Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

HOW-TO GUIDE FOR CELL PHONES (Upgrades, Plug-in And Bluetooth)

598K views 786 replies 265 participants last post by  victorvictor 
#1 · (Edited)
1. This thread addresses the following cell phone upgrade issues for North American specification Mercedes cars: 1) How to add a compatible plug-in phone to replace StarTacs or TimePorts or V60 phones when a service provider will no longer register them; 2) How to convert a StarTac, TimePort, or V60 system to Bluetooth, or to add a Bluetooth system from scratch, in a Model Year ’00 through ’03 Benz; 3) How to add a cell phone to an ’03-’04 E-Class or ’04 S-Class; and 4) Cell phone options for plug-in and Bluetooth for MHI equipped cars (’05 and later). It also briefly addresses 5) compatibility issues and 6) a Tele-Aid digital replacement. So that one does not have to read through useless information, each of the six matters is addressed by a subsequent, same-numbered post in this string.

If you are searching for information on A2DP music streaming, this thread doesn't address it. See the audio systems primer at https://www.benzworld.org/forums/au...o-system-replacement-upgrade-enhancement.html

Note on Newer Cars: Much of this thread has been directed toward pre-2010 models,. The MHI system continued to be used in different North American models through 2009, though beginning with the '08 C-Class, and continuing with the '09 CLS, SL, SLK, and S-Classes, Bluetooth was standard equipment and did not have to be ordered separately. The only thing you need to add is a compatible phone (unless a prior owner has removed the puck). You can see the link for covered models and compatible phones at Mercedes-Benz Bluetooth Connectivity (thanks for pointing that out, lkchris :thumbsup:). Beginning in MY 2010, the COMAND 3.5 used in the S-Class and the CL-Class had Bluetooth built into the COMAND unit, and did not use a separate puck.

I have updated this post as of late April 2008 to account for new equipment such as the "Universal PSE" and the "Cradle eliminator" cable that will aid owners of 2000-2003 cars in equipping their cars for the many new state "hands free" laws. The new equipment will eliminate the need to find older equipment such as "Autosense" PSEs and V60 cradles, which are sometimes in short supply. I thank the contributors who took the time to bring these new devices to my attention.

While post #11 at https://www.benzworld.org/forums/au...ssible-get-telephone-service-2002-e320-2.html provides little but history and background, it may help some to understand the rather complicated posts below just a bit better.

Member Tiffany Twisted has provided the following link to the official Mercedes documentation for MY '00 through '05 OEM phones: https://resources.mbdx.us/files/pdf/MB Phone Manual v4.6.pdf

2. WHICH POSTS APPLY? Please note that in most cases you only need to read several of the first NINE posts!! Most of the critical information needed is in the first seven posts in this thread. If you don't know which fiber optics type your car has, the first page of the phone bulletin for your model and year (pdf below), will tell you (See the "Notes on D2B" or the "MOST Notes" paragraph - the notes tell you which fiber optics system your car has). If you don't know if you have a StarTac, TimePort, or Autosense PSE, check the parts list toward the back of the bulletins.

--If you are installing a plug-in phone in a D2B fiber optics-equipped car that used a StarTac, TimePort, or Autosense PSE, posts 1, 2, 6 and 7 apply.

--If you are installing a Bluetoooth system in a D2B fiber optics-equipped car that used a StarTac, TimePort, or Autosense PSE, posts 1, 3, 6 and 7 apply.

--If you have a car with a CP-211 system instead of a StarTac, Timeport or Autosense PSE (an ’03-’04 W211 E Class, an ’04 S-Class or an '04 CL), posts 1, 4, 6 and 7 apply.

--Last, if you have a MOST Bus equipped car with an MHI phone system, posts 1, 5, and 9 apply.

NOTE: The phone bulletin for your car will make reference to the type of fiber optics you have, but if you need confirmation see post #2 at https://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1439410-do-i-have-d2b-most.html#post3434579 or at page 16, http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/W211_advisor/219 HO Networking (ACB-ICC) 09-03-02.pdf

NOTE: The phone bulletins we lost on Paul H. Dick's site have been reconstituted by member Ex-Fed in a pdf file attached at the bottom of this post. Try the pdf fle first!! The links cover some models dating from '99, most models from '00 through '05, and some from '06. They also contain the CDC installation instructions for some models. In addition, thanks to member Eric (eric32955), if you have trouble with the pdf file links, we have the procedure for getting them that was used by Ex-Fed, which can be used as a backup or alternate source:

1) Go to the Wayback machine site, https://archive.org/web/web.php

2) Enter the complete URL of the file formerly available on Paul's site (example - archive for the 2005 E-series sedan) from Paul's page such as "http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phone%20Install%20Bulletins/2005%20E%20Sedan.pdf". Paul's index page is still up so this can be used as the source for the URL information you'll need. Phone Bulletins

3) The archive search you've requested will take you to a calendar page. There will be entries highlighted that represents the last time the page was crawled and archived. Click on a highlighted date (in this case, I used Sept 2, 2011).

4) Bingo!!! There's your PDF Phone Bulletin, complete with pictures.

Shortcut Link for MY '00-'03 Voice Control Manual: https://web.archive.org/web/20060205025156/http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/VCM/2001 VCM Manual.pdf. Note that MY '00 VCM controlled only phone functions, and was operated by a button on the steering wheel; MY '01-'03 VCM operated many more items, and was operated by a stalk on the steering column. It is possible to update the MY '00 VCM to a '01-'03 version (while retaining the button in the steering wheel), and control the full set of features shown in the manual.

Specific Phones: I must also ask your forbearance regarding private messages or e-mails regarding specific cell phones. If I haven’t mentioned it here, I haven’t seen it, and cannot answer specific questions on how to get a given phone to work with your system. I address how to configure your car’s equipment, and point you to sources of cell phones that it will work with; I cannot answer regarding the likely success of a specific phone with the MB equipment, or how to modify the MB equipment (beyond what is already discussed) to work with the "latest and greatest" phone. I also do not address 3rd party retrofits and have no experience with them. For those having cars using a MOST fiber optics bus, Dension and mObridge offer devices that can provide Bluetooth and mp3 player integration. For those having D2B fiber optics busses, 3rd party options for Bluetooth are limited except for complete head unit and audio system replacement (though mp3 player options are available). The Primer on audio systems at https://www.benzworld.org/forums/au...o-system-replacement-upgrade-enhancement.html discusses some of those options. My installation experience is limited to my own S-Class cars, so I have not seen all of the wiring and connectors in each model - for that I rely on Paul H. Dick's site for the detailed phone bulletins. The bulletins on Paul's site end with MY '05, and I do not have access to later information; however, some models (such as the '06 S-Class) used identical installations to the MY '05, and the '05 bulletin can be used.

That said, here we go.

3. A WORD ABOUT PRE-WIRING:

“Pre-wired for hands free communication” (or phone) means that the connecting wire and fiber optic harnesses are in place. It does NOT mean that the electronics such as the PSE and cradle, or any other components are present. Cars from the ’00 through ’05 model years were prewired for phone systems, so that adding the required components was simple (so much so that it’s do-it-yourself, except for the version coding of the fiber optics). However, beginning in the ’06 model year MB began making the pre-wiring in some models optional (e.g., the '06 S-Class); I do not have a list of which, and have seen it mentioned only for some models. If your car is not pre-wired for phone, then extensive and expensive work must be done to install the wire harnesses before other equipment can be added. Your VMI may tell you whether a harness is installed, but the best way may be to compare your phone bulletin to the equipment physically present in your electronics bay, and look for the connectors.

4. WHAT IS VERSION CODING?

Simply stated, Version Coding is programming the fiber optics controller in your car to tell it that certain electronics are present on the fiber optics bus, and allowing the controller to fully implement all of the features of the electronics. It is done by a dealer or independent technician using the "STAR" diagnostics computer (a laptop with Mercedes Benz proprietary software). If your car had an original equipment hands free phone system installed, and you are upgrading it, you need not have additional version coding done. The new equipment will work fine. If you are installing a phone system (or other equipment that operates on the fiber optics bus) for the first time, the car must be version coded to assure full operation of the new components.

