Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

FS: 1980 300TD Great shape, low miles

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  HRWest 
#1 · (Edited)
This car is in great shape with just some rock chips here and there. Interior is nearly perfect. There was no rear seat but an improvised set of cushions and headrest work fine. The rear seat belt is there. Everything works fine. Original mileage 82,703. Car is white, interior is a nice, I would call it almost a burnt sienna. Will post pictures later. I'm thinking around $12,500 but will entertain offers.

Opinions?

#2 ·
My opinion is that in today's market a 30 year old basic station wagon without any photos or documented service history is worth from $1500 to $2500 to anyone interested in such an old basic vehicle. Yes, it is Mercedes, but the low mileage is not a positive selling point to an educated buyer without documented service history. An old car not driven will mechanically deteriorate faster than one that is used and properly maintained. Take the car to a Mercedes shop and have it inspected to see what items need corrected. The list could be a few hundred or many thousands depending on its condition today. FYI, recently an extremely rare "real" AMG top-of-the-line S series coupe with lower miles and documentation went for about $10k to a nationwide audience. This was one exceptional rare piece of history. So in my opinion a bottom of the line station wagon is no way worth $12,500 anywhere on this planet. GLWS

#3 ·
He never mentioned that there was no service history to verify the miles. I don't agree about the low miles, there are plenty of people who would be attracted to this low miles example. This car has more value on the market than any S class of the same vintage. There is NO market for gas Mercedes of this era. The 300TD brings a premium over the CD and the D. It is the most valuable and most desired car from that year. If the car is as nice as you say and the miles are verified I would say you can EASILY get $12,000.

Good luck.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. I don't have service records, all regular service was performed in the family. The car has had no problems. Any other service was performed by a dealer that is no longer in business. The closest dealer to me now is about 225 miles away. I inherited the car.

I'm trying to figure out how to add pics to this post.

Thanks for the information Jeremy.

#7 ·
To add pictures the easy way. open a Photobucket account. upload your pictures into an album, put the cursor over the picture, a few boxes will open, click in the IMC box and it will copy the picture. put the cursor into the reply box on this forum and click paste and the picture tag will be added. Fairly easy after you do it a few times.

BTW 12,500.00 is probably more than you can expect realistically in this market. It would have to be perfect in every way. A museum piece.
BTW I own a diesel as well as gassers.

#9 · (Edited)
I've been researching and looking for a decent 300td, tdt or te wagon for several months, all either too far away, abused and not worth buying, or far more than they are worth. The best price I've seen for a well documented, dealer serviced one owner with 136k miles went for $4200, and I missed that one!!!!!. Currently, in my area, (Western US) There is a few in SOCAL etc, FS on EBAy with bidding beginning at 1k, with the high price at 6k (buy now price) with 114k miles and documented service records. I'd look around some more. Come up with a realistic price and if in great shape I may be interested.

#10 ·
A BTW for you, I just got rid of a 80 300td that had 127k miles with partial records. I bought it some months ago based on the millage (documented on the title) the way it looked and ran at the time. Even with the records and the fact it looked almost perfect, the cost to make it totally road worthy began to add up. The cost ended up getting close to $6000.00 and that was if I bought the parts and did the work it required to do the trans, (a Mercedes mechanic friend said it was only vacuum, not!) steering components, engine etc. It was cheaper to sell it and look for a better candidate.

#11 ·
Other cars on ebay

Check this link for a current car on ebay.

Mercedes-Benz : 300-Series TD Wagon in Mercedes-Benz | eBay Motors

This car has 206,000+ miles, has been repainted and the interior redone. Mine has far less miles, is original and in great shape.

Another current ebay listing, yes I know for a newer car and a turbo but still 228K miles, repainted, etc.

Mercedes-Benz : 300-Series 4 DOOR ESTATE WAGON in Mercedes-Benz | eBay Motors

I am negotiable. As I stated previously this is based on NADA information and the low mileage.

#12 ·
Check this link for a current car on ebay.

Mercedes-Benz : 300-Series TD Wagon in Mercedes-Benz | eBay Motors

This car has 206,000+ miles, has been repainted and the interior redone. Mine has far less miles, is original and in great shape.

Another current ebay listing, yes I know for a newer car and a turbo but still 228K miles, repainted, etc.

Mercedes-Benz : 300-Series 4 DOOR ESTATE WAGON in Mercedes-Benz | eBay Motors

I am negotiable. As I stated previously this is based on NADA information and the low mileage.
Unfortunately, you'll find that NADA values hold absolutely no weight here.

You certainly have a nice car, with incredibly low-mileage at that, but remember that even low-mileage cars are not always 100% either. Years of disuse (not saying yours has gone through that) even at low-mileage could still create problems.

At any rate, it's a fine looking car, and I wish you good luck with the sale!

#14 ·
price

Very nice-looking car, but pricing such a vehicle depends on a lot of factors, as your posters have suggested. My only advice is to chuck the NADA thing; no-one puts any stock in NADA values except used-car dealers and private sellers who don't know any better. Forget NADA, man. That said, good luck on getting the most you can.
Hemersam

#15 ·
Check the bids, the "buy it now price" is seldom what an item actually sells for. Not unless it's something valuable or in demand. I have bought and sold classics and hotrods for years, and been doing car shows since a teen. Dealers (especially USED car sales) are really the only people who go by or quote NADA. Also, price can be determined by local economy. The bid on the first link is now up to $1025.00, and is being sold by a diesel WVO conversion dealer, it has been listed before and didn't sell. Second is higher but newer, and a rare, desirable color. Might have a collector, or European enthusiast trying to grab that one. I don't want to mimic the others, but, price is not always gauged on mileage alone. It's all about what you can sell it for, either locally, or abroad. If abroad, factor in shipping. is shipping going to run higher than vehicle value? I know shipping cost has prevented me from buying a few cars.

#16 ·
Correction: I thought the first bid was the San Diego car being listed on Ebay by a conversion dealer, same color. Still, bid is at 10% of "buy it now" price. I wouldn't buy it without going over it and having a good Mercedes mechanic go over it. (more expense to factor in on sales price) I certainly wouldn't pay asking price. Maybe $2500 in my book. The paint, don't know who did it and if prepped well or what condition the body was in. could have a 100 pounds of filler covering rust, and the paint could peel in a couple months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.