Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Greets from your newest member!

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Just Another Dave 
#1 ·
Hello everybody!

Since I've got a 1975 240D I'll most likely hang out here in the classics forum. Unless anyone wants to talk about Corvettes (my other car is a 2006 C6).

I bought this old 240D a little over a year ago as something to learn to drive on (Corvette is not a good learner's car). Having grown up with a 220D and a 240D when I was a kid, I couldn't think of anything more docile and forgiving to learn to drive with than this. So when this one showed up in the local "fer sale" lot, I jumped at it and paid too much naturally.

After I got the car, I realized it was either maintained by someone who either 1: absolutely hated this car; or 2: had no business getting near a car with tools in his hand. The right front ball joint was kaput, steering coupler was shot, it had a radiator from some other car in it, the main oil filter was missing, the oil bath air filter had been gutted and a (poor fitting) paper one was just stuck in there. And someone had attempted to "tighten" the steering by adjusting the box the wrong way. But at least the guy had the good sense to use a good synthetic diesel engine oil. I just hope he wasn't trying to do 10,000 mile OCI's. Oh and everything rubber on the car had pretty much rotted away. There's more I'm sure I've missed - let's just say the car would have lasted maybe another 5-10,000 miles before it was going to the shredder is I hadn't intervened.

I've since rebuilt the front end (tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushings etc), replaced the missing bits and got a more proper radiator in it. I wish I could have found one with the oil cooler like the original, but at least I have one from another W115. I found that one of those cleanable cone filters will fit right on the plastic snorkel where the oil bath one used to go.

Now it runs and drives fine. To be honest, I like the way it rides better than the 'Vette (but not handles or acclelerates:) ) Other than the wife leaving the lights on once; running the battery dead and breaking the key off in the door, It's never had a scrubbed mission.

I've still got a laundry list of things to do - what 40 yr old car doesn't?
Tomorrow I'm starting on sub frame bushings and engine mounts. Hoping it will go easy, but I've got a feeling I'll come out of it looking and feeling like I was in a grease covered street fight.

Anyway, thanks for this forum! I've lurked here for info every now and again and I figured I'd join up and participate. I look forward to hearing from you all.

See less See more
#6 ·
#7 ·
HEHEH Yeah... I like to seek balance in all things. It's funny how no one tries to jump me at a traffic light in the C6. It's just an LS2 in there. Conversely the kids never try to get me to race when I'm driving the Benz (I think the clatter makes them nervous ;) )

Anyway, pictures! Please excuse the first couple are blurry. I couldn't get the auto focus working right... Plus trying to figure out how to post them up here. OK, here we go:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Luxury vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Classic car

Put the jack stands under and tires off
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mercedes-benz w114 Classic car

Car Vehicle Floor Automotive exterior Bumper

Ready... FIGHT!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Motor vehicle

Up on jacks... I'll start the actual work tomorrow. Guess the C6 gets to stay in the driveway tonight.

#8 ·
Beautiful!!! I highly recommend 5 1/2 x 14 aluminum wheels that take hubcaps.

#9 ·
After I got the car, I realized it was either maintained by someone who either 1: absolutely hated this car;

Other than the wife leaving the lights on once; running the battery dead and breaking the key off in the door...
Have you considered the possibility that your wife hates the car too?

#12 ·
Thanks! It's actually more like a 20 footer. The fenders, hood and roof all have dents that look like someone had walked on it. The good news is they're soft bottomed without hard creases. I was thinking about trying the old dry ice trick on them to see if they'd pull out one of these days.

The paint has some scratches here and there and of course pitting at the front. But I'm pretty sure it's original. I buffed the oxidation off when I got it home with some TR3 resin glaze and it looked 1000% better.

The interior has miles to go. I swapped the front seat bottoms. The drivers side has no carpet and the drivers door panel is... well, I don't want to take it off. Once again, attacked by someone either frustrated or in a hurry. I'm thinking about finding some more modern front seats and putting my seat tracks under them, then taking the car to TJ to re-do the interior. Oh! And of course the heater fan isn't working. I think the either the switch or resistor block is bad. I can get the AC blower running but only 2 speeds and only if you tickle the switch just right. (pretty sure the car is female)
All part of the laundry list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.