5. WHERE TO GET PARTS

Your dealer is a good place to start, of course (and don't believe any of them who tell you that what follows cannot be done). This string will provide you the part numbers you need, in most cases. It also provides you links to Paul H. Dick's site, a wonderful reference for phone information including part numbers. You can find more on part numbers (and a wealth of other information on Mercedes systems) at Mercedes Electronics upgrades, installation and retrofits. However (with the exception of the new Universal PSE and the Cradle Eliminator) dealer parts tend to be expensive. You can try ebay; 3rd party suppliers such as USA MBDoctor Mercedes Benz OEM electronics parts and devices. or Mercedes Bluetooth (a Google search will reveal more); and quality salvage yards such as Potomac German Auto, Potomac German Auto : Nation's Largest Since 1979. One ebay seller that forum members report as being both reliable and very helpful is Keith Valentine (Cellguy85 on ebay), cellguy85 | eBay - also Tel. 714-746-5930 (voice only, no text) or cellguy@live.com. My inclusion of these sources is merely representative, and is not intended to exclude others, which may be as good.

Mercedes has announced "end of life" for many of the older kits - however, this simply means they can no longer be ordered by a kit part number. The individual components of the kit can be ordered under their own part numbers. Some dealers have told owners the parts were discontinued and no longer available, and were not aware that the individual components still were. We have also become aware that the V60 puck, B 6 787 5856, seems to be in very short supply.

6. A WORD ABOUT PHONE BOOK DOWNLOADS

2006CL600 has run down a bothersome problem that has plagued may owners - phone book downloads. His post applies to North American COMANDS using MHI phone systems. The thread addresses why contacts sometimes do not download at all; how to get COMAND to display multiple numbers under one name, with proper icons for home, work or mobile; and how to successfully transfer information into the Voice Command system and avoid conflicts, allowing voice dialing. See https://www.benzworld.org/forums/au...5-how-display-proper-symbols-beside-cell.html

PHONE BULLETINS FOLLOW:

Attachments

See less See more
#28 ·
jfmiller79 said:
I wouldn't even worry about the list from AWS... My phone is not on the list, Sprint PPC-6700 . I have found a bluetooth stack that makes all the functionality of the phone work. Phonebook, missed and received calls, and outgoing call will all show up on the command. You can even use voice command dialing.

The name of the product is Jetware.. JETware Mobile Software

The build is a beta but Jim should be releasing it in a few weeks. I am extremely pleased with product and their support for the product is great. They have a data logger that logs all communication between the command and the phone and if any problems arise you email the data log to support and they are usually back to you in a day or so...

Anyone that has a smartphone or Windows Mobile 5 phone should definitely check this product out if your phone is not completely syncing with your command...
I just tried this software on my HTC Advantage (X7501) WM6 device, and it allowed the contacts download to my car's phonebook - which I couldn't do prior to this software. The Caller ID name isn't coming up on COMAND when I receive a call, but it could be a configuration issue with the software. Overall, I think I'll be keeping and registering this software. :)

BTW - this is using the older V60 Bluetooth puck.

#29 ·
Dual band linear compensator issues and possible solution

I have a 2001 CL600 with the built in Timeport whose network is obviously dead or dying. I went the Argos Bluetooth route which was as painless an installation for me as it has been for others. Then I replaced my timeport cradle with the smoothtalker cradle for the GSM RAZR V3 wanting to use the linear compensator and bumper antenna to get around the infra red metallic coating in my car windows which does in fact cause me to lose a bar of signal strength in my rural area.

When I put my phone in the newly installed cradle I lost signal strength rather than gaining it. Upon further investigation (including going to the FCC website using the dual band compensator FCC id to gain a tremendous amount of information about what the compensator does and how it works) I found out that the compensator was powered off. I tested it using teleaide (the old system that is dying) and found out how to power it on. I tested this with a lash up wiring system and found that I gain 1 bar of signal strength as a result of using the linear compensator. My current plan is to use a relay powered off "key in position one"voltage to power up the dual compensator. The other issue that I have is that the compensator has a digitally controlled attenuator on the transmit path - unknown purpose but presumably to either compensate for different phones or to prevent too high a transmit signal strength in urban areas. Comments on this would be welcome. Since I have no means of altering it it will be left at whatever setting it was at and we will see what happens.

Newbie to this forum posting but these forums have been so helpful to me that I thought I would write up this note since it did not look like it had been discussed before.

