steering wheel makes groaning noise - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 05:17 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
ProV1x's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: E55 ///AMG
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
steering wheel makes groaning noise

hi all, just picked up my 01 E55. just awesome. but i have a few issues, one of which:

when i turn the steering wheel, either direction, at low speeds it makes 'groaning' noise. like groaning or rubber squeaking kinda noise. what is this?

Gone but not forgotten:
2003 Honda S2000
1999 BMW 540i sport
1995 BMW M3
ProV1x is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Moderator
 
JOE55's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: E55 ///AMG
Location: SF Bay Area, CA.
Posts: 6,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Check your Serpentive Belt.

JOE55 is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 06:18 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1x View Post
hi all, just picked up my 01 E55. just awesome. but i have a few issues, one of which:

when i turn the steering wheel, either direction, at low speeds it makes 'groaning' noise. like groaning or rubber squeaking kinda noise. what is this?
I had the same problem and took authorised benz workshop 2 weeks to look for the problem. Actually , it is simple problem and dont let them changed the whole steering shaft(expensive) . The noise is from radial sealing ring on the steering gear control head. The rings is black in color, located inside the bar located bwtween the 2 front wheel. the spare parts are very cheap but labor intensive. You need a expert to repair this and the ATF oil need to be drained first. It is not as easy as just to open the steering wheel inside the cabin and spray lubricants.


MB IDOL
MB-IDOL is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 03:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Ed Austin's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: '01 E55
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have same noise

I have the same groaning noise in the steering wheel that the original post describes. Also, it just started making a squeaking noise in the front of the engine (somewhere on the front driver's side of the engine). Possible the serpentine belt or one of the pulleys on the belt.

Joe55, why did you suggest the belt? Is the groaning in the steering wheel a common symptom of a worn belt?
Ed Austin is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 08:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Check Codes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Location: John 15:18-19
Posts: 28,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Austin View Post
I have the same groaning noise in the steering wheel that the original post describes. Also, it just started making a squeaking noise in the front of the engine (somewhere on the front driver's side of the engine). Possible the serpentine belt or one of the pulleys on the belt.

Joe55, why did you suggest the belt? Is the groaning in the steering wheel a common symptom of a worn belt?
Hi, Ed. This is a relatively common issue with the W210. There are a couple of TSBs out on it depending on which issue is causing the noise. One is relatively quick, simple and cheap, the other requires removing the rack and replacing a part in the steering box if memory serves correctly (my car had both done under warranty, they always do the cheap one first, if that doesn't resolve it then the big $$ one, it's big dollars because of the labor). If your warranty is expired these are wholly on your dime as well.

I can't say why Joe suggested the serpentine belt, but he's since had his rack replaced, I think in part to chase the noise he was having.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. (Winston Churchill)
Check Codes is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
peter_02AMG's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2007 E63 / 2008 997TT / 2002 E55 AMG (SOLD)
Location: Somewhere out there
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB-IDOL View Post
I had the same problem and took authorised benz workshop 2 weeks to look for the problem. Actually , it is simple problem and dont let them changed the whole steering shaft(expensive) . The noise is from radial sealing ring on the steering gear control head. The rings is black in color, located inside the bar located bwtween the 2 front wheel. the spare parts are very cheap but labor intensive. You need a expert to repair this and the ATF oil need to be drained first. It is not as easy as just to open the steering wheel inside the cabin and spray lubricants.


MB IDOL
Why does the ATF oil need to be drained?? Stering wheel have no direction connection to the transmission.

I having the same noise in my stering wheel. now it getting louder because the weather is getting colder. really annoying.
peter_02AMG is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 09:24 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Ed Austin's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: '01 E55
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, Greg, for the input. I'm getting a new serpentine belt and belt tensioner in the mail today. I diagnosed the belt tensioner as the culprit of the chirping noise with a stethescope. I'll put those in this weekend and (hopefully) take care of the noise in the engine compartment.

If I still have the noise in the steering wheel, I'll try the "cheap" fix first. I think you are referring to the TSB that shows how to champfer the edges of the sterring boot and the nylon seal ring.
Ed Austin is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 07:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2005 S500 4matic Sport Designo
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 2,768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB-IDOL View Post
I had the same problem and took authorised benz workshop 2 weeks to look for the problem. Actually , it is simple problem and dont let them changed the whole steering shaft(expensive) . The noise is from radial sealing ring on the steering gear control head. The rings is black in color, located inside the bar located bwtween the 2 front wheel. the spare parts are very cheap but labor intensive. You need a expert to repair this and the ATF oil need to be drained first. It is not as easy as just to open the steering wheel inside the cabin and spray lubricants.


MB IDOL
Can you elaborate on what your tech did.

I have this same noise, and Id prefer not to replace the rack if at all possible since it doesn't leak.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the repair and do you have the part numbers?
Quadcammer is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 06:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Check Codes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Location: John 15:18-19
Posts: 28,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, folks.

I knew I'd seen the details somewhere, while editing the DIY sticky in the 210 forum I came across it, supplied by reyna7. It's a pdf, so if you don't have Acrobat reader installed, then when you come back from your home planet go ahead and take care of that, then you can view it.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg


http://www.benzworld.org/forums/atta...factsept04.pdf - PDF Version


Adobe's Free Acrobat reader can be downloaded by following the steps starting here: Adobe - Adobe Reader Download - All versions

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. (Winston Churchill)
Check Codes is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 01:25 AM
Moderator
 
JOE55's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: E55 ///AMG
Location: SF Bay Area, CA.
Posts: 6,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs210 View Post
I can't say why Joe suggested the serpentine belt, but he's since had his rack replaced, I think in part to chase the noise he was having.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
This ia before my rack got replaced, anyway the noise is gone.

JOE55 is offline  
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > AMG W210 E50 , AMG E55


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome