Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

MP3 Disk Burning - How To

272K views 216 replies 101 participants last post by  baltoS550 
#1 ·
I spent lots of time and wasted loads of CD's, but I think I now know exactly what should be done to burn an MP3 CD that the COMAND system will accept. Thought I would share my experience.

1. When you first rip your music, do so at a bit rate of at least 128kps. I use 160kps. I believe the COMAND will recognize up to 320kps. Anything less will not give your good music quality and, if you have LOGIC7, may not work properly, as per the COMAND manual.

2. MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE ALL ID3 TAGS! I've burned several MP3 songs that played well on my computer and other players but would not function in my car. Finally came to the conclusion that those ID3 tags (information such as artist, track number, music genre, album artwork, etc.) sometimes confuse the system and the song will not play. Worse yet, some songs with ID3's caused the unit to freeze up. You can find some great freeware programs to remove those tags. I use this freeware program (http://www.marre.org/id3remover/) for my Windows XP machine. I'm sure there are many others out there that will perform this task. Do a Google search.

3. Once you have your music files cleaned of ID3 tags, arrange them in folders. I like to put folders of the artist's name in the root directory and put their music inside. This is a personal preference. You can of course name folders by music type, mood, etc. Use your imagination. Just remember that there is a limit to the number of folders that COMAND will recognize. My manual says 255 songs or folders in the root directory and 255 songs or folders in each folder. I have seen some postings where only 32 or 99 folders are recognized. Your system may vary. My system (2006 SLK COMAND) recognizes the 255 as stated.

4. Burn your CD's as Data files. MP3 CD's that I've burned in the music mode (i.e. as an MP3 music CD) have occasionally given me problems. I use Roxio's Toast and you have the choice of burning as a data disk or a music disk - use the data disk option. Your computer by default will probably burn your files as pure data, but it might be 'smart' enough to recognize .mp3 as music and may automatically make a music CD. Try to turn this option off.

5. Burn at a slow rate. When you choose the burn speed, don't use "Maximum Possible". This is a general rule of thumb to maximize accuracy in burning. I'm not sure that it is necessary in this situation, but I do it anyway.

That's it. By the way, the above works if you are burning a CD or, in some COMAND units, a DVD. My system recognizes DVD's even though I don't have NAV. This allows for A LOT of music on one disk. The rules are the same for both regular CD's (about 700 Mb) and DVD's (over 4 Gig).

Hope the above is helpful.

See less See more
#27 ·
The "Red Book" standard for CDs only allows for 99 tracks, and also has limitations on time and data. An .mp3 CD will be limited to 99 tracks, even if the time and data limitations are not exceeded.

My COMAND plays .mp3 CDs and .mp3 DVDs in the single CD/DVD slot mounted in the console, behind the COMAND screen.

.mp3 DVDs are not limited to 99 tracks, but to 255 tracks (per folder, I believe; I write to multple folders and have over a thousand tracks on each of 2 DVDs that covers my iTunes collection, and they play very well).

My DVD player also plays the sound track to commercial DVDs; this is useful principally for music DVDs, but the sound is of very high quality.

What I have not been able to do successfully is mix file formats on a DVD - for example, to mix .mp3, AAC, Applel Lossless, and .AIFF and play it successfully. That results in some songs playing, then read errors. What I have not tried on a DVD is recording all .AIFF or all Apple Lossless or AAC to see if they play through. The advantage of that would be higher quality formats than .mp3. Some day.

#28 ·
drosen - 12/9/2005 8:03 AM

My car has the 420 Ent. Package which includes COMMAND headunit, Sat Radio, 6-Disc Changer, prewiring for DVD-nav and iPod.

I do have the command system, including a cd slot in the dash and the 6-disc in the trunk. Never tried placing CDs w/ MP3 in the dash, because the manual states that it does not play them.