#30 ·
phone upgrade, MP3, bluetooth, etc

What about older models? CLK430 from 1999.
I have there: original phone installation (old Nokia), no COMAND, APS IV (radio, CD changer, CC, small Navi).
And I would prefer: adapter for more modern phone, connection to external MP3 player (or iPod), perhaps bluetooth.
Any suggestions - highly appreciated

#34 ·
i'm usally really good with gadgetry but i'm a little confused here, where are the pse part numbers located? and what/where is Autosense? my cradle is startac

#35 ·
icwater said:
i'm usally really good with gadgetry but i'm a little confused here, where are the pse part numbers located? and what/where is Autosense? my cradle is startac
See the phone bulletins I mentioned and provided a link to in the first part of the string.

#36 ·
so basicly i need a 03 psa an oem v60 cradle and the puck? also did Mikbox go out of buisness? the last news update on the site is 05 and the main page is down

#37 · (Edited)
Perhaps You Could Advise Me?

Skylaw,

When I bought my '07 S550 my Motorola MPx220 was successfully paired with and worked well with the BT system in the car. Last week the MPx220 died a horrible death and I now have a MotoRAZR v.9 which I cannot get to work with the car's BT system.
The real problem is being an old person and all, I'm not all that savvy when it comes to electronics. I went through the pairing routine and the car shows the phone as being authorized however the COMAND system shows the phone as off when I tried using it to place a call.

Q 1, Did I pair them wrong?
Q 2, Is there a way to update the car's firmware outside of the dealership's seeming ignorant/indifferent gadget guru?

Any help / advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

PSK

PS: I have been searching for a site like this since I got the car. The BMW's I have are/were all enjoyed with the help of communities such as this and now I'm a happy camper having found you folks. :)

#38 ·
Hey All,
I just purchased a 2002 CLK320 that is pre-wired for and has the cradle for the hands-free phone. I would like to update the cradle/phone system so that it is compatible with newer phones, primarily any new phone I wish to buy. I found, on eBay, an OEM MB phone cradle and V557 motorola cell phone. Can I simply buy this and replace it with the cradle that's currently in the arm rest? Will the V60 bluetooth puck from this article work for almost any phone with bluetooth?
What are my options?
Please help!
Danny

#39 · (Edited)
PSK, send me a private message with your e-mail address, and include the version of your RAZR (I'm not aware of a v.9) and your cellular service provider. I can send you the version number of the firmware that is compatible with your Bluetooth system. Alternatively, you can call AWS at 1-800-910-1021 and ask.

#40 ·
dwill454 said:
Hey All,
I just purchased a 2002 CLK320 that is pre-wired for and has the cradle for the hands-free phone. I would like to update the cradle/phone system so that it is compatible with newer phones, primarily any new phone I wish to buy. I found, on eBay, an OEM MB phone cradle and V557 motorola cell phone. Can I simply buy this and replace it with the cradle that's currently in the arm rest? Will the V60 bluetooth puck from this article work for almost any phone with bluetooth?
What are my options?
Please help!
Danny
Danny,

The series of posts at the top of this string answer your questions - especially posts 1, 2 (for plug-in phones), and 3 & 6 (for Bluetooth). Read them carefully. Find out exactly what you already have. Follow the links in the posts. Then you can determine just what you need.

The reasons those post are there is to avoid having to tailor an answer for every specific model and model year; your situation is covered.

#41 ·
I read this thread, specifically the definition of "pre-wire" and thought I understood it, but now MBUSA's website has thrown a wrench of confusion in my gearing. MB apparently uses 3 different terms when describing an integrated cell phone option for '08 models on their site.

1. For many of the models (CLS, S, ML, GL, etc.) the option is referred to as a "Hands-Free Communication System".

2. For SLK's the option is referred to as "Hands-Free Communication System Pre-Wiring".

3. And just to make it even more confussing. . . The option for CLK's is referred to as "Cell Phone Pre-wiring".

My guess is that the "Hands-Free Communication System" includes everything minus the BT or Cradle adapter (since that's what is on the window sticker of my wife's CLS and it came with everything but the adapter). But what is the difference, if there is one, between "Cell Phone Pre-wiring" and "Hands-Free Communication System Pre-wiring"?

