Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

w211 new comand 2008/2009?

291K views 518 replies 71 participants last post by  alema 
#1 ·
Does anybody know anything about this new comand?

I've heard some rumours that it fits perfectly when you have older audio 20 cd installed! just plug and play, because it has internal AWG like audio 20cd and plugs are same also.

See less See more
#49 ·
Hey Rick, been watching your progress with some interest, as I've been thinking about upgrading my SLK to the NGT2.5+ unit.

There are at least a couple of SLK owners who have attempted this with mixed results. As has been mentioned before, the CAN messaging is different, and both installs I'm aware of have had problems with the MFD display and steering controls.

Both installs also bypassed the AGW completely (one didn't have one - was an A20 upgrade). We have things a bit easier as the AGW in the SLK is under the passenger footwell, so the wiring run is not that long. The connectors (both male and female) are available, but I'm not sure where they got them from.

As Diesel as mentioned before, the wiring diagrams are available from WIS, and you can purchase a WIS subscription on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis - if you are modding your car a lot, it's a good deal and valuable resource. All of the diagrams are copyright MB, so it's not a legal option for members to share them.

#51 ·
Rick - rob13572468 is pretty much *the* expert on Mercedes CAN implementation. I've read elsewhere that the MY2008 CAN-B signaling differs from the previous years. This seems to be the case in the instances I referred to in the previous post, where the MFD and steering controls did not work. I also suspect, but can't confirm that the MOST signaling has changed as well, since a number of MOST aftermarket products do not work on MY2008 and later cars.

I'd think it would be best to hook the unit up to power and CAN, and see if the MFD and steering wheel controls worked. PLEASE note that I do NOT know firsthand what the minimum number of connections that would be necessary to test....

#52 ·
Ya, i think you are absolutely right, from the reply you get in this forum, i can assumed that ROB13572468 is a very knowledgable guy. He must have special interest in this kind of stuff. He will be the guy that shud b able to help us out. I think he is now pretty busy with some other things, he has not reply to me yet, i have emailed to him privately.
We just got to be patient to wait for him to be less buzy, then i m sure he will be there for us...

however, if any others who are able to help please do contribute to make this BENZWORLD forum to be the BEST in the universe!!!

Cheers

P/S Please help me so that i can celebrate XMAS in my car...

#59 ·
Is there no connector names printed at the device? You said you have the wiring diagram, the connector and pin numbers appear there. Can't you use TV tuner input?

I suggest you try to work a bit harder before asking Rob, he is too valuable at the forum for more complicated things.

#66 ·
I did not claim I was up to with the thread, I just referred to one of the individual posts. :eek:

The new device has pretty much the same wiring as the simple Audio 20 CD unit (available in Europe at least). This is a self-contained head unit equally as the new Comand. The new unit does not fit well on an older car with Comand, as odd as it feels.

The older Comand does not fit well either with the older car with Audio 20 CD because the Comand needs the AGW while there is none with a basic Audio 20 CD (plus other issues).

#68 · (Edited)
To put some fuel on this topic:

I retrofitted the new NTG 2.5 Comand into my 2005 CLS (W219). The original equipment was Audio 20 CD without CD Changer.

What I needed was:
- NTG 2.5 Comand unit
- Adapter set for the Quadlok connector, since the wiring is different
- Microphone lead and new microphone, since my car was not equipped with telephone option.
- Bluetooth antenna with 60 cm wire with Fakra Connector
- GPS antenna with Fakra connector

With all this equipment it was a plug-and-play :thumbsup:.

The new Comand works fine:
- Radio works normally, also steering wheel controls are working.
- CDs and DVDs are working normally.
- Nav works fine with the new antenna (behind dashboard).
- Telephone Bluetooth link works fine.

What is still missing is the TEL and NAV information on the Multi-function display, since nothing is recoded.
The steering wheel TEL buttons are inop.
Also the center panel (cd changer) door stopped working (does not open any more), possibly because of some issue with Can codes. Anyhow that is not a big deal, because I don't have a cd changer. All the buttons (seat heating, etc) are working normally.

#74 ·
UPGRADE Audio20 with AGW to NEW COMAND NTG2.5

i am taking this challenge to built a set of wire harness to east the installation of the NEW Comand NTG 2.5, Model BD0880 (single DVD) or BZ9880 (with 6 CDC). By having this harness it will make the installation a DIY rather then the one that need professional installer.

