#1 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 07:58 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Help!!! Repairing Command Center/nav

My Command Center is not accepting any CD's which means NO navigation. The Dealer wants $4000.00 to replace as they do not repair it. Do you know of anyone who could fix it? Any inputs? Thoughts? Information? I did a search a came up empty
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 09:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
My COMAND did that for a few days last week and I was getting worried, but found out that if I was patient it finally took the NAV CD and downloaded the data. Works fine now. The key was to keep trying and to let the unit "take the CD when it was ready." You have to give it several minutes, and it will eventually take it. I was driving home w/ the CD sticking out half way and all of a sudden I see it go in and a few minutes later it downloaded the maps. Works great, but took a long time to "read" the CD and work.

Don't believe everything you think
#3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 02:20 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
My 2005 ejected the Nav DVD also and the unit was replaced under warranty. If it is not too late, it is better to extend the warranty, which I did when I bought my car.

The cars are simply too complex today and technology used in them are no different from your $500 computer. While computer get replaced in a few years, cars can live much longer. Since the cars cost tens of thousands and repair can potentially cost thousands, the extended warranty are still good protection.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 07:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: My Benz: 04 S430
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2002E55
My Command Center is not accepting any CD's which means NO navigation. The Dealer wants $4000.00 to replace as they do not repair it. Do you know of anyone who could fix it? Any inputs? Thoughts? Information? I did a search a came up empty
Ron
Pay 850 bucks for a replacement on ebay OR,

Here's a guy that seems to be pretty good.
Mercedes Radio Repair Questions

Use google.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:11 AM

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL "Christine"
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2002E55
Ron
What happened just before it stopped accepting the discs? Did anyone try an update, or to use a different set of discs?

Warren

2005 S500 4-Matic
with Gateway 500 iPod integration

1978 450SL restoration project

Formerly: 2000 S500
with Ice>Link iPod integration
Moto V710 phone with MikBox
Upgraded Voice Control
#6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 09:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylaw
What happened just before it stopped accepting the discs? Did anyone try an update, or to use a different set of discs?
My problem started after I tried to install a software upgrade for my COMAND/NAV. I got the CD from my dealer: Part # W 230 589 00 22 00, made in 07, 2002. It is supposed to add some functionality to COMAND/NAV, and is for 2.0 ECE + 2.5 ECE. On the CD is says: BOSCH Software-Service-CD MY01. My NAV took the CD, and it looked like it was going to download but never activated the next screen. Then when I tried to put the NAV CD back in it kept ejecting it until a day later when the system took the CD and downloaded the maps for the CD.

Do you know anything about the software upgrade? There is a thread around here somewhere discussing the upgrade, but I have not been able to find it.

#7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 03:46 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
I'll look for the thread - I did some research on this a few years ago, and got the fact that the update disc was sold as a "tool" through the service dept., and not as a "part" available through the parts dept.

My (former) dealer was extremely reluctant to install the update; as I recall, it takes about 45 minutes to do it. However, the same dealer had been burned earlier with my car earlier, when he installed an update to address a dropout in my '00's audio system - and wound up having to replace my entire COMAND (which also would not accept a disc, just as described by FL2002E55 and you, in this string).

I was very interested in the fact that your system eventually took a disc and straightened itself out; made me wonder if the COMAND was finishing up some post-installation processing of the update that it hadn't been allowed to complete. I never gave my system as long as you did, and took it back to the dealer, winding up with his replacing the entire system. That's whay I asked my question.

I will look for the threads on the COMAND firmware updates; may have lost some when the forum's software was revised some time ago.

Warren

2005 S500 4-Matic

Upgraded Voice Control

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-30-2007 at 03:49 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I'll look for the thread - I did some research on this a few years ago, and got the fact that the update disc was sold as a "tool" through the service dept., and not as a "part" available through the parts dept.

My (former) dealer was extremely reluctant to install the update; as I recall, it takes about 45 minutes to do it. However, the same dealer had been burned earlier with my car earlier, when he installed an update to address a dropout in my '00's audio system - and wound up having to replace my entire COMAND (which also would not accept a disc, just as described by FL2002E55 and you, in this string).

I was very interested in the fact that your system eventually took a disc and straightened itself out; made me wonder if the COMAND was finishing up some post-installation processing of the update that it hadn't been allowed to complete. I never gave my system as long as you did, and took it back to the dealer, winding up with his replacing the entire system. That's whay I asked my question.

I will look for the threads on the COMAND firmware updates; may have lost some when the forum's software was revised some time ago.
It definetely had that part # and here is a pic of the CD and case...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOSCH (Medium).jpg
Views:	181
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	114736  

#9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 10:04 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Not disputing whether it had a part number; tools do, too. Main point is, at the time I researched it, several folks had queried through various parts departments and were told no such thing existed (I was one of them). One contributor pointed out that it was provided to service departments as a "tool" and gave me the part number. I checked again with the parts manager at my dealership, and indeed, he found that the service department could order it as a "tool" (through him, no less) - but that it wasn't listed in the "parts" catalog. The service manager was willing to order it for me - but not cooperative about flashing the update. Probably for the reason below.

I searched using "COMAND Software" and came up with a ton of posts - the best was US Comand 2.0 Firmware Update - MBWorld.org Forums. Apparently some U.S. COMANDS for model year '00 cannot be updated (according to some contributors; I can't verify); and later COMANDS that should be updatable may have faulty "bootloaders" that prevent updates. Trying to flash a COMAND with a faulty bootloader apparently disables it completely. I did not come across the post I mentioned above, where a kind soul gave me the part number for the update.

