Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

HOW-TO GUIDE FOR CELL PHONES (Upgrades, Plug-in And Bluetooth)

598K views 786 replies 265 participants last post by  victorvictor 
#1 · (Edited)
1. This thread addresses the following cell phone upgrade issues for North American specification Mercedes cars: 1) How to add a compatible plug-in phone to replace StarTacs or TimePorts or V60 phones when a service provider will no longer register them; 2) How to convert a StarTac, TimePort, or V60 system to Bluetooth, or to add a Bluetooth system from scratch, in a Model Year ’00 through ’03 Benz; 3) How to add a cell phone to an ’03-’04 E-Class or ’04 S-Class; and 4) Cell phone options for plug-in and Bluetooth for MHI equipped cars (’05 and later). It also briefly addresses 5) compatibility issues and 6) a Tele-Aid digital replacement. So that one does not have to read through useless information, each of the six matters is addressed by a subsequent, same-numbered post in this string.

If you are searching for information on A2DP music streaming, this thread doesn't address it. See the audio systems primer at https://www.benzworld.org/forums/au...o-system-replacement-upgrade-enhancement.html

Note on Newer Cars: Much of this thread has been directed toward pre-2010 models,. The MHI system continued to be used in different North American models through 2009, though beginning with the '08 C-Class, and continuing with the '09 CLS, SL, SLK, and S-Classes, Bluetooth was standard equipment and did not have to be ordered separately. The only thing you need to add is a compatible phone (unless a prior owner has removed the puck). You can see the link for covered models and compatible phones at Mercedes-Benz Bluetooth Connectivity (thanks for pointing that out, lkchris :thumbsup:). Beginning in MY 2010, the COMAND 3.5 used in the S-Class and the CL-Class had Bluetooth built into the COMAND unit, and did not use a separate puck.

I have updated this post as of late April 2008 to account for new equipment such as the "Universal PSE" and the "Cradle eliminator" cable that will aid owners of 2000-2003 cars in equipping their cars for the many new state "hands free" laws. The new equipment will eliminate the need to find older equipment such as "Autosense" PSEs and V60 cradles, which are sometimes in short supply. I thank the contributors who took the time to bring these new devices to my attention.

While post #11 at https://www.benzworld.org/forums/au...ssible-get-telephone-service-2002-e320-2.html provides little but history and background, it may help some to understand the rather complicated posts below just a bit better.

Member Tiffany Twisted has provided the following link to the official Mercedes documentation for MY '00 through '05 OEM phones: https://resources.mbdx.us/files/pdf/MB Phone Manual v4.6.pdf

2. WHICH POSTS APPLY? Please note that in most cases you only need to read several of the first NINE posts!! Most of the critical information needed is in the first seven posts in this thread. If you don't know which fiber optics type your car has, the first page of the phone bulletin for your model and year (pdf below), will tell you (See the "Notes on D2B" or the "MOST Notes" paragraph - the notes tell you which fiber optics system your car has). If you don't know if you have a StarTac, TimePort, or Autosense PSE, check the parts list toward the back of the bulletins.

--If you are installing a plug-in phone in a D2B fiber optics-equipped car that used a StarTac, TimePort, or Autosense PSE, posts 1, 2, 6 and 7 apply.

--If you are installing a Bluetoooth system in a D2B fiber optics-equipped car that used a StarTac, TimePort, or Autosense PSE, posts 1, 3, 6 and 7 apply.

--If you have a car with a CP-211 system instead of a StarTac, Timeport or Autosense PSE (an ’03-’04 W211 E Class, an ’04 S-Class or an '04 CL), posts 1, 4, 6 and 7 apply.

--Last, if you have a MOST Bus equipped car with an MHI phone system, posts 1, 5, and 9 apply.