I will find ways to connect and extend the Radio Aerial, GPS Antenna, Speakers (4 sets), CAN-B High/Low from the AGW at the trunk to the NEW COMAND NTG2.5.

I will also make the installation simple by having the harness connected to the QUADLOCK on one end.

If there is anyone interested please email to me and if the numbers are right, I will invest to fabricate the cable so anyone will be able to upgrade to the lastest 2008/09 NEW COMAND.

I will buy the tools and clamp and try to make the cable to be of high quality and later make a instruction manual as a guide.

I will take this project seriously if there is a demand for it.

Please give feedback.

THank You

#83 ·
Hi Polles

THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS
Info provided invaluable.

You probably made the difference between keeping the old NTG1 and selling the NTG2.5 and going forward with the upgrade.

The rest now for the final decision will be to decide to throw away the CDC and the factory fitted telephone !!!

Thanks again

P.S. Anything you need from Athens - Greece Please ask

#88 · (Edited)
Hi Polles

The rest now for the final decision will be to decide to throw away the CDC and the factory fitted telephone !!!
Hi gmatj,

if you really have the Audio 20 CD cabling in your car, you could invest some 100 €uros more to NTG 2.5 adapter set, and make a testdrive with the new command.
Most propably you can always sell the BD0880 and the adapter set as a package, if you're not satisfied.

Btw, Linguatronic is not working in my configuration. The comand unit is linguatronic-capable, but car needs some more hardware (at least the lever, propably something else also).

#85 ·
Hi Poles
CAn you also confirm the following
2 x white fakra ---> RADIO ANTENNA
1 x yellow fakra --> BLUETOOTH ANTENNA
1 x green fakra ---> REVERSE CAMERA
1 x blue fakra ----> GPS ANTENNA
and
18pin black conn ---> TV TUNER (in the middle)
Thanks in advance
George

#87 ·
What I can confirm are

2 x white fakra ---> RADIO ANTENNA
1 x yellow fakra --> BLUETOOTH ANTENNA
1 x blue fakra ----> GPS ANTENNA

since these are what are used in my configuration so far.
By testing I found out that radio will work, if the wire is in either position in white double-fakra connector.

My upgrade was from basic Audio 20 CD, so I got a lot of new features to play with.

#95 ·
So, I visited the workshop today.
Bad news, nothing has changed - still no information of telephone or navigation on the multifunction display, cd changer door not opening.:crybaby2:

The SDS claims that it can't communicate with Comand. This is propably a compatibility issue with hardware.

Anyhow, I thought that I could have NAV and TEL information on Instrument Cluster.
Now I have two questions for (SDS) experts:
1. Does the system need to find the equipments before you can program the vehicle?
2. Or can you just tell the vehicle that it has these systems even if SDS does not find (or communicate with) them?

#96 ·
I'm no SDS expert but if you are after the cluster version coding to activate the phone menu and phone buttons, I don't see why Comand would need to be present or identified. A different issue if the signalling from the cluster is understood by the new Comand and vice versa (but didn't someone already confirm this?).

#98 ·
Yes, you are right - we use the little silver button on the door. Except it does not work with NTG 2.5.

I thought there was some broken wire or loose connector when I installed the Comand at the first time. I re-tested with old Audio 20 CD, and the door opened normally. Re-installed the Comand and the door remains closed.
So there is definitely some connection between these issues.
All other buttons on the door are working normally.

I have seen another topic of this same problem - if you replace your audio with an aftermarket unit, the door does not open.

#112 ·
This sounds promising! I read your post at MBWorld, Congratulations!
Do you have all the information from NAV and TEL on instrument cluster?
Do the steeringwheel telephone buttons work?
You also have the linguatronic working. Did you install the whole switch or just the lever for linguatronic?
Did the linguatronic need any coding (of car).

Regards

#108 ·
Your funny. I went through 4 different SA's at MB of San Diego (they are all gone) I went to 2 different other MB dealerships here and now I'm checking here and there a certified MB shop but they don't do everything. Mainly scheduled maintenance only. So I'm running out of SA's unless the dealerships keep hiring new ones hehe!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.