Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Show us your system!

246K views 149 replies 106 participants last post by  StevenGrant 
#1 ·
Post pictures of your audio, video, phone, stock system. Whatever you are proud of! With the pictures post the specs of the speakers,amp,headunit,screen size etc..

#56 ·
Sound install in my '85 W123 230E

Hi, guys!

I also have the photos posted in the W123-forum, but I think it's probably more suited here. There's no way that I'm going to get a proper digital camera in the near future, so I apologise for the poor quality of my cellphone.

This is what I installed in my car so far. I bought most of my equipment online from US stores - South African prices are ridiculous:

Head unit: Kenwood KDC-X889 (bought it online from Woofersetc.com)
Stereo amp: Kenwood KAC-8452 (bought it online on eBay from Indo Audio)
Mono amp: Kenwood KAC-8152D (also from Woofersetc.com)
Front stage: Kenwood KFC-P403 components
Rear stage: Kenwood KFC-6909 (who bothers about rear fill anyway?)
Subwoofer: Two Kenwood KFC-W3009 12" in a 2 cu. ft. sealed enclosure

I used a 1 inch hole cutter to remove the A-pillar trim to fit the tweeter in the opening. What do guys think (apart from cursing me for cutting the trim)? Sound stage is great, by the way! How do your dashboards cope there in the US? The Germans obviously didn't design them to last for eternity in the African sun. Do yours also crack at the passenger side speaker?

Sorry for not being able to see my amps, but I think it's probably a good idea (out of sight, out of mind - is that how the saying goes?).

It's simply coincidence that both amps, next to each other, are exactly the same width as the sub enclosure. As you can see, the thing is huge (there's about a foot's worth of space in front of it). The W123 trunk is really small for such a large car, isn't it? Unfortunately, one sub simply won't penetrate the cabin sufficiently without having to turn the amp gains up.

I built the enclosure myself from 22 mm MDF. Needless to say, the thing weighs a ton, but I think I now have the ideal weight distribution in my car.

It may seem that I'm one of those guys who drive around with my windows down, wanting the world to hear me. It's really not the case. My objective was ultimate sound quality. So, even though I have two subs, the bass in the cabin is just right - tight and clean, with no boominess.

It's really amazing that when all doors and windows are closed, one can barely hear the music from the outside. Obviously one vaguely hears the bass (my rear bumper has a nasty rattle when those subs are pounding), but really not disturbing at all. It really goes to show how insulated and well built our tanks are.

Just want to mention that I did the install all by myself - I don't easily trust anybody to work on my car, especially when it comes to stripping the interior. It was quite an exercise. I had to strip the trunk trim, rear seats (has anybody tried putting that seatback back again?), all carpeting (to route the wires) and both lower dash panels. All audio wiring runs with the existing wiring (none of those cheesy neon RCA and speaker cables, mine is all black).

My car
Head unit
Front speaker and tweeter
Subwoofer enclosure
Stereo amplifier
Mono amplifier
Amplifier wiring

#58 ·
So is this the only way to hook up a zune? I assume it won't connect to the ipod interface? What type of cable did you use and who did this installation for you? My husband has an E350 ordered and we're trying to figure out a way to get my zune to work. Thanks for the info!

#59 ·
muglich said:
So is this the only way to hook up a zune? I assume it won't connect to the ipod interface? What type of cable did you use and who did this installation for you? My husband has an E350 ordered and we're trying to figure out a way to get my zune to work. Thanks for the info!
For now, the Zune needs to use an audio/video input - like a normal MP3 player. There are not any devices that enable you to navigate the Zune through the headunit (like iPod units). People are working on an adapter cable from iPod plug to Zune plug in order to dock the Zune to the millions of iPod devices, but that will not include outboard file navigation.

The exception would be if you did a carputer and hacked its registry in order to view the Zune like an external hard drive. Then you could play the files through a Windows Media Player.

#60 ·
Version 2

I went with two 10" in sealed enclosures. The boxes are fixed to the mounting board which was bolted down to the body.

Two amps under the false floor.

New Bluetooth HU and custom iPod docking. I know it's not the cleanest, but cut me a bit of slack. It was my 1st attempt to fabricate something from scratch. I'm already working on ways to do the next one better.

Attachments

#65 ·
I think you did a very good job, looks amazing. I like the Alpine interface with the deck inside the glove comp. Also I think that system fits very nicely inside the trunk. I wanna do some conversions to our M class now lol...I have a few quesitons, we have an M with the third row seats so would we have to remove the seats to fit like 2 12" subs in the back? I mean our sound quality is pretty decent (BOSE) but I just want some knock.

#66 · (Edited)
I have a 92 190e 2.3 with audio & video upgrades=
GPS: Hawkeye 2.25"" x 3.0"" high-resolution color touch-screen display and voice prompted guidance
Head unit: Pioneer DEH-P3800MP 50Wx4, CD,MP3,WMA player, Text,SAT Radio ready, wireless remote
Front dash: Infinity Refrence REF3012CF 3-1/2" two-way
Front doors: Infinity Refrence REF4012I 4" two-way
Rear deck: Infinity Refrence REF6012I 6-1/2" two-way, two 2 inch port holes to the trunk
Trunk: 6in Boozka tube powered by Legacy Series II MOSFET 300 watt amp bridged
Monster Cable 304 XLN
It sounds very clean, and not too LOUD!

Attachments

#73 ·
here is a car that we recently finished. it is a 2007 e63 amg.

inside are audison lrx1.1k and lrx4.5

along with 2 hertz mille 10's band passed through the ski port in the seat.

we also did the video conversion for the nav screen and put the dvd player in the glove box and the IR eye in the glve box latch

all of the work was done at
Traffic Jamz Car Audio
Encino CA 91436
(818) 501-5267

#74 ·
In my E63

(2) JL Audio 10w6s subs
Custom Sub Enclosure with firing chamber that directs sound and air to cabin
(2) JL Audio 500/1 Amps (power the subs)
(1) JL Audio 300/4 (powers door speakers)
Focal 165 K2P Component Speakers for the front doors
Focal 165 CV1 Coaxial speakers for the backseat doors
Remote Bass Knob (installed in arm rest)
Audio Control Line Output Converter
Custom Amp Rack and Cover with AMG logo

#76 ·
CLS55 System

Check this out... Rockford T15001, 2 Rockford T6002, 4 pairs of Rockford T62 components, 4 Rockford P3 10" subs, 1 Rockford 360.2, 1 Rockford 10 Farad cap, 2 Optima Yellows. Complete install is done in MB factory materials. iPod integration and subwoofer level/Q controls built into the ash tray. The system hauls ass and maintains the stock radio features and controls.

Attachments

#77 ·
Comand 2 - 2001 w210 pure stock

Thanks Forum;

This could not have been done without the help of several people here. You all know who you are, and Thanks.
It works great ( as well as 6 year old tech can ) and I don't know how I drove without it.

B

Attachments

#116 ·
Thanks Forum;

This could not have been done without the help of several people here. You all know who you are, and Thanks.
It works great ( as well as 6 year old tech can ) and I don't know how I drove without it.

B
Hello,
I have a 01 E320 I would love to upgrade to the Nav system that I see you have... I now have the Bose with out Nav, did you do the upgrade and what all is involved?

Thanks,
Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.