NOTE: The phone bulletin for your car will make reference to the type of fiber optics you have, but if you need confirmation see post #2 at https://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1439410-do-i-have-d2b-most.html#post3434579 or at page 16, http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/W211_advisor/219 HO Networking (ACB-ICC) 09-03-02.pdf

NOTE: The phone bulletins we lost on Paul H. Dick's site have been reconstituted by member Ex-Fed in a pdf file attached at the bottom of this post. Try the pdf fle first!! The links cover some models dating from '99, most models from '00 through '05, and some from '06. They also contain the CDC installation instructions for some models. In addition, thanks to member Eric (eric32955), if you have trouble with the pdf file links, we have the procedure for getting them that was used by Ex-Fed, which can be used as a backup or alternate source:

1) Go to the Wayback machine site, https://archive.org/web/web.php

2) Enter the complete URL of the file formerly available on Paul's site (example - archive for the 2005 E-series sedan) from Paul's page such as "http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phone%20Install%20Bulletins/2005%20E%20Sedan.pdf". Paul's index page is still up so this can be used as the source for the URL information you'll need. Phone Bulletins

3) The archive search you've requested will take you to a calendar page. There will be entries highlighted that represents the last time the page was crawled and archived. Click on a highlighted date (in this case, I used Sept 2, 2011).

4) Bingo!!! There's your PDF Phone Bulletin, complete with pictures.

Shortcut Link for MY '00-'03 Voice Control Manual: https://web.archive.org/web/20060205025156/http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/VCM/2001 VCM Manual.pdf. Note that MY '00 VCM controlled only phone functions, and was operated by a button on the steering wheel; MY '01-'03 VCM operated many more items, and was operated by a stalk on the steering column. It is possible to update the MY '00 VCM to a '01-'03 version (while retaining the button in the steering wheel), and control the full set of features shown in the manual.

Specific Phones: I must also ask your forbearance regarding private messages or e-mails regarding specific cell phones. If I haven’t mentioned it here, I haven’t seen it, and cannot answer specific questions on how to get a given phone to work with your system. I address how to configure your car’s equipment, and point you to sources of cell phones that it will work with; I cannot answer regarding the likely success of a specific phone with the MB equipment, or how to modify the MB equipment (beyond what is already discussed) to work with the "latest and greatest" phone. I also do not address 3rd party retrofits and have no experience with them. For those having cars using a MOST fiber optics bus, Dension and mObridge offer devices that can provide Bluetooth and mp3 player integration. For those having D2B fiber optics busses, 3rd party options for Bluetooth are limited except for complete head unit and audio system replacement (though mp3 player options are available). The Primer on audio systems at https://www.benzworld.org/forums/au...o-system-replacement-upgrade-enhancement.html discusses some of those options. My installation experience is limited to my own S-Class cars, so I have not seen all of the wiring and connectors in each model - for that I rely on Paul H. Dick's site for the detailed phone bulletins. The bulletins on Paul's site end with MY '05, and I do not have access to later information; however, some models (such as the '06 S-Class) used identical installations to the MY '05, and the '05 bulletin can be used.

That said, here we go.

3. A WORD ABOUT PRE-WIRING:

“Pre-wired for hands free communication” (or phone) means that the connecting wire and fiber optic harnesses are in place. It does NOT mean that the electronics such as the PSE and cradle, or any other components are present. Cars from the ’00 through ’05 model years were prewired for phone systems, so that adding the required components was simple (so much so that it’s do-it-yourself, except for the version coding of the fiber optics). However, beginning in the ’06 model year MB began making the pre-wiring in some models optional (e.g., the '06 S-Class); I do not have a list of which, and have seen it mentioned only for some models. If your car is not pre-wired for phone, then extensive and expensive work must be done to install the wire harnesses before other equipment can be added. Your VMI may tell you whether a harness is installed, but the best way may be to compare your phone bulletin to the equipment physically present in your electronics bay, and look for the connectors.

4. WHAT IS VERSION CODING?

Simply stated, Version Coding is programming the fiber optics controller in your car to tell it that certain electronics are present on the fiber optics bus, and allowing the controller to fully implement all of the features of the electronics. It is done by a dealer or independent technician using the "STAR" diagnostics computer (a laptop with Mercedes Benz proprietary software). If your car had an original equipment hands free phone system installed, and you are upgrading it, you need not have additional version coding done. The new equipment will work fine. If you are installing a phone system (or other equipment that operates on the fiber optics bus) for the first time, the car must be version coded to assure full operation of the new components.

5. WHERE TO GET PARTS

Your dealer is a good place to start, of course (and don't believe any of them who tell you that what follows cannot be done). This string will provide you the part numbers you need, in most cases. It also provides you links to Paul H. Dick's site, a wonderful reference for phone information including part numbers. You can find more on part numbers (and a wealth of other information on Mercedes systems) at Mercedes Electronics upgrades, installation and retrofits. However (with the exception of the new Universal PSE and the Cradle Eliminator) dealer parts tend to be expensive. You can try ebay; 3rd party suppliers such as USA MBDoctor Mercedes Benz OEM electronics parts and devices. or Mercedes Bluetooth (a Google search will reveal more); and quality salvage yards such as Potomac German Auto, Potomac German Auto : Nation's Largest Since 1979. One ebay seller that forum members report as being both reliable and very helpful is Keith Valentine (Cellguy85 on ebay), cellguy85 | eBay - also Tel. 714-746-5930 (voice only, no text) or cellguy@live.com. My inclusion of these sources is merely representative, and is not intended to exclude others, which may be as good.

Mercedes has announced "end of life" for many of the older kits - however, this simply means they can no longer be ordered by a kit part number. The individual components of the kit can be ordered under their own part numbers. Some dealers have told owners the parts were discontinued and no longer available, and were not aware that the individual components still were. We have also become aware that the V60 puck, B 6 787 5856, seems to be in very short supply.

6. A WORD ABOUT PHONE BOOK DOWNLOADS

2006CL600 has run down a bothersome problem that has plagued may owners - phone book downloads. His post applies to North American COMANDS using MHI phone systems. The thread addresses why contacts sometimes do not download at all; how to get COMAND to display multiple numbers under one name, with proper icons for home, work or mobile; and how to successfully transfer information into the Voice Command system and avoid conflicts, allowing voice dialing. See https://www.benzworld.org/forums/au...5-how-display-proper-symbols-beside-cell.html

PHONE BULLETINS FOLLOW:

Attachments

See less See more
#56 · (Edited)
Upgrade

Guys I just bought a 2003 CLK240 and I want to know if I can get rid of the phone cradle and upgrade to bluetooth?
Below is a picture of what i have, I have a Sony DVD player and a phone cradle.
Any help would be much apreceated
Also can someone post a picture what the Blue tooth system would look like:):)

#58 · (Edited)
I am finally able to add something useful to this post!
I have an 02 CL500 using v60 setup w/bluetooth puck.
I was able to successfully pair my razor to work with this setup thanks to this VERY helpful post.
I have recently purchased a Motorola Q9 phone for business and could not pair successfully with the phone system in my car......

That is UNTIL I found this software on the web:

JETware Mobile Software

Better yet- you download free for a 30 day trial to get your phone to work so there is no risk trying it! After you use the software successfully it is only $14.95 for the license. This may work for several other phones also...

Beforer the software install I could see the MB phone network- but could not pair with it. Now all phone functions work thru the Command unit including recent calls, missed calls and the phone book.

Verizon has an older version of this phone that is certified on wireless4mb website.
My Moto Razor phone is Verizon- but my Q9 Motorola is Cingular/AT&T.

I hope this info helps.

Cheers!