#42 ·
I have a 2006 CLS and the service manager advised that I could buy any phone and not have a problem (El Dorado Hills, CA). I purchased a MHI cradle for the Sony W810i from a guy in "down under" where they use this phone commonly. Now I go back to Mercedes and they can't even get the parts ordered to make it work?! Any ideas on a different way to skin a cat? Thanks.

#43 ·
Homerun - Let's see - you were provided with information on what you needed to do to get a compatible phone to work with your car in the U.S. at posts 5 and 6 above - so you bought a phone used in Australia, if I read correctly, and bought a cradle for cars built for Australia. Now you wonder why a U.S. dealer can't match it? You don't even tell us what handsfree equipment you already have installed (if any) or what parts you are trying to buy.

My idea to "make it work" is to buy a phone that is compatible with equipment designed for your car - not to try to make the car compatible with your phone. Pretty much said so in the first 7 posts above.

#44 · (Edited)
Knucklehead - I believe the confusion is resolved by knowing that ordering the "hands free option" gets you the wiring harnesses and the installed phone system electronics, to the point you need only to add either a puck or cradle and a compatible phone to complete the system.

Mercedes used to make prewiring for the phone system standard equipment on most of its cars. However, it stopped making it standard on many models starting with the '06 model year, and offered prewiring (only) as an option (in addition to offering the full "handsfree phone" as a second, more expensive option). Cars having the "prewiring" option still do not have the installed electronics necessary for the phone system - the Portable Support Electronics, the linear compensator for the antenna, or the mounting point (contact plate) for the puck or cradle. However, the electronics can be added later, much more easily if prewiring is present than if it is not.

To get directly to your question: You are correct in your understanding of "hands-free communication system." As to the other two, there is no difference.

Not the easiest labeling for tracking, and frankly, most sales people don't know the differences either. I don't wonder that you and many others are confused. Hope that helps.

#48 ·
Can someone help out someone lost and frustrated please.

When I got my car, the salesman plugged my cradle in and pushed some buttons and stuff and poof my bluetooth was enable and hooked up to my phone.

I just had to wipe my phone completely and now I dont know what he did on the car to get me to the menu to add my phone. thanks.

#50 ·
Adding bluetooth to 2004 E500 without Phone install ?

I see a “MB V60 BT Cradle Adapter” kit that states for 2004 can get bluetooth for newer phones, but it seems it first needs the "MB phone system with V60 cradle" already installed first…(for Mercedes-Benz the V60 Bluetooth Cradle Adapter specifically for vehicles already equipped with “Integrated V60-based Hands-Free Communication Systems”) - if I do not have the phone kit already in, anyone know the easiest way to get Bluetooth capability to take advantage of the factory wiring etc ?

... it seems this “adapter” plugs into the dock where the factory phone would be – which was not installed in this car. Can you see what it may take to get that and this Adapter installed ? Seems a costly route to me.... HELP !!

I ALSO want to install an IPOD connector - to run through the AUX connection – is there a kit for that you know of ?

#51 · (Edited)
mrdoiron,

I suggest that you re-read the first nine posts in this string, focusing especially on the first, fourth, sixth, and ninth which are applicable to your car. Your car has the CP-211 communications platform combining the cellular support electronics and Tele-Aid electronics, which makes adding a Bluetooth phone fairly simple; and the posts address the "easiest way to get Bluetooth to take advantage of the factory wiring."

You can connect your iPod directly to the jack using a 3.5mm double-ended stereo cable. Music selection will be via the iPod controls, but you can control volume through your steering wheel and head unit controls.

There is an MB-Apple iPod kit available for your car. It provides song title readout on your instrument cluster display, and allows additional steering wheel button control. Check with your dealer for cost of equipment and installation.

Alternatively, take a look at the Dension Gateway 500 at Gateway 500 for MOST – Good Unit, Poor Documentation - MBWorld.org Forums be sure to follow the links.

#54 ·
Handsfree Phone Solution for 2002 E320

Great resource here Skylaw!

I just purchased 2002 E320 4Matic and would like hands free phone hookup if it is cost effective, since I am very low user 25-30 min per month... Emerg.. and contact with 2 family members...

I miss my '00 E320 handsfree:)

What are my options and where is the best place to get necessary equipment and install?

Regards,

Bronek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.