Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

c 230 kompressor radio

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  raverx3m 
#1 ·
i just have a quick question i am the biggest audio noob in the world i think and would like to know is the stock radio in the 2005 c230 kompressor a single or double din, also can a single din radio fit in the space thanks

#2 ·
The radio is about the size of a DD BUT it is not rectangular. The size of the opening is unique to the C class and the radio for the sedan and coupe are slightly different in shape so even among 05 C class there is no one size. Crutchfields may still have faceplate adapters that might fit but interfacing the electronics is another minefield.

Both VW and MB have their head units tied to the vehicles serial databuss for functions like error and fault logging, panel lighting, delayed power, and integeration with the external amp. MB also ties the rest of the audio and teleaid systems with a fiber optic hub going through the HU, so it is no simple matter to replace the radio with an aftermarket unit. The factory HK Logic 7 system is good enough for most everything except it needs a powered sub box if you are into shaking the tail lights loose. Adding better speakers is the most cost effective way to better sound. Good speakers will make a stock system sound great. The best electronics will never make a cheap speaker sound good.

#4 ·
The only good way of using your ipod is with the integration kit. Other than that you can get a FM modulator which will let you listen to it using your FM tuner on your radio. A powered sub is simply a sub that has its own amplifier. Also, You can still purchase the adapter for your C-class from Circuit City. but like n5160u said, the electronics is a whole other story.

#5 ·
if you hold down the cdc button aux input active appears. There is a thread in benz world that shows the part numnber that you can get from mercedes to hook up an ipod via 3.5mm wire. The guy even has pics...it might take a little searching and looking but i did it in my 05 c230k.

#6 ·
I'm sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I've been trying to search for answers all over and am getting frustrated.

I'm somewhat a noob... I mean, I've done radio swaps on older cars before, but those were usually 'combos' where everything you need came in one box (including mount) and it was as easy as taking one out and putting the other in.

But w/ Mercedes, I'm running into all kinds of dumb questions can't find straight answers.

So here goes, I hope someone will be nice enough to reply:

2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. Stock head unit (the trapezoid-looking one). Single CD-player w/ multi in the glove box and steering wheel controls. No Harmon Kardon or Bose. So,

1. What size is my radio? I thought double din, Crutchfield says its 'E' (Euro-din)

2. Regardless, as long as I buy the double-din mount, I can still install double-din radios? Where can I find specs about size, depth, etc.?

3. "Both VW and MB have their head units tied to the vehicles serial databuss for functions like error and fault logging, panel lighting, delayed power, and integeration with the external amp. MB also ties the rest of the audio and teleaid systems with a fiber optic hub going through the HU, so it is no simple matter to replace the radio with an aftermarket unit."

I'm too noob for all that. I'm not dumb, I'm just trying to figure out what exactly all that means. Bottom line: What happens when I remove my radio?

I'm not looking to hook up amps or subs. I just want a 6 or 7 inch touchscreen w/ bluetooth and ipod and possibly navigation. I'm considering the Pioneer AVIC-D3X ... but between din-sizes and the quote from #3, I'm wondering if I should bother with anything at all. Seems like more trouble than it's worth?

#8 ·
I'm sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I've been trying to search for answers all over and am getting frustrated.

I'm somewhat a noob... I mean, I've done radio swaps on older cars before, but those were usually 'combos' where everything you need came in one box (including mount) and it was as easy as taking one out and putting the other in.

But w/ Mercedes, I'm running into all kinds of dumb questions can't find straight answers.

So here goes, I hope someone will be nice enough to reply:

2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. Stock head unit (the trapezoid-looking one). Single CD-player w/ multi in the glove box and steering wheel controls. No Harmon Kardon or Bose. So,

1. What size is my radio? I thought double din, Crutchfield says its 'E' (Euro-din)
It's a bit bigger than double DIN. If you install a double DIN head, you will need an adapter. There are a number of these available, of varying quality and finish.

2. Regardless, as long as I buy the double-din mount, I can still install double-din radios? Where can I find specs about size, depth, etc.?
See above. You will need an adapter.

3. "Both VW and MB have their head units tied to the vehicles serial databuss for functions like error and fault logging, panel lighting, delayed power, and integeration with the external amp. MB also ties the rest of the audio and teleaid systems with a fiber optic hub going through the HU, so it is no simple matter to replace the radio with an aftermarket unit."

I'm too noob for all that. I'm not dumb, I'm just trying to figure out what exactly all that means. Bottom line: What happens when I remove my radio?
In general, nothing bad, unless you have other MOST fiber devices in your car (teleaid, etc). In general you will be fine - it's worth knowing what others options you have installed. You will NOT be able to use your cd-changer with a non Mercedes HU.

I'm not looking to hook up amps or subs. I just want a 6 or 7 inch touchscreen w/ bluetooth and ipod and possibly navigation. I'm considering the Pioneer AVIC-D3X ... but between din-sizes and the quote from #3, I'm wondering if I should bother with anything at all. Seems like more trouble than it's worth?
It's not trivial to replace the HU in a Merc. You will need an adapter harness and double DIN mounting adapter at the very least. You will probably want to buy a CAN-BUS adapter so that you can retain the use of the controls on your steering wheel.

The above said, it's very doable, its just more complicated than a "normal" car. The results can be excellent.

#7 ·
I replaced the radio in mine i haven't had any trouble it all seems to be workming fine

#10 ·
"It's a bit bigger than double DIN. If you install a double DIN head, you will need an adapter. There are a number of these available, of varying quality and finish."
Where can one find such adapter??? and the fiber opt. do i have to re-wire all the speakers and everything or is there an adapter for the HU and all that as well?? if so where can i buy it?? thanks!

#12 ·
sure enough they do and at a good price too. any idea on the fiber optics i keep hearing about. i have an 05 c230 and what ive read in 05 mercedes used fiber optics for the audio or soemthing like that. im worried i will buy a HU and everything i need and turn around and realize i cant do it. any ideas?? anyway? thanks for the help on the harness by the way, much appreciated!

#13 ·
Fiber optic

I'm not sure about the '05 models, but the '02 used fiber optic cables for the bose radio w/amp option and the cd changer option. In the '02, the bose amp is located in the rear passenger side wheel compartment in the trunk. The cd changer is located in the glove box. My '02 didn't have either option, but I have the factory installed fiber optic wiring in these two places. If you are just replacing the head unit, and not using the factory cd changer or amp, you should be just fine with the wiring harness adapter.

#14 ·
You can find out if it has optical by looking in trunk right side panel. find orange wires, these are the optical cables. If they go to something, you have optical. You can also look behind radio, if they are hooked up then most likely you have optical.

this should help with removal.

http://documents.victorytechnologies...oduct/8595.pdf

this kit is a single din kit but there is a double din out there.

Heres a pic of my new install. used swi jacks to retain steering controls. looks good and works and sound great.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Gear shift

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.