Originally Posted by Roman Aragon
I have the opportunity to buy a tv tuner for my comand at a very good price. The point is that the seller insists that his tv tuner (original Mercedes, part A 211 820 05 97) will fit any APS comand , but cannot guarantee that it may fit a "non APS" comand, as mine is. Any help from you guys would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
... where shall I start...
* First of all, it is ALWAYS very useful to know what car we are talking about (model and year). AND we need to know where you are located, as there is a difference between Euro, US and Japanese spec!
* Secondly, I don't know that much about part numbers, so I can't tell you if you have the right one. But the part number indicates that it is a MOST based TV tuner... Thus can't be used in a car with D2B wiring (pre facelifted E, C, CLKs for instance)
* Third, if you have a Euro spec DVD comand in dash (for instance for a W211, W219, W220, all with MOST wiring), and the unit looks similar to the one in this link:
... you will ONLY be able to hook up a TV tuner if the comand unit comes with a TV connector at the back. And - just a FYI - not all units have this connector.
The back of the comand should look like the one in this link (the unit on the left):
* If you have an R171 SLK, the Euro DVD comand will NOT have a TV connector whatsoever. It will be possible to get a TV tuner installed, but then someone needs to 'trick' the head unit first.
* If you have a (facelifted) W203, W209, a W164 etc, you may be able to get this TV tuner connected...
The Euro DVD comand unit will look similar to the one in this link (scroll down):
* US spec DVD comands can NOT get a TV tuner connected. Japanese spec units differ from US and Euro specs - and the info I wrote down is NOT meant for Japanese spec cars.
* I don't know if you are looking for TV / DVD while in motion, but in case you are:
- W211, W219, 2004+ W220, 2004+ W215 and R171 can all be versioncoded through Stardiagnose to get TV / DVD while in motion
- 2005+ W203 and W209, W164, A / B-classes can NOT be programmed for TV / DVD while in motion!!! There is an aftermarket device, though, that can enable this feature...