Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

w211 new comand 2008/2009?

291K views 518 replies 71 participants last post by  alema 
#1 ·
Does anybody know anything about this new comand?

I've heard some rumours that it fits perfectly when you have older audio 20 cd installed! just plug and play, because it has internal AWG like audio 20cd and plugs are same also.

See less See more
#120 ·
Just meaning this:
iPod: Operation via multifunctional steering wheel > Switch NOT POSSIBLE to POSSIBLE

Is this something you have to do to get the steering wheel TEL buttons to work or do they work without this specific setting?
At the moment when I press the (steering wheel) answer button, the display says "Function unavailable" (with Audio 20 CD I did NOT have any telephone).

#126 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

GOOD NEWS!!!
Finally everything is working!
I visited another dealer this morning and they were able to code my car's instrument cluster. I don't really know what they did, but everything is working fine now. They said that they had to add this comand as an option to the vehicle's data card (?) first, and then they could code the instrument cluster.

I can now confirm that the new Comand NTG 2.5 is 99% compliant with 2005 CLS (W219). The 1% is the non-opening cd changer lid on center panel (this is confirmed on other forums also).

I have also installed a new OEM iPod interface, which I can now use with steering wheel controls.

MILLION THANKS TO EVERYONE who helped me with this case.

Here are some pictures (sorry the bad quality) of the cluster. As a new feature the vehicle's clock is now syncronized with Comand (GPS).

Attachments

#128 ·
Hi guys,

GOOD NEWS!!!
Finally everything is working!
I visited another dealer this morning and they were able to code my car's instrument cluster. I don't really know what they did, but everything is working fine now. They said that they had to add this comand as an option to the vehicle's data card (?) first, and then they could code the instrument cluster.
Which option code does the US NTG2.5 come with? I thought in Europe both the new and the old came with the same option code, but I did not check this.

The SCN code is coming from the info on your data card. Once your dealer modifies the data card, the SCN code would appear differently. Have you checked how you data card looks like now (if you don't have access, let someone find it for you).

#127 ·
Very nice! How much was the entire procedure for the new NTG2.5? I just got the Fuel Tank Capacity display enabled which shows the how many Gallons or Liter if have left in the tank and the time and date as well inside the cluster display. Nothing to survive but nice features and two more things that became visible out of the depths of the electronic forest of a Mercedes.

#130 ·
The costs of this retrofit
1200€ for comand
125€ for adapter set
250€ for OEM iPod interface
150€ for coding at dealer (2 visits, first with nil results)
---------
1725€ all together.

Plus some sweat and tears with coding.
The actual retrofit (changing the components) was easy, as described earlier.

Is it worth it?
Comparing to the old Audio 20 CD, there is lot of new features:
-HDD Navigation
-Bluetooth telephone interface
-Video playback
-CD playback with gracenote database info
-SD card slot
-Mucic register on HDD
(-iPod interface)

#134 · (Edited)
Hello

I have fitted the new BD0880 and linked all the CAN-B (H/L), speakers and power.
The unit is able to power up. However after about 15 secs or so the unit just hang. If the radio is on, the screen n buttons are not funtionable when it hangs but the radio is still on. It will then after about 60 secs, it turns itself off.

Before the unit hangs, the Instrument Display and Steering Control is functioning correctly.

Do i need to do any programming? or use STAR DIAGNOSIS to activate the unit?

DIESELBENZ, can you please tell me what is SDS? thank you

Please advice

thank you

#138 ·
I've found someone who can upgrade my old DVD-based Comand 2.0 to a new HDD-based Comand 2.5 - for a price. But I am trying to work out whether the extra features I'll get are worth it. Does anyone have an electronic copy of the instruction manual for the new Comand that I could take a look at, to compare with my old one ? If so, can you mail it to matmos@swunger.com ?

#147 ·
Hi
I have found the problem to my unit.
If i were to dismantle the hard disk then the New COmand works normal except without hard disk, The HDD is the one causing the unit to hang and reboot.

When i plug the hard disk to the PC through USB/IDE coverter, they seems to have bad cluster and I repair it.

#154 ·
Why would anyone buy from these shops if the buyer would have to pay more than for a shop where no postage needs to be paid? I understand these shops get them at a good discount and still make profit when selling at a lower cost (marginally perhaps) than MB dealers for ordinary customers.

Used devices are a different thing. There are several legit sources for used equipment (totalled cars, a previous owner upgrading to something different etc.).

The higher end prices may not reflect the current price level though, I have not followed or tried which price they really want to sell at.

