Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

The aftermarket command replacement market just massively expanded

10K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  tonysmallz 
#1 ·
ladies and gentlemen, feast your eyes.
Mercedes-Benz | Android Car DVD Player, Touch Screen for Mercedes | Xtrons | Xtrons

This company offers drop in replacements for command units in nearly every model equipped with standard copper lines AND most fiber optics.

BTW, I am not affiliated with XTRONS at all, besides the fact that i installed their PF75M211A model in my 2005 E320 CDI about 6 months ago. I can personally attest to the quality of these units. They are made very well, have decent hardware, and their customer service is great as well.

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask, since I've gone through the installation process and have delt with it for 6 months.

#3 ·
I've got a 2012 S63 (W221) with the Harmon Kardon audio.

I'm about to do a major audio system upgrade. I'm not looking for a head unit since I already have a Sony RSX-GS9 ready to go in, along with the new Helix DSP Pro MK2.

I do need to integrate the speaker outputs from the Harmon Kardon amplifier into my Helix DSP Pro2 so that I will have the option of using the factory sources with the new system.

Does this company do any wiring harnesses to help integrate into the Harmon Kardon amp without cutting the wires? We will cut if we have to, but always nice to avoid if possible.

#4 ·
The fiber optic Interface basically converts analog input into digital optical output that the MOST amp can understand.

Hooking it up is pretty easy. you take the 2 orange fiber lines that go into the back of the radio, remove them from the factory plug, and insert them into the fiber interface. It HAS to be the fiber wires from the radio, NOT the CD changer. The other 2 connections are ground and battery+. the battery connection NEEDs to be constant, it can't be spliced into a switched source. the other interface (the ones for the SUV's) have a 3rd wire which i believe is ACC, which would be connected to a switched source.

so as far as cutting wires, all you need to do is find a chassis ground and a battery+ connection, you wouldn't even need to cut wires, just cut back insolation and solder the wire, then heat shrink.
as for cutting wires for the sony radio, i have no idea what you're going to have to do. There is no harness for these newer benz's with the MOST systems, theres only 3 other wires (usually) that plug into the OEM command unit. youre probably going to have to cut wires. i ended up cutting back insulation and soldering, that way the OEM unit can still be connected in the future if i need to.

#5 ·
So we can use a MOST interface?

I contacted mObridge and they told me that the DA1 preamp would not work on the 2012 S class because Mercedes moved the MOST gateway to be inside the head unit, or something along those lines.

Do you have a link or part number to the interfect you are referencing?

#6 ·
Yes, here is the website to the MOST interface unit that I have.

http://xtrons.com/fob01-optical-fiber-head-unit-replacement-decoder-for-mercedes-benz.html

From the website it looks like these are only good for S class's up to MY 2006.

my suggestion would be for you to CAREFULLY take your head unit out of the car, and take a bunch of pictures both of the back of the HU and of the wiring harness (and plug) and then upload them here. That way i can tell if you have fiber connections coming out of the HU.

I don't see how the amp could be built Into the head unit, that doesn't make sense.

#8 ·
For $600 its definitely a significant upgrade over the factory head unit. Having modern navigation and completely integrated Bluetooth very nice.

#10 ·
Here's the fiber interface that goes with all the non SUV's, including your SL:

http://xtrons.com/fob01-optical-fiber-head-unit-replacement-decoder-for-mercedes-benz.html

Its $100, This allows you to take ANY analog input from literally any radio with stereo output, and turns it into the optical output that the MOST amp understands.

So even though there's not a drop in replacement Android head unit made for your SL (there may be, I would do some searching on eBay or Ali Express.)
You can take any single din or double din radio you want and make it work. There are dash kits made for the SL I believe to fill the surrounding hole.

#11 ·
Thanks for the link.

The description says S class, but only for model years 2004-2006.

My S63 is a 2012.

I'm wondering if this will work or not?

The concept is similar to the mObridge, but the guys at mObridge said their preamp does not work with the W221 S class because of where the MOST gateway is located.

#12 ·
Thanks for the link.

The description says S class, but only for model years 2004-2006.

My S63 is a 2012.

I'm wondering if this will work or not?
like i said earlier, pull your head unit out CAREFULLY and see what kind of connections are made there, if there's any fiber connections.

Here's a video of the command unit/cd changer being removed from a W221, should be the same as yours. those fiber connections i believe still go to the MOST amp, so it would still work.

#13 ·
However, due to the complexity of the system, and the fact that the radio controls, the command unit itself, and the display are all in different areas, i think its going to be impossible to find a replacement head unit that will work, period. What are you trying to accomplish by upgrading your command system on your 2012? they make ipod adapters for that system, and there's an SD card slot to play your MP3's from.

