Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Sooo, I bought myself a new toy, and it broke within two hours!

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  redghost 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

Just wanted to introduce myself, introduce my newest purchase, and also ask for some advice - because it's already broken!

I'm Ben, I live in Vancouver, BC, and I just purchased a 1974 240D. She's beautiful, a little rough around the edges, and I hope to get her up to scratch once more :)

But I have a problem... on the drive home from buying it (a 2 hour ferry ride away from home), the fan belt snapped on me, leaving me stuck on the side of the road. So, now I'm home, and my new car is stuck on the other side of the water until the weekend, after I got it towed.

I've prepaid parking until Sunday night, so during the day, my mechanically minded buddy and I are going to ferry back over there, change the belt in the parking lot, and drive home!

However, we've been looking online for how to change the belt and can't find anything (from what I could tell from checking it out myself, you have to remove the power steering pully to fit the new belt?)

So, fellow Benz enthusiasts, I need some of your advice to get my baby home! How do you change the belt, and what selection of tools shall I throw in a bag to bring?

Thanks, and hi! :)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi Ben. Sorry about your belt trouble. I would go to Uncle Benz and buy a complete set of belts so you have the right ones. I hope someone will post some install instruction to make your job less troublesome. The parts people at MB are very helpful. I hope you got the original book with the small alu. plate with your purchase so they and you have all the numbers regarding chassis , body ,paint and original equipment including the datacard ,previos owners and services performed. The book will also add about $ 2 to 3 K to the value of your automobil. Let us know how you made out.
Good luck and welcome to the forum. Harald.

#3 ·
I would buy an emergency (elastic) belt to put on until you can drive it back home and replace all the belts. No need to buy expensive MB brand unles you have a membership discount. Plus the elastic belt is easier to snake around the other pulleys while out in the cold drizzle

#4 · (Edited)
I believe that the alternator/water pump belt is inside of the AC and power steering belts. So they need to come off to put a new alternator belt on. If I were in your situation, I would cut the AC and PS belts, replace the alternator belt and drive home like that. Then put the other two belts on.

Replacing the belt is simple. The tensioning nut sits on a rod attached to the block. You loosen the fastening screw on the front of the alternator, and turn the tensioning nut to move the alternator toward the engine enough to get the belt off. Then put the new one on, turn the tensioning nut to tension the belt, and tighten the fastening screw.

If you have trouble getting the belt completely on the pulley, you can always put it on the bottom of the pulley and bump the starter to get it to go over the top.

I don't remember exact sizes, but if you have a set of 10-19mm sockets and wrenches, you should be good to go.

Good luck.

#8 ·
+1 on Chucks advice. All you need is to loosen the alternator and that will give enough space to fit the belt. Snug it back up and you are on the road.

Let me know if you need parts. I have to clear my parts area of items that are not common with my R107

#10 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice! We eventually got the car home a few days ago. Headed back over to Nanaimo on the ferry, and spent a while in the parking lot fixing it. Ended up leaving the power steering belt off (as suggested), and fitted the new fan belt. Tensioning the thing up was a pain though - the tensioning nut/bolt was all chewed up from a previous change, so had to improvise a bit to get it working... but it worked, and we got on the ferry :)

I was thinking of removing the air con belt completely actually. The air con doesn't work, so the belt isn't actually doing anything at this point, right? :)

Todays job... replace the glow plugs, so I can actually start it in a reasonable amount of time in the morning. One day I'll polish it too when there's a break in the rain!

Oh, and redghost: what parts do you have? Anything 240D specific? I'm going to need an exhaust system (centre section/backbox) at some point! Also - on the cosmetic side - going to need a new front spot lamp (one is cracked) and the all important Merc emblems front and rear :)

#11 ·
I should be able to supply the emblems. There is not much beyond the rear emblem that is w115 240D specific.

By spotlight, do you mean the front fog? Round light between the grill and headlamp. I will need to inventory to see what all else I have. Front brake rotor for sure, window glass, some trim, and tail lamps

#13 ·
Yeah, I need one fog lamp then, one is cracked, and also the trunk seal, and the rear passenger side door seal. I guess these items are of lesser importance to getting the car a bit more reliable though..

Today, I fitted then new glow plugs. Unfortunately, there was no difference in it's terrible cold starting (have to turn it over 3/4 times for a while before it eventually fires up.) Once it's warm it starts up straight away, runs smooth as silk, pulls cleanly, good oil pressure, water temperature solid as a rock etc.

One thing I did notice - the glow plug indicator light on the dash does not come on at all. Could my problem lie in the relay perhaps? Maybe the glow plugs aren't getting any power, and what (eventually) starts the car from cold is purely the heat produced by the repeated turning over?

#14 ·
Hi Ben. I hope you have a dry place to store the car when the weather gets bad. There are a few weak spots on the body you should know about. #1 is the air intake or waterbox under your front windshield. #2 is the area around your front lights. Remove any dirt and inspect the fender coating. Remove the front mats and look for moisture. Also inspect the trunk and remove the matt. # 3 is the bottom of your doors .Hope everything is dry and no rust is showing. Good luck with your new toy. Harald

#15 ·
Do not forget behind the wheel wells up front. That place likes to store muck. Easy to remove the panel and hose it out. Best to check all weep holes for function anyway. Window seals will cause cabin and trunk leakage/rust.

+1 on removing carpet/mat. Pull it all up and feel for dampness. The cabin mats are a sponge. If you do find rust, brush it to bare metal and then use POR-15 to protect. Topcoat with rubberized undercoating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.