Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Using MCS II in Europe

22K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  tommyt_tiger 
#1 ·
Hi,

is there anybody out there who could get me some insight on the the Alpine MCS II unit's testing/debug menu? Often I read that this unit cannot be changed from US to European frequency spacing - but looking at the screen below I doubt whether this is correct, because there is an entry that reads 'Pattern : US', which implies that there is another pattern available?

Coincidentally I found a 'debug mode' from where one can change and save certain settings, unfortunately not the US/EU pattern - or at least I did not find it.

It is a shame that Alpine/DB make it so difficult for us to use their US system in Europe. From an engineering point of view they would be stupid to create different systems for both continents. Some Chrysler navigation systems are made by Alpine, both for US and Europe, yet they are not compatible although their hardware components are identical. The structure of these US navigation DVDs looks like the one of the MCS II.

RB1 (Chrysler)

MCSII

It wouldn't surprise me too much if there was a way to re-program a MCS II system so it works perfectly well in Europe. Is it correct that a flash update is initiated when the unit detects a certain code, e.g. a higher version number of the DVD? Is there a chance to force a US unit to flash a EU code - any wrecked MCS IIs out there already due to this kind of experiment? :confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
You could try it with SDS, very often the radio (channel raster) can be changed but I doubt the navigation feature would work, where would you get a compatible map disc?

It isn't too often that cars travel between US and Europe and the requirements for the head units are a bit different, it would introduce redundancy on both devices if exactly the same unit was used on both continents. Depends on volumes if an optimised unit makes sense. I've understood that regulations have also introduced differences. Also it is more of MBs interest to make it difficult to transport vehicles from the US to the rest of the world, unfortunately (for us outside the US).

#3 ·
Dear Friend USCLK05,

I have the same problem with you.I imported a 2007 ML320 from US last month and it has a MCS II in it.It works perfect but I cann't find European maps.All the dealers I've visited tells me to change with a Becker Comand APS but because I think that Alpine MCS II is much better I'm trying to solve the problem.If you find any solution please write to me.

#5 ·
MCS II in Europe

Comand would accept the DVD 4,7GB DVD+RW, but not display correctly my position no map no accept the input of data.

First the Us Navigation DVD 6,9 GB but possible to write in DVD+RW 4.7 GB.
MB-Navi-US-work-small3.jpg

I Change the :
DCA0.AR0 to European Disc kT064EU22x06b01g32c.DB_GDB
DCA0.AR1 to European Disc kT064EU22x06b01.DB_XAC
DCA0.AR2 to US Disc /HAWAII/DSCA0.AR2
U0001_01.BAS to US Disc /HAWAII/U0001_01.BAS
U0001_02.BAS to US Disc /HAWAII/U0001_01.BAS

Youtube Video :
YouTube - Mercedes US Comand in Europa

#17 ·
Comand would accept the DVD 4,7GB DVD+RW, but not display correctly my position no map no accept the input of data.

First the Us Navigation DVD 6,9 GB but possible to write in DVD+RW 4.7 GB.
MB-Navi-US-work-small3.jpg

I Change the :
DCA0.AR0 to European Disc kT064EU22x06b01g32c.DB_GDB
DCA0.AR1 to European Disc kT064EU22x06b01.DB_XAC
DCA0.AR2 to US Disc /HAWAII/DSCA0.AR2
U0001_01.BAS to US Disc /HAWAII/U0001_01.BAS
U0001_02.BAS to US Disc /HAWAII/U0001_01.BAS

Youtube Video :
YouTube - Mercedes US Comand in Europa
Hi Neo,

Could you give us some more light here? I'm already running my third version and burning media like crazy, but it just wouldn't work. Of course I'm trying to do the opposite thing from what you did.

Could you please, show us what did the two original DVD file structures look like and what does your target DVD look like? Then could you graphically show which file from one of the original DVDs were replaced by which of the files from the other original DVD so that we understand the structure of the target (the final) DVD?

Thanks a lot. Regards, HF

#7 · (Edited)
To get into the menu in the screenshot: press OK, then while holding OK press 7, now while holding OK and 7 press MUTE. Hold all three for a couple of seconds. It often takes a few tries before you get it quite right. You will hear a beep when the menu pops up.