#14 ·
#15 ·
I would go with the setup they had done in that link above. That's genius actually. as far as tapping into the board, obviously it would require pretty advanced knowledge in electronics to be able to do something like that, and i would NOT let any local car stereo shops touch it, simply because its far too expensive of a risk should that PCB get ruined. (used replacements run about a grand on ebay)
You wouldn't even need the most interface that we've been talking about here, since there's the factory most analog-digital converter right there. You just have to find where the analog input connects to the digital optical converter on the board.

HOWEVER, if you didn't want to mess with the board or do any soldering to it, that way you could re assemble everything and go back to factory sound (for whatever reason), you would have that option. In that case, you could use the Xtrons fiber bus (i can pretty much guarantee you that it will work now looking at the system, the car still uses the MOST communication system), and plug it in to the fiber wires i have highlighted in the picture below. Just unplug them from the black connector. that would probably be my go to solution. Its only 100 bucks for the fiber interface from xtrons, so its worth a shot.

If you end up doing this i would be really interested in seeing the result.

#16 ·
Or if you're feeling extra adventurous, you could try and hunt for the CD changer-in connection to that board, and plug your Sony unit in there. That way you would totally retain complete factory function (radio, nav, etc) and use that high end Sony unit as your "cd changer"

#19 ·
No, the Sony RSX-GS9 is going to be fed directly into my aftermarket DSP, bypassing the Mercedes audio system completely.

Everything in my audio system will be changed out. New speakers. New amplifiers. New DSP. And the Sony will be the primary audio source.

The only reason I am attempting to integrate the Mercedes audio is to retain the navigation voice and Bluetooth phone audio over my new sound system.

The best possible method of doing this would have been to use a mObridge DA1 preamp. However, the people at mObridge said that the W221 S class was not compatible with their MOST preamp because Mercedes moved the "MOST Gateway" to be inside of the head unit. This design change means that their preamp cannot work on these cars anymore. It's really too bad, because I use the DA1 preamp in my Audi S6 currently and it's fantastic.

I think ultimately I'm going to have to use a JL Audio FiX 82 to convert the speaker level outputs from the Harmon Kardon amplifier into optical digital out.

I did order one of the Xtron FOB01 MOST converters, but I am not very confident that it will work on my car. I think this would be for the same reason the mObridge doesn't work.

#21 ·
I just picked up an '06 S500 and am interested in one of these head units. Like yours I'll need the analog/fiber optic converter.

Do you have L/R/Front/Back balance and fader controls?
Do you use an iPhone and does it work connected via usb? I prefer a wired connection to bluetooth for audio and the phone stays charged.

Does it do AirPlay from an iPhone.

Are you still happy with it? The Command system is really showing its and I won't miss anything from it.

Thanks

#26 ·
The W210 was equipped with a single DIN radio. i dont believe the W210 was never equipped with factory NAV. it didn't have any type of fiber optics for the audio system either, so installing an aftermarket system is easy. I installed an aftermarket Clarion head unit in my 99 E300D.

As for a GPS/nav system, you would have to go with a single DIN aftermarket replacement that has one of those pop out screens and NAV ability. They're a bit Pricey but they're out there.

#25 · (Edited)
To the best of my knowledge, no 1997 Mercedes was ever equipped with a gps or navigation system. Those began to be introduced in the 2000 model year. As a result, you probably have a radio, and the space to fit a modern gps unit is not available.

You are probably best advised to go to a high-end audio shop and let them make recommendations for a 3rd party unit that will give you the features you want. They would be best equipped to determine what might fit in the space available, or to make recommendations for modifications to accept the unit you select.

If you only need voice turn instructions and a small map will do, you could consider using navigation software for your cell phone, and a mount to keep it where you can see it. Apple iPhones have several very good nav apps - Google Earth, Google maps, Apple's own maps, and Garmin maps to name the ones I have on mine. I am sure Android and other phones have versions as well. Some phone mounts also have built-in speakers so you can hear better, or they will have outputs that can be fed to your audio system. I used such a system with my phone in a 1978 vintage Mercedes.

#29 · (Edited)
You ask a question the answer to which is highly subjective. I'll try to give you enough information to help you to decide which way to go.

Your existing audio system is entirely D2B fiber optic, and the cost and ease of changing out your COMAND to something else will be determined by whether you retain existing components, or go entirely to a copper wire system.

The very first post in this thread has a link that shows a number of options; and yes, there are others such as the Pioneer brand you mentioned.

For more on system upgrades or modifications, see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/aud...-systems-replacement-upgrade-enhancement.html

#30 ·
You ask a highly subjective question. Your existing audio system is entirely D2B fiber optic, and the cost and ease of changing out your COMAND to something else will be determined by whether you retain existing components, or go entirely to a copper wire system.

The very first post in this thread has a link that shows a number of options; and yes, there are others such as the Pioneer brand you mentioned.

For more on system upgrades or modifications, see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/aud...-systems-replacement-upgrade-enhancement.html
Skylaw if you not it or not you have been helping me with my cars for years, thank you

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.