Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Panicked about bluetec purchase today!! Please weigh in

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  frankflynn 
#1 ·
Ok Benz lovers! I made what feels like an impulsive decision today and purchased a E350 Bluetec that was sold at the lease return auction and was being shipped to Arizona to the dealer from the auction that happened to be in MY town-Nashville! He gave me a discount of 1500.00 to not ship it and clean it up to showroom perfection so I bought it site unseen for 34,500 with 20,000 miles year 2011. It has P2 package, amg appearance package, split 17 inch alloy wheels, spoiler and heated steering wheel with split seat. The options seemed good so I took less than my favorite color combo-iridium silver and black interior. My heart was set on an all wheel drive amg with leather and pano roof white and cream but the price of the other with no accidents and one owner drove me to it.
Did I make a good decision??? I cant see it until Friday and am a bit nervous but assumed he bought it site unseen as well and sells many lease returns.
The ride seemed sporty with the torque of the diesel but is the amg better??
original sticker was 60K. I think he would wire it back and I could go buy the P1 amg package white with almond text for 36,500. Thoughts????
Thanks for reading and replying to my nonsense.

#3 ·
Funny and accurate! I gave up on the CLS idea when I looked at 4,000 for extended service plan for several years. I WISH I could enjoy NOT being practical but I usually am.
My question is between the bluetec verses the 4matic gas. We live in Nashville so our winters consist of one or two snow storms. Some think the all wheel drive is better in rain etc as well. I don't know!
I pulled the trigger and went diesel when I read they were introducing more models with bluetec in 2014 and the trend seems to be in the direction of efficiency.
As an aside-saying good bye to a 2007 BMW 530 sport in great color combo leather sport seats and all service and warranty for 73,000 miles paid with the purchase of 45k. It is only worth 14,500 to a wholesaler. The depreciation of these cars is SO HIGH! I am buying this lease return at 45 percent off the sticker with 20,000 miles. Seems insane really.
Give it up-gas or bluetec!!:)

#6 ·
Great testimonial with your own car for value! My Dad boughten sister a 240d when she was going to college and it was all the news in our home as there are 10 kids in my family. My dad watched the safety film and bought the car! She drove it and took great care of it for 10 years and it also held its value.
I was surprised not even knowing the word bluetec earlier this week. Hopefully more will come to the us market.

#8 ·
Last time I checked E350 BTC was 6 second car, what is way faster than most of MB owners desire.
We have a member who had E320cdi and E430 in the family. He admitted to test them side by side with his FIL and they were keeping up together.
So 6 cylinder cdi diesel not only gives you high economy, but V8 performance to couple.
The only complain I heard is dealing with urea in Bluetec, but now I see boxes of that stuff stacked up outside the truck stops with windshield fluid. Which one do you have refill more often BTW?

#9 ·
Sounds like you should be happy with the choice you made if you want a practical car.

#10 ·
The E350 is a popular choice here in the UK. It's fast efficient and reliable. It's a great car. Enjoy

The ad blue solution gets added every service and/or you add it. It's the same stuff trucks used for years.

#11 ·
Thanks!! I drove the gas and diesel version back to back and you are right-it DOES feel like a V8 and felt more sporty than the sport. The salesman and I both agreed. To anyone considering and reading try it because the name "sport" can be deceiving and this one has the sport appearance package.

#12 · (Edited)
I just bought a W211 2008 bluetec last month. If I could do it over again, I would do it over, and over, and over, and over.....

The V-6 diesels are simply staggering. I'm not pussy-footing around and I get 31mpg on the highway during my morning commute... 36mpg when I care to try. I heard the 2014 bluetec diesels in the US (E250) will be 4 cylinders with less torque, so grab the v6 bluetec while you can!

You also scored with the P2 package.

#13 ·
Thanks and I agree about the new ones. I dont know the specifics about what manufacturers are required to do in terms of mileage and emissions by 2015 but it IS changing cars. I thought the SAME thing you are suggesting. My analogy is that it could be like wishing you had the "old generation" toilets before they limited water or the shower heads!! I feel we are doing more than our part with the diesel purchase and wish they were keeping the bigger engines. BMW changed theirs as well and my car I am trading is twice the car of the loan they gave me this week. The start stop feature will drive you mad in city driving!

#14 ·
That happens when government takes over your life. I escaped communism to live free, only to discover that in California my life is regulated in almost any aspect.
Lately on my new house I installed very nice LED lights, that not only give good effects, but I have whole property bright with 100 W of power draw.
The county inspector told me that those will not pass the inspection as code require fluorescent and CL approved lights in some areas, or motion detector lights up front.
Beware of buying government dis-approved toilet paper ;)

#15 ·
It is truly frightening in so many ways! I am a realtor in Nashville and I have several clients in the entertainment industry buying homes in Nashville because we don't have a state income tax and residing in both states. Hate to be negative but the legislation and taxes to pay for administration is one thing-bankrupting people and states but controlling your home lighting borders on funny! I am a rule follower for sure but the system in place simply does not allow for effective legislation of so many things. SO much money made in Texas with oil prices last year alone. Big business, oil and gas and the politicians can duke it all out and cut their deals. We can have fun talking cars!! I see more pretty late model mercedes being sold online in Texas on the online car sites.

#20 ·
You are overlooking the fact that new 4-bangers outperform older 6-cylinders and sometimes by far.
The W123 with 3l diesel had 83 or so HP. the turbo version has 112 HP. For heavy car that make them a hog, yet as mentioned they hold (some) value. I just sold W124 diesel and took long time to get 5% of new car price for mechanically perfect car, so we might have different opinions what "holds the value" means.
In California performance cars are useless. Maybe in the city you use the acceleration for passing, but we do 99.9% highway/freeway driving, when seldom we use more than 50% of the 174 HP our diesels have and per my direct experience 112HP is critical point for sedan to climb the hills we have without changing the gears and reving high, like my family Toyotas have to do all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.