trigger a code request. and without that, I'd be in a lurch.

Thanks in advance for you input.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you, I got all the missing manuals, but wanted to make sure that if I unplug the radio from the loop, I can put it back and not have to worry about security codes.

My current unit appears to have the Sirius/XM Satellite radio function available, it gives me a number to call for activation. Is the SAT built into the head unit or is it a separate device in the MOST loop?

I'm asking because I'm considering just replacing the entire head unit with the one I just bought, that way I wouldn't have to worry about re-coding the old command to support the NAV. Or will I have to get the new radio re-coded anyway once installed into my car?

What would you think is the best course of action in this situation. Either way, I only plan to keep one complete Comand unit, and sell the other.

#4 ·
I'd like to be able to provide the advice you seek, but I am not familiar enough with your particular COMAND head unit. Those that I am familiar with (NTG-1) do not have the SIRIUS/XM unit built in; they use a separate receiver located in the fiber optic loop. Not enough to answer your concerns; hope someone can.

#5 ·
Thanks Skylaw, I guess I'll figure it out once I get the unit in my hands, and start to do the swap.

Anyway, I do have another question, since you said you're familiar with the NTG1. I have one of those in my SL500. Do you know what the latest available maps are? I think the ones I have are 2009 or something like that. Anything newer?

#6 · (Edited)
I don't have that data for the SL. There has been quite a controversy regarding the update for the W220 ever since MB changed the label for the W220 to say "Maybach" and left "W220" off - many dealers are stocking only outdated discs for the W220, when newer ones work. One may have to identify exactly what you want, and argue a bit with the dealership. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2051961-outdated-04-06-s-class-nav.html

The manufacturer of the discs now sends owners to the MB dealerships for nav updates. The SL and the W220 use different discs, and I don't know the current one for yours.

The Mercedes navigation site at MB | Mercedes Benz | 2011 Mercedes-Benz NTG1 (SIEMENS) DVD V10.0 | HERE shows 2011 V.10 as the latest for your car; I don't know if something newer has been released, similar to the situation for the W220.

Please update us if you find anything out.

#7 ·
Update

A week ago I received the Comand unit I bought for my 06 ML350, and yesterday I finally had a chance to install it.

Let me first say, that this is probably one of the easiest installs you can ever do, swapping the radio in and out should take less than 10 minutes. It took me longer, because I struggled with the GPS antenna instillation (more on that later).

As I mentioned earlier, I bought a complete head unit with the built-in navigation drive. So I figured, I'd just swap my unit for this one. However, when I turned it on, I found that it couldn't see my CD changer, or the Syrius SAT radio, so I just took the NAV module off that unit, and plugged it into my original HU. When I turned it on, everything was there, SAT, NAV, CDC, etc. no re-coding required.

I guess this also answers the question I had regarding the SAT radio, it appears to be part of the head unit.

Now to the GPS antenna problem.

Originally I found a blue antenna connector already in the bundle of wiring behind the radio. So I though, great, the cars is pre-wired for navigation. However after about 1/2 hour of driving around, I still had no satellites. So I resorted to the aftermarket antenna I'd bought just in case.

My original intent was to mount the antenna puck under the center speaker cover on top of the dashboard, but I simply could not fish the wire trough, I had my arm inside the dashboard up to my elbow, and I have lots of scrapes and little cuts to prove it, yet I could never find the wire to fish it through. I can literally push the whole 10 feet worth of cable through, and I should be able to grab it on the right side of the AC vent plenum, but I simply had no luck.

In the end I ended up mounting it on the plastic frame that holds the radio. Because it's under the dashboard, the reception is not the best, I get 4 satellites on an average, not more than 5, so I'll have to either try to mount the antenna somewhere else, or activate the one that came with the car. My understanding is the the antenna is already there, but I need a splitter to make it functional.

Speaking of GPS Navigation, this unit doesn't appear to have a bird's eye view option. My '05 SL500 has a NTG1 unit, and that does have the option, but this unit is a MCSII, and the only options I have are North Up or Heading Up. Is there a way to enable a bird's view option? The unit came with a 2006.1 disk, would updating to a newer Maps disc update the software to enable extra functions?

#8 ·
Yet another followup with questions:

After reading a bit more about the experiences of other users that did the NAV upgrade on their W164, I wanted to see if I can use the existing, pre-wired antenna. Based on what I read, the only thing needed to activate the GPS antenna is a splitter module, which installs under the rear left seat.

So today, I lifted the seat and took a peek at what's there (see image below). It appears I have a Telephone module there, and the Blue antenna is plugged into it. Which brings up a slew of questions:

* If this module is there, do I still need the splitter?
* If not, is the antenna active, and if it is, why did it not work when I had it plugged in?
* If the splitter is required, where does it go?
* Does having the telephone module means that there should be a Phone cradle module? I'd like to install the Bluetooth puck if I could. There is no cradle in the center console upper tray.

Attachments

#9 ·
#11 ·
* Does having the telephone module means that there should be a Phone cradle module? I'd like to install the Bluetooth puck if I could. There is no cradle in the center console upper tray.

It looks like tele-aid isn't even connected, which is a good thing. Leave it not connected. I think tele-aid is different from the phone module and only has a couple of service and emergency numbers that it can dial through the stereo.

#12 · (Edited)
Aaron, have you checked your ML's phone bulletin at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/aud...3173-how-guide-cell-phones-upgrades-plug.html (available through the How-To Guide on Cell Phones in the stickies - right at the top of the first Audio & Telematics page)? The links will take you to the bulletins (you may have to OK the download, i.e., "trust" the site). Note that there are two different bulletins that could apply to your car, depending on its VIN. The correct bulletin will help you locate the necessary wiring, which is most likely already in place.

In either case your car will need an Autosense PSE if one is not installed; and it will need version coding to make it work properly. Please refer to the How-To Guide for more information, now that you know what system your car uses. You need not go beyond the first nine posts in the How-To Guide, but please read the ones that apply as set out in the "Which Posts Apply?" section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.