Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2004 S500 Navigation Question

6K views 29 replies 4 participants last post by  Gcarpenter 
#1 ·
NEXT WEEK, I take possession of an 04 S500 with navigation. As such, I have no clue what state the maps are in so I am assuming it is stock as it came. So, what is the latest and greatest update I can have for GPS that might be as good or as close to the latest handheld GPS?

What must I do? Update the firmware? How? Also, what is the latest map I could use? I can't believe that 2011 is it.

TIA for all help

#6 · (Edited)
It is also possible that to get ETA to destination, a navigation firmware update (not the map data update) is required. Perhaps this has changed since I last updated (v. 13, 2014, before I traded my W220), but that's how it was,

The original firmware allows one to enter nav data while the car is moving (I used to have my passenger do that, on occasion). After the update, while you get ETA, you lose the ability to enter nav data while moving.

The W220 S-Class Encyclopedia has several links to discussions that set all of this out (though it takes some reading). Just keep in mind that the map update and the nav firmware update are two different things.

Ex-fed and Gcarpenter are correct about the latest map update. I do not know why MB and HERE Maps continue to put out bad information. Perhaps they think listing Maybach covers the W220. I don't think so, even if they share much of the same chassis.

#10 ·
I'd much rather not lose the ability to input on the fly. So do I have to get the update to load the latest maps? What other abilities does this update give me besides ETA? Ideally I'd like both the ETA and ability to enter input on the fly but if I had to choose, I'd sacrifice ETA.

#8 ·
This is the version I use in my 03 e500 that has the 05 e500 command system installed.

2016 Mercedes-Benz North America-Canada Map DVD Harman Becker Comand NTG1 v.15 | Car Navigation DVD Maps2016 Mercedes Benz North America-Canada Map DVD Harman Becker Comand NTG1 Version 15 Update includes over 6.7 million miles of roads and over 2.82016 Mercedes-Benz North America-Canada Map DVD Harman Becker Comand NTG1 v.15 Mercedes Part# bq 6 46 0338

#12 ·
Turn key to position one, turn on command, after command boots, hit the nav button and released it, then hold the nav button and the number 5 button, you will hear a beep, wait a few more seconds and the service mode menu will appear, scroll down until you get to "SERVICE NAVI-UPDATE" Make sure the service dvd is in the nav processor, the system will update. I paid $19.67 for this service disc on ebay.

#14 ·
But you did say I would lose the ability to enter data on the fly and we must pull over so even if the wife were there, she cannot enter data till we pull over, right? Any other difference I would see besides the ETA in that update? Also, is there a way to get the ETA WITHOUT that update? TIA.

#17 ·
I'm not sure you can use the latest nav maps without the firmware update. My W211 wouldn't, not sure on the W220.

Just be careful with the nav dvd purchase, some vendors are trying to pass off BQ 6 46 0328 as the latest, it is not, ending in 0338 is the latest.

#22 ·
SKYLAW: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/aud...-re-command-aps-upgrade-mode.html#post2738668

Starbrite mentions in the second linked post above that the COMAND unit update may remove access to the Engineering Menu (no big loss - little need for the owner to access it) and also removes the ability to make nav entries in motion. He goes on further to say that the dealer can re-implement the nav entries in motion feature (I often ask my passenger to make these entries while traveling, so it is useful).
Any idea if this still holds true?

#23 ·
Pretty decent rule of thumb.. if a Nav disk doesnt cost 250'ish dollars, then its an unlicensed copy. Caveat Emptor.

#26 · (Edited)
Aklim,

My '05 did not require a Nav firmware update OR a COMAND system update to use v.13 (2014). Also, because. However, I had kept its maps up to date year by year, it required no "interim update" for the nav disc. My last update was v.13, for 2014, not long before I traded the car. See post 30 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1333871-comand-questions-3.html for a discussion of the differences in the nav firmware update and the "interim" updates.

Some members have reported success with nav updates, without an interim update, through v.13 after not having updated since they purchased the car (MY '04 -'06). I have not tracked the updates since trading, but your link to the 2015-2016 disc on the MB site seems legitimate.

And Ex-Fed is absolutely correct about the cost - a legitimate nav DVD will cost about $250 or so.

BTW - if you buy your nav DVD through the dealer and it won't update because it needs the "interim" update, they will often do that free. The only problem in going through the dealer is that you may have to argue him into getting you the part number you need; many of them are not aware of the labeling problem that is STILL unresolved between HERE maps and MB. They may insist that only a much older version is available. The reason is that only the older discs list the W220 specifically; the newer ones list Maybach. The ones that I purchased listing Maybach worked in my '05 W220, even though the Maybach COMAND has different firmware that the W220.

#30 ·
A couple ways to tell if you need a command update is to push the SERV button, if an E class and a CLS class car is displayed chances are you have the latest command update. You can also go into engineering mode and see what version you have, the latest command software version is 46/2006. To use the version 15 nav DVD, I had to update the nav processor with W211-589-15-22-00.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.