#60 ·
Bluetooth Cradle Replacer

I went to my dealer today and picked up the Bluetooth Cradle Replacer, p/n B67875855 ("puck"). This is the puck for MY 2003/2004 E-Class and 2004 S/CL-Class. The parts guy came outside, removed a few screws, took up the false floor in the center console, and plugged the unit in. I have a Motorola Razr with Sprint service, and the phone and puck paired immediately. The display still indicated that the telephone was not available. Following the information I have read on this thread, I suggested that the phone had to be "turned on" with the diagnostic computer. Once that was done, everything worked perfectly, including downloading my address book.

You need to be careful about where you place the cord or "tail" of the puck under the false floor. The technician simply routed the cord on the edge of the floor, or you can notch out a piece for it. The false floor is held in place by two small screws on the back end and two more screws under the unit itself. You have to place the cord so the two bottom screws can fit properly. You end up with the puck (about the size of a low profile computer mouse) and about 6" of cord. The puck comes with a velcro mount and a very small bracket for more permanent mounting. The cord is really out of the way, and you have a lot of usable space left. I have never seen a conventional cradle with a puck, but I would assume it must be larger than the puck alone, and space may be sacrificed.

Because the telephone is not in a cradle, it may be a wise decision to invest in a car charger. Bluetooth operation puts a heavier load on the telephone, and batteries will go faster than normal. The car will remain in Bluetooth mode for about a minute after you turn off the car, and my telephone beeps and indicates that the MB Phone system has disconnected. If you open a door, the system turns on. All of this is in the manual.

The service guys had little knowledge about anything relating to telephone installation or configuration. The parts guys had a little more knowledge, and in fact knew what a puck was, but were not familiar with this particular one. They had it in stock, and went outside to my car and did the installation. I think they were curious to see if it would work "without the normal kit stuff" and told me if it didn't, they would refund my money.

The hands free telephone system works great, and was very, very easy. You will need a Star computer to make your car see the telephone. There appears to be no problem with Sprint, even though it is not listed on the official list. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to share my experience with some of the issues I have noticed in this thread. Bottom line, the puck works as advertised. Thanks for the assistance from this thread.

#61 · (Edited)
Thank you for your input, bronto60; it confirms the information in the fourth post in this string. Glad you helped the local techs see the light and got the phone working. Also, people are now reporting more success with Sprint firmware, which is good news.

There is now a listing of "approved" phones (phones and firmware that have tested compatible with MB systems) on the AWS site at http://www.wireless4mb.com/MB.pdf

#62 ·
I've read all this and am still a bit confused. Am taking delivery on a '08 S550 next week, and currently use a Verizon Motorola RAZR. But I'm going to be changing to AT&T and the iPhone. Questions:
1. Is there a relative advantage to a cradle vs BT puck, other than having a power source?
2. In that I will be changing phones and carriers in about 2 months, wouldn't the BT option be the least expensive as it could be used with both phones?

Thanks.

#64 · (Edited)
napaBill,

A proper cradle allows you to connect to your car's external antenna for greater connectivity (better signal strength). However, I am not aware of a cradle for the iPhone.

If you buy a RAZR cradle, you may not even be able to pair your iPhone with it, undocked. For some inexplicable reason, they seem to be limited to pairing with RAZRs - the only cradle I know of that is limited in that way.

You are better off buying a puck, since you plan to change phones. Your iPhone will plug into your iPod kit, if you have ordered one; and it will also pair with the puck. However, there are some quirks to using it in this way - fairly simple ones, I understand. Suggest you read some of the iPhone operation tips posted here and on MBWorld, especially post #7 at IPhone with IPOD integration kit. - MBWorld.org Forums. Folks seem very happy with the iPhone in their Benzes.

The MB iPod kit also allows charging of your iPhone; it doesn't connect anything to the car's external antenna, however. Neither does the standard Bluetooth puck.

#65 ·
I do not know; I haven't spoken to or corresponded with MIK for quite a while. Also, his MikBox home page has apparently been down for some time, though some of the other pages are still available.