As an aside, I have a recollection of one person in India who developed a procedure to repair a COMAND bootloader and wrote it up, but I did not come across it. Bet a search of "Bootloader" would get it.

Also, a number of contributors reported that the Euro COMAND firmware update is not compatible with U.S. COMANDS. I did glean from those writeups that when a COMAND is not compatible with an update (not just the Euro update), it rejects the update disc when you insert it on the prompt. That would lead me to believe this would happen in a non-updateable COMAND, as well.

Unfortunately I was not able to get any information on which models or dates of manufacture of COMANDS might have been updateable or not. I was interested because it has always been an unanswered question why, when my '00 COMAND was flashed with some kind of update for an audio problem, the nav system was rendered unuseable - it kept rejecting discs, as you described - requiring replacement of the COMAND unit. My dealer at the time said this was a frequent occurrence, and claimed the MB would replace the COMAND again only if MB directed flashing the unit - not if I directed it.

Because my wish for the update was for appearance' sake (I wanted the MB logo, not the verbal warning, on startup) and to try to cure one minor problem accessing the CD screen by voice control (recall that I had installed an '01 voice control with my '00 COMAND), I didn't pursue it (there was an easy workaround to access the CD controls by voice: manually select CD, then all worked properly). Not enough to justify the cost af a COMAND replacement. As I best recall, the disc I was after was dated sometime in '02.

What struck me in the string was that apparently you were able to do an update of your '00, although you had some problems after - which seem to have cured thenmselves. What you described resembled the problem I had after the dealer tried the update of my COMAND - but I never gave it the time you did after the problem appeared. I took the car back to the dealer immediately - never left the block he was on. He couldn't resolve it either, and replaced the whole unit (under warranty). Now I am just wondering, for curiosity only, whether it was necessary.

I also wondered if waiting as you did helped FL2002E55? Or perhaps, if trying a flash of his unit with the update you used would help?

Warren

2005 S500 4-Matic

Upgraded Voice Control

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-31-2007 at 11:02 AM.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 11:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Not disputing whether it had a part number; tools do, too. Main point is, at the time I researched it, several folks had queried through various parts departments and were told no such thing existed (I was one of them). One contributor pointed out that it was provided to service departments as a "tool" and gave me the part number. I checked again with the parts manager at my dealership, and indeed, he found that the service department could order it as a "tool" (through him, no less) - but that it wasn't listed in the "parts" catalog. The service manager was willing to order it for me - but not cooperative about flashing the update. Probably for the reason below.

I searched using "COMAND Software" and came up with a ton of posts - the best was US Comand 2.0 Firmware Update - MBWorld.org Forums. Apparently some U.S. COMANDS for model year '00 cannot be updated (according to some contributors; I can't verify); and later COMANDS that should be updatable may have faulty "bootloaders" that prevent updates. Trying to flash a COMAND with a faulty bootloader apparently disables it completely. I did not come across the post I mentioned above, where a kind soul gave me the part number for the update.

As an aside, I have a recollection of one person in India who developed a procedure to repair a COMAND bootloader and wrote it up, but I did not come across it. Bet a search of "Bootloader" would get it.

Also, a number of contributors reported that the Euro COMAND firmware update is not compatible with U.S. COMANDS. I did glean from those writeups that when a COMAND is not compatible with an update (not just the Euro update), it rejects the update disc when you insert it on the prompt. That would lead me to believe this would happen in a non-updateable COMAND, as well.

Unfortunately I was not able to get any information on which models or dates of manufacture of COMANDS might have been updateable or not. I was interested because it has always been an unanswered question why, when my '00 COMAND was flashed with some kind of update for an audio problem, the nav system was rendered unuseable - it kept rejecting discs, as you described - requiring replacement of the COMAND unit. My dealer at the time said this was a frequent occurrence, and claimed the MB would replace the COMAND again only if MB directed flashing the unit - not if I directed it.

Because my wish for the update was for appearance' sake (I wanted the MB logo, not the verbal warning, on startup) and to try to cure one minor problem accessing the CD screen by voice control (recall that I had installed an '01 voice control with my '00 COMAND), I didn't pursue it (there was an easy workaround to access the CD controls by voice: manually select CD, then all worked properly). Not enough to justify the cost af a COMAND replacement. As I best recall, the disc I was after was dated sometime in '02.

What struck me in the string was that apparently you were able to do an update of your '00, although you had some problems after - which seem to have cured thenmselves. What you described resembled the problem I had after the dealer tried the update of my COMAND - but I never gave it the time you did after the problem appeared. I took the car back to the dealer immediately - never left the block he was on. He couldn't resolve it either, and replaced the whole unit (under warranty). Now I am just wondering, for curiosity only, whether it was necessary.

I also wondered if waiting as you did helped FL2002E55? Or perhaps, if trying a flash of his unit with the update you used would help?
Thanks for your usual, thurough, information. Actually, I was unable to download the upgrade. Never got past the intro screen, and after reading what you said am glad I didn't. It might have really messed up my COMAND. And after looking more closely at the CD and case info I would only let an MB tech do it. I realized the above pic wasn't big enough to read so am posting new ones below. It might tell you more about the upgrade. Let us know what you glean from them, and thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOSCH CD case.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	114806   Click image for larger version

Name:	BOSCH  CD.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	114807  

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Technical Forums > Audio & Telematics Forum