Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Extended warranty advise

1K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  flyboyike 
#1 ·
Hi there, I am trying to get a good extended warranty for my wife's '08 C300. Mercedes wants $4000 for a 2 year warranty, which is a little too pricey, but coming from MB, I'm not surprised. Was wondering what company some other owners have gone with and prices for how much coverage.

Thanks so much!

Giaco

#2 ·
I am still on the original warranty on my MB but did buy twice on BMWs. This is what I learned. When you buy an aftermarket non manufacturer warranty be careful that it will be honored by the dealers, they do not like dealing with these insurance companies even though you will get a better price than a manufacturer extended warranty.

I currently have a BMW manufacturer extended warranty for my '07 3 Series. I called several dealers to see who would reduce the price and saved myself a lot for making a few phone calls. I have only used it once but I was treated as though I was on the original warranty by a different dealer than where I had bought the warranty. There is a lot of markup in these products and for the time of a few minutes paperwork it's an easy way for a dealer to get some business. Don't be bullied into paying list price any more than you did when you bought the car.

#3 ·
Two ways to go, Mercedes or put the money in to the bank. I have been very happy with MB a little pricey but no haggle, the others the dealership still get s cut up front but they mignt spec cheap parts or are out of business when you need them. I would shop other MB dealers in your area, I got my extended ($2700)within 90 days of purchasing the car and they had two options full coverage amd limited, in the end I and Mb just about broke even after eight years and two A/C repairs and various small repairs

#5 ·
The car is paid for, it just seems high for not so long of coverage. As I recall I paid less for more coverage on my '04 Carrera through Porsche, but it was an '04 & 2 yrs back. We may have to just do the MB warranty then. I will try to negotiate on the price and see what I can do!

Grazie!!

#6 ·
In 2 years the car is not going to be worth much more than $4000.
This is DIY forum, so its main purpose is avoiding paying for repair insurance.
4 grands sure can you buy you a lot of parts, even they not suppose to be needed.
Bottom line - years ago I spend $2400 for extended warranty for our ML320. The car in 12 years in our family took $300 in new parts that did not fell under the warranty.
Meaning I totally wasted perfectly good $2400. Would never justify spending any money this way.

#8 ·
It will be worth much more than than $4k unless it has 400,000 miles on it.
The used car market is going maintain higher pricing momentum for at least the next 204 years.
It may not be worth more than $4k to Kajtek. To his credit he does get very deals on his used cars.

#9 ·
It may not be worth more than $4k to Kajtek. To his credit he does get very deals on his used cars.
The only cars worth anything to Kajtek are old, decrepit, runout diesels, which nobody wants, hence the great deals thereon. To his credit, he is very consistent and recommends said old, decrepit, runout diesels to absolutely everyone, regardless of circumstances, budget, needs etc.

#10 · (Edited)
It is all in the math. In 2 years 2008 model is not going to be 6 years old, but more like 7.
I bet the manufacturing date is before October of 2007. :D
And you know what fly's word is worth, don't you?
With 1 exception all old MB diesels I had in California sold for more than I paid for them.
I "lost" about $500 driving the only exception for couple of years, but I was tired on NA diesel and just put it on ebay with $1 starting price and no reserve.
Still with all those MB we did own the worse thing that happened with diesel was couple hundreds dollars head gasket on W124. The worse thing that happened to gasser was $1200 UV joint. I know it was 4Matic so the repair was not really related to the engine, but the bad memory stays.
Coming back to W204 what can break on it in 2 years to warrant $4000 insurance?

#12 ·
Well just for giggles I looked up 7 year old C280s on Autotrader and Car Soup.
Prices ranged from $9,995 to $19,995.

So unless something very drastic happens in the used car market for this segment of cars
I really doubt the 2008 would be worth less than $10k at 7 years old. Probably worth at
least $3k more than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.