Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1972 220D coupe what did i find ?

4K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  redghost 
#1 · (Edited)
sold

sold

#8 ·
Its a swap, 4 shure. Look in the vin number, it says 114 xxx? The three last digits are the engine code, the 220d has 115 110. 110 saying its a om615 diesel engine.
And that wooden piece in the dash looks fake, but its a interesting car since they where newer made in this engine configuration and maybe worth to restore.

#17 ·
It is a swap, the dash is original, and you can fix the oxidation with Maaco paint.

The wood looks sun faded, but that is normal. The same dash is used for all the 114/115 cars, it is just the nicer ones have wood veneer over a metal backing that is glued to the standard dash. You can drill through the back to place needed knobs and glow salt shaker. Probably had a wrecked diesel and a fussy carb in the coupe. Easier to swap over a hard to kill engine than to dick around with a solex or weber.

The trunk badge is incredibly simple to swap from 250C to display 220 Diesel. The biggest question in my mind would be how well the fuel tank swap out was done.

#19 ·
I think I am turgid.

For $500 I would gladly relieve you of it. Too bad you are on the wrong side of the nation for pick up.

#21 · (Edited)
Sorry but I really think as the car sits its only worth scrap 500$ is a good offer.....that thing will need a lot if work....and trust me it only gets worse once you start driving it....that little motor sounds pretty nice, not a lot if smoke and its not shaking like a paint mixer......that body has some nasty rust, and I would say there is trunk and floor board rot and some of those areas especially around the tail lights will be fully of holes once the rust is treated and removed......fix it up and enjoy it or sell it cheap.....one thing I can promise it will be a money pit, specially if you don't know how to do the work.....don't throw any parts in it that are made by uro....personally I would love the project and the car....I would get it going and daily drive it....after I confirmed what sort if rot it had...

#23 ·
Given the work the car needs, $500 is really reasonable. If I have to pay more than that, I can not run it in the Lemons races

#26 ·
Rust on an american car is a whole different beast then it is on a euro car......

I don't know if you get paid for rust repair or if this is a spare time gig....not sure of your age either.....but old timers will tell you.....its not worth the time and energy....with this car what 3500$ will buy a nice example......I was a big time time antique guy and vintage electronic collector....I know the time and energy to restore something and the 3/4 of your time you barely broke even....

#27 ·
+1 on that

My 220D came to me for $117 and I put multiple of that into keeping her on the road. Over 8 years repairs must have come to $6k. She ate her pistons and cam supports. I could have gone for a used or rebuilt engine, but she needed paint, glass seals, and the never ending cycle of love. I agonized about it as if she were a sick child.

Finally figured out she could be terminal and used what I would have spent on the engine, I invested into upgrading to a R107 in much better condition than what I was moving up from.

#28 ·
I agonized about it as if she were a sick child. .
You are so right on the money, its scary.....my old clunker is right in there, though she has very little rust, she now wears a salvage title....but this car is like my kid, I think when ever I do something to her....it makes me feel better....she runs amazing considering the history behind her, but I want to do so much from paint to engine detailing....though I know she's not worth it and I could find a better example..I hear a strange new noise and I am under her like a doctor for a physical.....the one thing is, these cars have s soul....I am a strong believer in that....so I could never let her go.....but if you don't have that same connection.....move it along asap

#29 ·
Yeah, I really sound heartless. SWMBA gave me daily grief for a year before I was able to even come to terms with parting her out in homes that organ donations would at least keep her alive in other peoples cars.

I still play with the Corgi Polizei car every so often, just to feel connected once more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.