#70 ·
Great thread. I have a 2006 SL500 and frankly am so confused as to what I will need. The car came with "prewired for cell phone" but see no cradles or ports. I do not see anything in the armrest to plug anything into. My question: is there a slot or something that one plugs the "puck/MHI" device into?
Wish someone who has it working can shoot us some pictures.

#71 ·
No pics, but the posts 1, 5, and 6 above are directly relevant to your SL. The phone bulletins for the '05 model on Paul Dick's site, referenced in the first few posts, will also apply to your '06. Photos are there.

You'll have to add the electronics package (referenced at the end of the phone bulletin) before you'll have anything to plug the puck or cradle into.

#73 · (Edited)
#74 ·
AT&T Tilt

I have been using the Razr with the Blue tooth cradle in my 07 CLS 550. I bought the new AT&T tilt today.

Cannot seem to pair it with the Cradle. The phone picks up the MB V3 Bluetooth but the car cannot connect to the phone. I also tried the JETware Mobile Software but to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

MA

#75 ·
As I understand it, the Bluetooth unit in the RAZR BT/cradle combo pairs only with RAZR phones. I have no idea why this is. However, the instructions I received with mine said that "up to 4 RAZRs" could be paired; not up to four phones. You are not the first person to report being unable to pair a different phone.

#76 ·
Best path to upgrade '00 E320 Wagon?

Skylaw,

Great community service on this thread!

I've a '00 E320 4MATIC wagon w/the orig Startac that I need to upgrade--no desire for bluetooth unless that's the easiest upgrade path. Happy to buy a low end phone and just stick it in the upgraded car.

It seems I need to (i) upgrade from the single band to the dual band linear compensator, and (ii) put in the Mikbox upgrade. Do I have that right? (I don't care about Teleaid.)

Since the Mikbox site is down, is there any other option for the Mikbox step in the upgrade?

Thanks,

LewisS

#77 ·
Thank you for your comment, LewisS.

Unless you can obtain a MikBox from a forum member or from ebay, I don't believe they are available any longer.

The only other upgrade path is the Autosense or Dual Sense PSE/V60s cradle/V60s phone and the dual band linear compensator (a plug-in setup); or the same setup plus a V60 Bluetooth cradle, and minus the linear compensator (a Bluetooth setup).

If you choose the V60s route, that phone is still available through AWS.

I wish MIK were still making and selling his MikBox - it cost him a huge amount of time and effort to develop, manufacture, and market it. The device was a boon to owners of the pre-MHI cars. However, the rush to Bluetooth may have made that a casualty.

#78 ·
Hello all,

Skylaw... you rock!

I'm researching installing iPod, Sirius and Bluetooth in a 2005 G500.

I went to the Dension web site to check out the GW500 but came away a confused. In the OEM chart they have two listings for the G500, 1999-2004 (D2B) and 2005 (MOST). When I selected the 2005 model the table says "not yet available" In the post 4. above you state that the '05 G-class is D2B system (I've got my finger crossed!). Can anyone confirm whether the 2005 G500 is a "D2B" or "MOST" system?

The G500 seems to be somewhat of an odd duck perhaps because it's made in Austria or just low production numbers. I'm having one hell of a time finding specific information on "how to's" and "I used this... " for electronics, especially when going to vendor sites.

So... if anyone can lend a hand for iPod, Sirius and Bluetooth for Sony Ericsson W580i I'd be very grateful!

#79 · (Edited)
Geee500,

The phone bulletin for the '05 G-Class (http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phone Install Bulletins/2005 G.pdf) indicates that it uses the D2B fiber optic bus. It also indicates that its OE cellular equipment is the Autosense PSE with a V60 cradle. This would let you use the V60s plug-in phone, or a V60 puck for Bluetooth (together with a compatible Bluetooth phone). Your local dealer should be able to confirm the bus type. All I have to rely on is the phone bulletin.

