Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

72' 250/8 parts

2K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  dgosh28 
#1 · (Edited)
Any interest in w114 parts out there? A girl I was doing a headgasket for has changed her mind after usual hassles(machine shop forgot for a month,gasket set took forever) and I can get it for scrap price.She has decided to abandon the cyl head at the machine shop,so I don't have it(or a machinist,probably). The car is rusty,homely,and I have a aging W140 to feed so I cant afford to save it..If anyone gets back to me soon,I'll buy it and part it.Other wise I'll wave goodbye as it goes to pic n pull.- rebuilt Zeniths, electronic ign, KYBs and Lemforder rear springs a year old.split bumper car.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I need parts for my '71 250. I have two sets of Zeniths, but both are missing linkage and need to be rebuilt. I'd be interested in the Zeniths, if they were too cheap. I probably also need ignition parts, some steering column linkage/parts, good sunvisors, and maybe an ignition switch.

#6 ·
This is before and after rebuild.Car ran great for a year other than idle speed would vary with eng temp,which I thought was heat risers.She showed up with coolant in oil before they were fixed.Build date on car is 11/71.Complete,on manifold at present,1 riser just sticky,the other missing it's coilspring and whatnot.Car is in Kansas City,and all my shipping experience is as a buyer,but can figure it out. Just had 4 insanely heavy (and cool)18"AMG wheels shipped from Chicago for less than I thought possible,so with some checking around it apparently can be done reasonably.I put quite a few hours into these carbs,mostly getting the air horns flat again,and would like to see them keep someones beloved old Benz on the road,rather than meet an undignified end at a pic n pull. make offer.

Attachments

#7 ·
Shipping is cheapest via FedEx Ground, especially if you can have it sent to a business, as they surcharge residential deliveries. Another option is hold for pickup at a FedEx location.

For example, I just shipped four R129 16" alloy wheels with lug bolts from Tampa to the Chicago area. Over 100 pounds total between two boxes, and it was something like $83 which I thought was pretty reasonable.

Dan

#8 ·
USPS used to be good shipping, but they seem to have jacked their prices and other than letters and flat rate packages, they seem to be neath by FedEx Ground and UPS Ground.

I have a hunch that car might have a blue MBTex interior. If so, even though I want to dump all my w114 projects, it might be tough to resist a good driver (or passenger) seat back, or even a whole seat.

The triangular washer fluid bottle might be nice in that package too (if dgosh28 doesn't already take it).

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#12 ·
If this one had been black,I'd have had to keep it.I seem to have a problem with broken black Benzes. I got tired of dealing with this person today,so I held onto carbs,intake,& dist and let the rest go to the glue factory. R.I.P. I'll keep an eye here in case I screwed up the PM reply gizmo.

#14 · (Edited)
2 more pics

Apparently I'm not smart enough to attach pics to a priv msg.comlete with grime,havent even cleaned anything.Wish I could have parted whole car. Only had a couple days notice she wanted to junk car and split town after I tore down engine,took head to machinist,and car sat in my driveway for 4 months. all for free. As you can see in pics,from sawzall removal method,I was not pleased.Car deserved better.

Attachments

#19 ·
Yep. all good.Startled hell out of young college girl owner the first time she drove it after rebuild.:) They were spotless a year ago.engine compartment was covered in oil/water milkshake when car showed up. I think dgosh wants them,waiting to hear back.

#17 ·
Zeniths, like the Solex 4A1, often warped due to the air cleaner bolt being over tightened.

The standard approach for flattening involves a flat surface and emery cloth. Not rocket science by any means, but will resolve all but the most severe cases of warpage.

Dan

#20 ·
Pretty much that simple.The gasket of course allows for a little warpage,so it's not till they get past that point they cause trouble.Sometimes it's even visible if you set the airhorn down on carb body without a gasket and try to rock it around.The emery cloth taped to a flat pane of glass will show the hills & valleys immediately. Nope,not rocket science,but the "old timers" around the shop sure had some cool tricks when I remembered to listen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.