BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: 99 E55 Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fully disable esp?

Is there anyone who knows how to fully disable the esp on the W210-models? Only pressing the esp button doesnt fully disable it. This is how its done in the W203 and this only works for the W203. Someone needs to figure out how to fully disable the ESP on a W210.

Fully disabling ESP for the W203

I don't know if anybody outside of the dealer is aware of this, but the traction control can be completely disabled simply by use of the steering wheel buttons. Here's the low-down-
1. To start, the key must be removed from the ignition.
2. Insert the key and turn to position 1.
3. Immediately press and hold the trip odometer reset button until the instrument cluster beeps. There is no visual message, only an audio beep. Be patient, this takes around 40 seconds.
4. Press the lower menu button (it looks like two sheets of paper, the one with the writing in the background behind the blank one)
5. Press the up arrow button.
6. Press the "+" sign to disable the Traction System (turn "ON" test mode)
7. Start the engine, the traction system is now disabled.
To return to normal, remove the key and restart the engine. The traction control warning should no longer be in the cluster. If it is, shut the engine off and remove the key again. Then insert the key and turn to position 1. Note that the DYNO test screen is displayed immediately. Push the "-" button to enable the traction system (turn "OFF" test mode)
NOTE: When you first turn the key to position 1, ESP DYNO Test screen pops up, then after 1-2 seconds it may disappear while faults are displayed. If you weren't fast enough in pressing the "-" button before codes were displayed, just wait until all codes cycle by, then the ESP DYNO Test screen will reappear.

No, this doesn't work for any car but the 203, before you ask... But does anyone know the procedure for the 210?

/Marky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 06:27 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 E55
Fully disable ESP

Marky,
Why do you want to totally disable the ESP? It is my understanding that when the ESP is switched off the traction control that still works is to apply power needed to both rear wheels because the car has neither positraction nor a limited slip differential. I have a 2002 E55 with a RENNtech high boost supercharger and wouldn't think of disabling the traction control. With the ESP switched off, I get good traction at the drag strip (under 2.000 seconds from 0-60 feet). I recently went on a road course with a professional instructor and he was very impressed with the ESP function (saved me from spinning around several times). I have a lot invested in my car and am glad to have ESP.
I drive my car on dry pavement with the ESP switched off to save on brake pad and rotor wear. But in wet situations I switch it on. If an emergency would arise where I'd be driving as fast as possible, I would definitely switch ESP on (wet or dry).
#3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 03:52 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: 99 E55 Wagon
(Thread Starter)
Now I know how to fully disable the ESP! Just pressing the ESP-button isnt enough. It ...

Now I know how to fully disable the ESP!

Just pressing the ESP-button isnt enough. It doesnt fully disable the ESP. Many times om these boards I have seen the discussions about this topic. A lot of you guys out there want to know how to get rid of the ESP completely. Yesterday I discovered how to do it.

My 99 E55 has had problems with the mass air sensor. Yesterday my MB-dealer changed it to a new one and I am so pleased! When I press the ESP-button the system really shuts down. The tires spinn all the time! When I asked my dealer why this could be he told me that there has been a lot of problems with the old mass air sensors. There fore the software in the new sensors is updated to a new version. And my dealer thought that the new software allows you to fully disable the ESP.

Anyway, Im very pleased with my car now. It almost feels like I have a new car!

Marky

#4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 08:51 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2003
Vehicle: E55 AMG
Did you/can you discover from your dealer when M-B changed the sensor to the one he fitted...

Did you/can you discover from your dealer when M-B changed the sensor to the one he fitted? Mine's an April 01 UK spec car and I'd be interested to know if it has the same one you now have.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 04:35 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
software update fully disables esb sounds false?
#6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 04:53 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 2000 w203 c200k (Yes, it's a w203 from Germany)
What's up with the bumping of half decade or more old threads?
#7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 10:05 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2007 E63 / 2008 997TT / 2002 E55 AMG (SOLD)
MB allowing owners to full disable ESP could only mean more lawsuits against them, why would they allow that..I wouldn't want to drive with it off but it would be nice if you could turn it off during a dyno run
#8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:36 AM

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: E55 ///AMG
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_02AMG View Post
..I wouldn't want to drive with it off but it would be nice if you could turn it off during a dyno run
Yeah you can fully disabled the ESP during dyno run. You need to find and unplug the fuse for the ESP. You can also manually unplug the ESP module in the mid right hand corner of your engine bay (with you facing the car) right next to the wind shield washer reservoir.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	270489  

#9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 2001 E55 AMG
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, I know this is an old thread but saves starting a new one.
Flooring my car when stopped results in power to the engine being killed and it bogs down before picking up again.
I've never bothered trying it with ESP off because of what I've read about it not being fully off, and not off 'till 50 MPH.
Anyway I just tried it and wow!....Wheels were spinning good style, back end trying to kick out and having a bit of a fight with the steering wheel trying to keep it straight.
Best bit though is that it didn't kill power to the engine
Can't wait for my LSD.

Quote:
Eric Cantona quotes
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 09:10 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: E55 AMG
Hi Shaun,

Never really tried it with ESP off.Like i said in earlier threads i kind of trust it and not my driving, i know its saved me one or two times. When i first bought the car and floored it i nearly s*** myself. But i guess for a bit of theatre and some smoke its a good thing you can turn it off if you can afford to buy new tyres lol. Dont think you can switch it off menu wise on mine 98 210.. as the menus are very limited.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > AMG W210 E50 , AMG E55