Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Odd Exhaust Stack

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  MegaMog 
#1 ·
Proxy post for Truktor.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I would say the engine is running backwards.

The effort to route the exhaust through the air cleaner hole would be monumental, all of the electrical system would have to be remove to another location, something would have to be done with the exhaust manifold to get the discharge in the right spot and never mind the heat coming off the pipes would likely melt the window gasket and dash pad.

I've lugged an OM352 down to the point of having it run backwards a couple times, kind of freaked me out the first time to see a gray cloud coming out of the intake pre-filter.

You don't want the engine to do this for long, the oil pump isn't likely moving any oil either and you're bearing are going to get a little dry after a while.

Jason

#8 ·
You can't fix stupid.

C.

#10 ·
If that indeed is the exhaust stack, whether or not it is right or wrong, ugly or otherwise, my thought would be to put a turn out on the top to keep any water from entering the stack, from rain or anything.
Water in straight vertical stacks sometimes look cool, but they puke crap out when started, and in the system can hurry up corrosion.

#11 ·
Probably a little wood stove in place of the original heater. Stoke it up to warm up the cab and preheat the inlet air to the diesel.

Similar to the pioneering days of automotive history when a Model T operator might warm the spark plugs in a hub cap of gasoline to make cold start possible in deep winter weather.

Just a thought.

#12 ·
Exhaust vis a vis Intake????

Could it be possible that from the angle the picture is taken at, what we are seeing is the exhaust exiting from a stack at the usual location, rear passenger side, and that it only "appears" to be coming out of the air intake??? Simple solution to a seemingly impossible question. Just my two cents. :)

#15 ·
Could it be possible that from the angle the picture is taken at, what we are seeing is the exhaust exiting from a stack at the usual location, rear passenger side, and that it only "appears" to be coming out of the air intake???
Uh, no.
If you open the link in post #4 of this thread, you'll see a completely different angle ,
And it is still coming from the stack.
No doubt about it!

#13 ·
Uh, no.
If you open the link in post #4 of this thread, you'll see a completely different angle ,
And it is still coming from the stack.

As odd as it is, I think it is clear that they ran the exhaust out of the intake hole.
Maybe they put in some heat shielding, or maybe they are just contrarians, and don't care
If they melt stuff....but it is what it looks like it is.

#14 ·
My take is that a diesel engine truly requires no muffler. I bet he is straight piped and it most likely sounds real big.
Having no power robbing muffling system grabs him a lilttle more power as diesels dont like back pressure.
l dont know what he does with it so l cant say what the local legal beagles would say.

lm sure it would get hot, but maybe not hot enough todo any damage, or, he already went through that. Maybe he uses it to augment his defroster on cold days to keep the wind screen de-iced.

There are diesel pickup pullers running a stack through the hood. Id think he didnt cuz it would fail to open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.