Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W108 rear wheel bearings

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  agillot 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to tackle a pinion seal and wheel bearings in my 280SEL 4.5. My manual talks about and shows roller bearings but the only things I find for it are ball bearings. Anyone done this job? I hate pulling things apart and finding I have the wrong parts.

#7 ·
That is NOT true,
Those bearings are used in ALL cars with that type of rear axles. 230 SL, 250 SL, 280 SL, 250 SE, 280 SE ( 6 and 8 cil ) also Coupe's and Cabrio's , Fintails ....
It has nothing to do with the power of those motors, but with the construction of the axle.

#8 ·
Did a bit of digging in my Benz manual. According to MB, the 280S/8 280SE/8 and 280SEL/8 used grooved ball bearings both sides (183 981 00 25). The 280SE coupe and 280SL used grooved ball bearings on the left (183 981 00 25)and self aligning rollers on the right (000 981 05 06). The 300SEL/8 used either/or and all V8 models used roller bearings both sides.

Since they all had lower pivot swing axles and only gear ratios changed, not sure the axle is driving the type of bearing.

#9 ·
i have used ball bearings only on both sides on 280 se 4.5 with no problem , just call my friend at oneger co , and he does same . so you can do what you want , it does not make any difference . by the way i have a mb shop , and so does oneger co .since the 60 s .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.