#161 · (Edited)
So I was quoted incorrectly? Or the 211 pn# is cheaper? Kinda odd---

On the retrofit response---MB does not approve of, or even state it is possible, to retrofit the new COMAND to any vehicle other than a MY09 (option code 809) vehicle.

I see US ML/GL as 164 870 71 94 for 6 disc DVD

Does that show $1943 or $943? DNET or MSRP?

#179 ·
i think there is a misconception here: the old W211 had an AGW/amplifier in the boot... any new platform with NTG2.5 that has HK has only an amplifier in the back. This is because the AGW is now built into the NTG2.5 comand.

so to reiterate: older W211 HK system has an AGW+amplifier in the back. newer W211 HK system has a different part that is only an amplifier.

This is why the older parts do not work. same goes for the CDC in the center console. The NTG2.5 supports internal DVD changer (or singled disc), *not* CD changer. The old CDC with the motorized door will not work. All of these things need to be removed from the MOST ring.

#183 ·
The old AGW had a radio tuner, or two or those while those are not needed with the NTG2.5 device that has these. I don't know if the head unit needs to be coded otherwise in addition to setting the AGW component present in the ring.

Edited: I see I should not have talked about AGW but a box that appears at the trunk like AGW on earlier cars. Glad to see rob explaining all the details.

Thank you very much for this!
now i just need to fing a HK amplifier and some speakers. any sugestions apart from my local dealer and ebay?
Will i need to get the Headunit reprogramed for HK?
Is the interface between the amp and the NTG2.5 a fibre connection?

#180 ·
A few more things about the conversion:

if you got a US NTG2.5 it may have been programmed for the external HD radio tuner. if this is so then the antenna inputs on the rear of the unit will not function until the unit is reprogammed. In addition The older units had an antenna output either at the AGW or at the comand. The NTG2.5 does not which means that you will need to locate that wire and connect it to 12v switched source (*not* 12v constant or your battery will go dead).

Aux inputs have moved to new locations depending on the model that the comand came out of, if the comand was set up for media interface then it expects the aux inputs to be routed to the UMI instead of the comand. again, the comand will need to be reprogrammed.

rear camera (if you had it)moved from the 40 pin to is own (green) connector.

Nav: some euro commands do not come with nav or harddrive... others have a different map database. If you do not have the nav/harddrive and want to add them there is a company the will be selling kits for them shortly. If the map is wrong the database can be changed by reprogramming the nard drive with the correct map. Again the same company that sells the nav feature will be offering prope maps. (its not me, im just passing the info along if anyone happens to want this).

Programming: chances are that your NTG2.5 unit may need programming. This is for things like turning on the rear camera, music server, rear seat entertainment in/out and dual zone functions, 50/60hz, DVD region code, etc. If you need programming done you have 3 choices:

1. normal SCN coding: you go to your local dealer and have them update the vehicle card to reflect what you supposedly have installed (e.g. you tell them you installed NTG2.5 and the factory rear seat and camera) and they send that info to HQ which updates your card. then the radio will automatically reprogram via SDS. this is a pain in that most dealers do not know how to do this and many will not do it anyway if its not MB authorized.

2. developer mode coding: some shops have a special version of SDS machine that has a developer mode. regular dealers usually never do. with developer mode you can change most of the features one by one relatively easily. Again, the person has to know what they are doing.

3. programmer module: my company builds programmer modules. you tell me what features you want activated and buy or rent a programmer to code your comand for exactly what features you want. It gets shipped right to your door and you just plug it in and its done... no dealer or sds machine needed.

I hope this helps answer alot of these questions. Ive been getting like a million pm's lately that go something like: "Hi I bought a comand on ebay and it was supposed to just plug in but nothing matches and nothing is working properly and can you help me with step by step instructions for everything...."

I dont mind helping people out but its gotten kind of rediculous lately... doing a comand swap is not always easily done and this looks to be one of those cases. Ill help with some info if its really not easy to find anywhere else but anyone who is trying to DIY this should get a subscription to star.net as almost everything needed is available there. otherwise it might be time to find a local shop and pay them to do the work.

#181 ·
A few more things about the conversion:

Programming: chances are that your NTG2.5 unit may need programming. This is for things like turning on the rear camera, music server, rear seat entertainment in/out and dual zone functions, 50/60hz, DVD region code, etc. If you need programming done you have 3 choices:

1. normal SCN coding: you go to your local dealer and have them update the vehicle card to reflect what you supposedly have installed (e.g. you tell them you installed NTG2.5 and the factory rear seat and camera) and they send that info to HQ which updates your card. then the radio will automatically reprogram via SDS. this is a pain in that most dealers do not know how to do this and many will not do it anyway if its not MB authorized.

2. developer mode coding: some shops have a special version of SDS machine that has a developer mode. regular dealers usually never do. with developer mode you can change most of the features one by one relatively easily. Again, the person has to know what they are doing.

3. programmer module: my company builds programmer modules. you tell me what features you want activated and buy or rent a programmer to code your comand for exactly what features you want. It gets shipped right to your door and you just plug it in and its done... no dealer or sds machine needed.

Hi Rob,

I did an upgrade from Audio 20 CD to NTG 2.5 Comand which installed perfectly.
In my adapter set the 12v for the antenna is coming from pin #7 on Block B (Cradle Compensator) and that seems to work.

The only thing that does not work (besides the CD changer door) is the communication between the new Comand and SDS. SDS displays a communication problem with AGW. (The failure was displayed when I visited a MB dealer who performed the instrument cluster coding.)

For future upgrades (rear wiev camera, etc), can you confirm that the communication problem can be solved.

Regards

#185 ·
everything is working

Hi,
Thanks evryone in this forum. Finally everything is working perfectly. I have retrofited my AUDIO 20 to new comand ntg 2,5.

The cost:
Comand NTG 2,5 - 817 EUR
Adapter set + bluetooth microfone - 118 EUR
Instrument cluster with coded navi and phone - 40 EUR
Work - 0 (I did it my self)
All together : 975 EUR :) + I have new silver instrument cluster with white backround insted my old black.

#186 ·
Hi,
Thanks evryone in this forum. Finally everything is working perfectly. I have retrofited my AUDIO 20 to new comand ntg 2,5.

The cost:
Comand NTG 2,5 - 817 EUR
Adapter set + bluetooth microfone - 118 EUR
Instrument cluster with coded navi and phone - 40 EUR
Work - 0 (I did it my self)
All together : 975 EUR :) + I have new silver instrument cluster with white backround insted my old black.
Good work, where did you get Comand with that price?

#192 ·
Hi all,
I've been around here for a while, just reading though.
I want to upgrade my W211 2008 from Audio 20 CD to NTG 2.5, I don't have HK and telephone. What should I choose for my upgrade, BD0880 or BZ9880 with a DVD changer? I read all post in this topic and cannot find the answer. Plus, what do i need additionally to install the new comand beside the harness from Kabeldavico and the access to SDS?
many tks

#206 ·
Okay guys, I now have the single DVD Comand NTG2.5 and am waiting for the retrofit cables from Kabeldaviko before beginning the retrofit on my 2008 W219 CLS350, which currently has the full Comand APS unit.

Today I was playing around with my friend's 2009 CLS350, which has the DVD changer version Comand NTG2.5. Like the W204 C63, I can get into the Engineering Menu by pressing and holding "hangup"+"#"+"1" for about 5 seconds. However, when I connected the single DVD Comand NTG2.5 I could not get into the Engineering Menu. I'm surprised that there is a difference between the 2 units - anyone know how to get into Engineering Menu on the NTG2.5 single DVD player version?

Also, can the Rear Camera or Video Aux options be set via the Star diagnostic software? Because of the 2008 car coding, I doubt that Star would recognize the NTG2.5 once it's retrofitted, then how can I set the options in the NTG2.5 to enable either the Rear Camera or Video Aux?

Thanks.

#210 ·
Today I was playing around with my friend's 2009 CLS350, which has the DVD changer version Comand NTG2.5. Like the W204 C63, I can get into the Engineering Menu by pressing and holding "hangup"+"#"+"1" for about 5 seconds. However, when I connected the single DVD Comand NTG2.5 I could not get into the Engineering Menu. I'm surprised that there is a difference between the 2 units - anyone know how to get into Engineering Menu on the NTG2.5 single DVD player version?

Also, can the Rear Camera or Video Aux options be set via the Star diagnostic software? Because of the 2008 car coding, I doubt that Star would recognize the NTG2.5 once it's retrofitted, then how can I set the options in the NTG2.5 to enable either the Rear Camera or Video Aux?

Thanks.
the NTG2.5 units come from a different manufacturer, have different OS and even different processor which is why the units react differently. The engineering menu on the W204 was left in by mistake.

To program the cam or video aux you need either an SDS with engineering mode enabled or you need to have your vehicle card changed to reflect that you have the newer comand and that you have the cam and aux installed. (only the dealer can do this). then you can use a networked SDS to SCN code the comand to turn the features on.

otherwise you can get the aftermarket programming piece to set the features on instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.