Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

IDEA:Can following work as a simple OBD-II multiplexer?

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  markokos 
#1 ·
Just wondering if it is possible to make (a working) simple OBD multiplexer, according to wiring diagrams at least some of the OBD outputs have already "multiplexed", meaning connected together (in my case W163 400 CDI).

Many of low cost OBD readers seem to be connected with D9 connector having limited capacity compared to 16 pin OBD if make/model specific lines are used. I'm currently using Elmscan Bluetooth scanner connected to vehicle with limited (9) number of wires.

I think follwing is needed;
- full connected 16 Pin OBD connector, fully wired to the "BOX"
- the "BOX" having some wires (ground, power, CAN lines...) connected directly thru and rest of connected as on/off swithed (for example with DIP switch) into one output wire, for example corresponding to OBD/pin 15= D-connector pin 8 (Instrument Cluster).
- OBD reader connected to the "BOX"

Each of the switched lines can be connected to use Instrument Cluster channel as their own, either one by one or as multiplexed by connecting all/several at once.

Following tries (not well) to illustrate cable with the "BOX" (without any pin assignment). Sorry about format.

HTML:
#OBD            the"BOX"         D9
#4                                1
#5        _________________       2
#6        !---------------!       3
#7        !-------!!      !       4
#8==/=16==!------ !!------!==/=9==5
#9        !-------!!      !       6
#10       !_______________!       7
#11                               8
#12                               9
Comments?
  • Works?
  • Strong maybe?
  • Weak maybe?
  • Breaks everything?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.