I have no idea how he got into the menu in the second screenshot.
Pressing the debug button in the Alpine Testmode menu takes you to a different screen on my unit.

#10 ·
I finally figured out how to get into that second screen. It's not actually a second screen at all, it's the first screen you get after applying the OK+7+MUTE pres'n'hold combination, however, you have to be into the NAV menu before applying the combination. The first screen shown in the original posting is when the press'n'hold combination is applied on the AUDIO menu. So the DEBUG mode is very much menu-case-sensitive.

Even so, the radio tuning frequency raster can not be changed this way. One has to visit the dealership and try it with the SDS ... which I'm going to do next week ... and then report back to share it :)

Regards, HF

#9 ·
Where would you find the Euro SW? At least my understanding is that MCS-II units have not been available for any Euro car, it would be Comand instead which would be different.

I'm still puzzled about the youtube link too, it is showing an MCS-II unit working in Saratoga FL, nothing strange in that. Someone explained that it actually is a Euro unit modified to work in the US (on the contrary to the youtube video title) but even that does not work if there is no Euro MCS-II unit to start with. :confused:

#14 ·
European Chrysler DVD in MCS2

Possible to play European Chrysler DVD (name : REJ065_01) in MCS2 if changed 4 file to US disk !
No Clear map no accept the input of data.

I Change the :
DCA0.AR0 to European Chrysler Disc AR.AR0
DCA0.AR1 to European Chrysler Disc AR.AR1
DCA0.AR2 to European Chrysler Disc AR.AR2
U0001_01.BAS to to European Chrysler disc U0001_01.BAS

YouTube - MB-Chrysler2-Eu

#20 ·
Any modification to the cables? Did you have the back-up camera, 6CD changer in dashboard, iPod connection and in hand rest hands free? I am trying to determine if you had similar equipped car and if you had to do any modifications to the electrical system when you switched to european navi.

#23 · (Edited)
NTG2 NTG2,5

No need the modification ! If have Harman/Kardon system possible NTG2.5 is no work fine not have sound (ML,GL-2008).The H/K car old amplifier is not compatibil with ntg2,5 head unite.Should be replaced the amplifier.
Ntg2 work fine witohout any modification you can be replaced !
500Eur was sold the MCS2 and buyed ntg2 500eur and now ntg2.5 800eur.
Ntg2,5 more can : Bluethoot, new 3d navigation, dvd player

#25 ·
US model Alpine to european Command APS

Hi neoNr1:)
Interresteing case. I have a 2008 ML320CDI US model brought over here to Europe (Norway) and have changed the US Command unit into european 2008used Command APS. Also added dvd changer in glove box. Navi for europe is now ok, radio is ok, cd is ok, dvd changer is ok and dvd entertainment rear (original) is ok, BUT .. the MB dealer workshop in Sweden has big problems to get video from the back up camera. They say it is bec US and europe wireing is not the same, US use an outlet/inplug that does not exist on the european model. (TV outlet). Did you or others have to do any changes in connections or codes, wire connections to get back up camera in function??
(European Model BE 6094 A164 820 22 79)
tommyt

#29 ·
Hi Neo and all with reverse camera problem after installed euro Commands in US MB MLs.
Thanks, sorry late answer due to travel. We found out how to get reverse camera in function. I got advice from Paul at Just answers.Mercedes, to order an adapter from this company in UK abt 50Euro. The MB dealer installed it and said ZAPP, ther the backup videocamera was OK!! UK dealers to order adapter Hi Neo and all with reverse camera problem after installed euro Commands in US MB MLs.
Thanks, sorry late answer due to travel. We found out how to get reverse camera in function. I got advice from Paul at Just answers.Mercedes, to order an adapter from this company in UK abt 50Euro. The MB dealer installed it and said ZAPP, ther the backup videocamera was OK!! Follow link

Comand Online Ltd :: COMAND Retrofit parts :: W164 ML/GL & W251 R :: Reversing Camera Adapter for North American cars with European COMAND

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.