Alternatively, you could investigate the Bluetooth adapter that Dension now sells with the Gateway 500. Based on what I read, the GW 500 Bluetooth adapter does not integrate quite as fully as the MB OE equipment, but it is a lot less expensive.

As for satellite radio, you could possibly run the output of a 3rd party tuner into the USB or (most likely) the RCA jacks that the Gateway 500 offers. You'd have to do your tuning on the satellite radio dial in all likelihood; I have never seen such a system set up. You could select the receiver using the menu controls much as you would select an iPod or a phone through the system.

I do not know for sure whether your head unit or steering wheel controls could be used for tuning the satellite receiver; it is possible you would be limited to tuning on the 3rd party unit itself.

Good luck to you.

#80 ·
Thanks Skylaw,

I'll have to call MB tomorrow on the fiber optic bus (FOB) they all went home on me!

I checked with my local dealer on the Sirius parts for the G today $1034.38 plus tax just for parts. OUCH!

I was also considering replacing the HU with the Kenwood DNX7100 w/iPod, Bluetooth, Sirius, rear camera but didn't want to lose the silly steering wheel buttons! That package would have run $4673 installed. So I looked into installing it my self but couldn't find an install kit. The display for the controls for the Kenwood just looked low resolution (cheezy) so I'm back to patching up the MB Command system. I hate the CD navigation system! I am spoiled by my Garmin stand alone.

#81 · (Edited)
I claim no expertise in 3rd party COMAND or MB H/U replacements - but a lot of folks seem to like some of the Alpine units. Many posts on the forum compare the two brands. Some folks make tie-in devices to the steering wheel controls - but I'll have to leave that to your own research, or contributions from other forum participants.

#82 ·
Back again,

I checked with MB with regards to the D2B or MOST fiber optic bus in the G500. The MB rep asked if my Command unit was a CD or DVD based unit. In my '05 it's a CD based unit. He said that if it's CD it's D2B. I hope he's right. I ordered the Dension GW500 in the D2B. The Dension web site (http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php) didn't list a U.S. distributor and after a couple of call I was directed to NASS Electronics. I'm not sure if I can post their phone number but if you call the Canadian distributor will can give you the number.

#83 · (Edited)
I do know that Enfig (Enfig.com) and Auto Mobility Distribution (Auto Mobility Distribution Inc.) list it on their sites. A Google search may give you even more sources. In addition, forum contributor Rob 13572468 is part of a Chicago shop (Mid-City Engineering) doing custom MB electronics mods, and can get it for you as well. Call Dan at 312-421-1114. You might also want to check posts 9-14 at DENSION GATEWAY 500 for MOST – MENUS in COMAND - MBWorld.org Forums. If I were buying again, I would definitely get the unit from Mid-City.

Also, at one time Enfig had a note that they did not provide all of the input cables for the unit; I don't know if this is still true. The one I got had all of the input cables.

Also, try to get the Version 3 hardware version for the D2B unit, if you can. If Dension implements instrument cluster readout of song titles through the CAN Bus, addition of the CAN tie-in cable and a firmware update would probably be all that's necessary. The Version 1 and 2 hardware won't do it.

#84 ·
Hello again,

In reading the "Voice activated cellular telephone installation" .pdf you linked to in your previous I see there is a part list. Do you have a source you'd recommend for the required installation kit etc.? Do I need all of the p/n's listed in the table?

Thanks again!

#85 ·
Post #3 above covers your situation. You do not need the voice control unit for any of the options unless you want voice control. If you are going to use a V60s phone, you need all of the other parts (plus the fuses). If you are going to install the V60s cradle and use a Bluetooth puck, you do not need the linear compensator or antenna switch. If you are going to install a Bluetooth phone but need the signal boost of the car's external antenna (through a cradle such as the SmoothTalker device), you will need to add the linear compensator. If you are going to use tele-aid together with any of the options that use the car's external antenna, you need the antenna switch.

Because your car is D2B, you may be able to find many of the parts on e-bay; other than that, see your dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.