#1 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 11:36 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 2000 W210 E55 AMG, Silver/Black - Stock
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Metallic Cats pass California Smog Emissions?

I know they wont pass visual but I don't always go to places that know what they are looking at.

I do care about emissions and want the car to pass the test.

Does anyone know if the car will pass the emission test with dual metallic cats on each side (four total)?

My idea is to get the Kleeman headers with four metallic cats, locate the O2's in the same spots around the primary cats.

I think this will flow very well and should pass emissions but was wondering if anyone had tried it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 12:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
What are you trying to accomplish - sound or performance ?

The Kleeman headers were never really developed for use/justification as a stand-alone upgrade.

The Kleeman super-charger was awesome, and sold/installed thru select MB dealers at that time.

The Kleeman headers were developed for that supercharger install - since a blower in front in general requires higher capacity out.

Even at "discount" Kleeman headers would be kindof a exotic investment for dubious/minimal benefit for a non-SC W210.

Keep the beat !
#3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks fabbrisd1. I am after more power for good value. Sound not so much.

On your take, I tended to agree previously with you but when I held the factory AMG manifolds in my hand I thought to myself that headers, such as the Kleeman, surely add a substantial amount of power. The old Chevy 5.7L's making only 230HP had manifolds and responded nicely to headers. I was just thinking that our 350HP mills would respond even better. But I have not seen dyno results that are that impressive- a nod to AMG factory exhaust capability.

Now changing the cats with hi flow units along with the headers, maybe that's worth consideration?
#4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 08:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 2001 E55 AMG
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think I am correct in saying that this is something you have had on your mind for sometime, so go for it if it's what you want to do.
I just have 200 CEL primaries with the o2 sensors before and after each one, straight after my semi home made headers.
In my opinion there is a vast difference to the stock set up and I would imagine yours would be an improvement on mine.
You can buy the weld in collars that the sensors screw into, the thread size is M18.
Also I have never had an engine light with my set up.

Quote:
Eric Cantona quotes
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 11:15 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Man I want to but the last thing I need is for my car to fail the actual emissions part of the test. There is no getting around that.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 09:29 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweinhund View Post
Man I want to but the last thing I need is for my car to fail the actual emissions part of the test. There is no getting around that.
Agreed, that is a big issue living in California.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 2001 E55 AMG
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How do they do your emissions test?
Here we have a probe up the exhaust and different cars have different pass figures, my car with a 200 cat on each side passed the below 3000RPM but failed the above 3000 test. Luckily I know the tester.
I think that 300 cats would pass and if I had 2 x 300 on each side it would sail through.

Quote:
Eric Cantona quotes
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 01:13 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
That's good info. Sounds like CA test for our cars. I will see how I do with my secondaries out. If I pass (or barely), I may go for the double 200 cell metallics. If I fail, I'll have to see how badly I did and maybe put two 200 cell metallics in.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 04:04 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAUNE55 View Post
How do they do your emissions test?
Here we have a probe up the exhaust and different cars have different pass figures, my car with a 200 cat on each side passed the below 3000RPM but failed the above 3000 test. Luckily I know the tester.
I think that 300 cats would pass and if I had 2 x 300 on each side it would sail through.
In CA they put a probe up the tail pipe and run the car on some rollers (just like a dyno). They run it at a few different speeds for a few minutes and record the results. They're supposed to do a visual, but not all places do. They also check the gas cap depending on the vehicle as well. One of our shop trucks failed that once, but they let it pass and just told us to buy a new cap for it.

I was also pulled over once when I had my 5.0 for not running cats. The cop was into Mustangs and knew right away. Luckily I got off with just a verbal warning instead of a ticket. I was running no cats with dumped exhaust, both of which are illegal in CA. I used to know a guy that got busted for that and the ticket was $1,500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > AMG W210 E50 , AMG E55

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.