So, do you have any other ideas?

thanks
Well, you quoted page 222 of your owner's manual. What does your COMAND (only one 'M') manual say on page 60? If it references 255 tracks or folders as mine does, then maybe you have an issue for your MB service rep.

#29 ·
Skylaw - 12/9/2005 10:33 AM

The "Red Book" standard for CDs only allows for 99 tracks, and also has limitations on time and data. An .mp3 CD will be limited to 99 tracks, even if the time and data limitations are not exceeded.
It's interesting I guess this standard does not apply to BMW Alphine changers. On our 2006 BMW 750Li, the in-dash CD changer (from Alphine I believe, requiring a cartridge), can play MP3 CDs with more than 150 songs.

#30 ·
There are many deviations from the standard; the only problem is, non-compliant CDs may not play on other players/changers. Of course, if the non compliant disc meets your needs, that's not a problem.

You may also find that many disc-burning programs won't permit more than 99 tracks on a CD, since that's the standard. Some may.

#31 ·
Red Book is the standard for audio CDs, and doesn't cover mp3 data discs so I don't see that it is relevant here. I haven't seen any such limitation in the handful of aftermarket head units I have used, either. For example I fitted a Becker Mexico Pro unit recently in my E class which will happily fit 200+ tracks and/or folders on a CD, constrained by the actual disc space rather than an abritrary limit, although there is generally a limit of 255 tracks and/or folders. It's possible that the (obsolescent) firmware on some combined CD audio/mp3 players has a 99 track limit, or that since the player loads the TOC when you insert the disc, memory limitations may come into play, but it shouldn't be like than in 2005.

#32 ·
I have a 2004 E55 with command and no Nav. I have burned several MP3 CDs that do not play at all. Is this a 2004 issue or am i doing something wrong. I am using I-Tunes to do it and I have tried several different ways. Tonight I am going to try a different type of CD and DVD but wonder what the secret is?

THanks

D

#34 ·
Mad TKD - 1/6/2006 12:50 PM

After going to the dealer for service I asked them to upgrade the Command software to accept MP3 CDs. It works now perfect.
So a simple software update solved everything? Very interesting piece of information! Thanks.

What country are you from?

#37 ·
Mad TKD - 1/6/2006 2:58 PM
I am in Huntsville AL USA. I dont know if it works for all Commands but there is a update for the E55. The MP3 CDs work fine in single CD but not in the CD changer.
Good luck
You need a updated cd changer to play mp3's there is a couple diff. numbers here is one 211-870-08-89.
No folder access from the changer though.........
Sam

#39 ·
I thought so. My wife's '05 E320 4Matic/Bose 6+1 in-dash cd player plays MP3 and gives folder info. Of course my '03 ML500 is a few years older. I remember some of the older Pioneer CDs could have the software updated by a CD with new Firmware flash info and then would play MP3s. Too bad Alpine can't.

Pete

#44 ·
PeterV - 2/2/2006 12:03 PM

I asked my dealer last week when in for routine maint about the Command MP3 mod, he knew nothing about it. HMMM..
Pete
Does anyone know why track titles won't display for MP3 *OR* CD Audio? My dealer says they're not supposed to, contrary to what I read in this thread. I gave up on CD Audio, but I'm trying to get MP3 CDs to display.

System plays the MP3s fine, but displays only track numbers. This is so primitive! Help!

And yes, the track titles (and folders etc) are all properly embedded with the MP3 data, they show fine when I play them on my laptop for instance. TIA.

#46 ·
You don't say what CD burner software you use; I usually edit with Jam and burn with Toast. If I am burning .mp3s kept in my iTunes library, I have to manually enter the song titles to get them to display. They will show on the COMAND screen, but I get only track number on the instrument cluster MFD.

#47 ·
Well you'll probably howl, but I'm just using Roxio to write data to CDs.

Interestingly, I notice that the player in the car is playing the MP3 tracks in alphabetical order (per track title) within each folder. Even though it has not acknowledged track titles in any way, and still displays just track numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.