Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fintail and Mercedes V8

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Benzkindaguy 
#1 ·
Well...I have a 66 fintail and I have an 82 Euro 500se. Does anyone have any information on putting a v8 mercedes into an old fintail or something similar? My Euro is kind of beat up and seen better days but seems to run and shift just fine.

Some questions of concern are fitment? Any wiring needed to run this conversion? Is there anything that makes this swap a pita? I don't mind working things out and customizing when needed but I don't want to change the whole car to accept an engine. If anyone wants to chime in with some thoughts, that would be great. I figure if I really like the swap, the 560 sec sel engine would be a great improvement but let's not jump to far.

I am currently trying to finish up my 240D Jeep project that should be done by Christmas. :/ I'm slow!

#4 · (Edited)
Hi there,
A 240D Jeep project - your work will not be the onl thing that is slow! Sorry, not an old diesel fan!

Don't let the wiring scare you off - there isn't very much to it. But certainly more than just wiring up a coil or something. I have never done wiring before, but did my own wiring for my 450SE motor with K-Jet, which is the same FI system as a series 1 W126 that I presume your 500 is.
Have a look through a mates photo's that he took - he has done 2 conversions now - Mercmad63 (on here occasionally).
https://plus.google.com/photos/1160...046874571116258862/albums/5521874260274880417
and
https://plus.google.com/photos/1160...046874571116258862/albums/5483704683450885057
A quick summary of things that need to be done off the top of my head:
- trans tunnel relief around the flex disc (see the pics). Also need a mount for the shifter. Can just merge in parts of the 500 tunnel
- mix and match the finny and 500 prop shaft (I can't recall having to change its length other than mixing different era parts)
- adapt the throttle mechanism to work with the 500 - use a W108 unit and see how the 500 pivots off the firewall - copy the way it works. So some cutting and welding there.
- handbrake on RHD cars is hard to keep standard - don't know about LHD cars though
- you will want a bigger radiator. GGR on here used one from a W112 with the M189 motor. I am getting a custom one made out of alloy. However, mercmad used a finny one and a W126 one with modifications and they worked ok.
- fit the W126 fuel pumps/accumulator/filter instead of the finny unit.
- unlike my 450, mercmad foudn the deeper sump of the 500 fouled on the finny drag link. So he looked at a W108, and noticed it had the idler mounted much lower - so he cut one off a W108 and mounted it on the finny in the same spot - see the photo's
- I remote mounted the battery in the boot to make more room in the bay
- use W108 3.5 or 4.5 engine mount arms
- you will need to solve exhaust clearance issues around the steering box - mercmad and I went the custom header route, whereas I think GGR raised his engine in the bay about an inch by machining about 1cm or so (from memory?) off the engine mounts and put spacers under the engine arms (or mounts) so the manifolds could clear the stering box. He used the R107 tri-Y 5.0 euro headers
- trans crossmember - use one from a W108, it will bolt in
- rear end - you won't want the finny one in there as it will be screaming on the highway - it should be 4.1 wheras the 500 is probably 2.32 or 2.47 or so. Minimum solution is to get a rear from a W108 3.5/4.5, but the best solution would be a 6.3 diff ($$). If you get one of those, do the extra fabrication and fit the anti-lift roll bar to reduce the twitchyness under brakes.
- and the wiring. The K-Jet has minimal wiring. I too will be starting on my coupe soon so I can get detailed instructions from mercmad and from my own K-Jet wiring diagrams and pass them on if required. But honestly, I would't stress about it. I have recently been contemplating fitting a S55 AMG from a 2001 car and yes, the wiring and computers are pretty much a deal breaker (or a wallet breaker!). But not so with the K-Jet.

Finish your other project and start collecting some bits - the engine mounts, diff, and $. But know that you will not get stranded with a project that dies because of lack of help - there are quite a few of us that have done this.
Search for the thread on W111-108-113 mods for some interestign reading.
Cheers,
Drew in Oz

LATE EDIT - just remembered that with a 500, the speedo are electronic. So you will need to talk to an instrument shop about changing an electric signal into a mechanical twist to drive your fintail speedo. I was going to use aftermarket gauges so I have not looked into it.

#5 ·
This is a great project idea; I hope you see it through. When I had my '65 190D I frequently thought about doing something like this but chickened out. Thinking about this from a practical standpoint, (and I know this may be oversimplifying it a bit) but wouldn't it be a matter of taking the engine harness and associated electronics along with the engine, and transplanting it all in the W110 along with the ignition switch and alternator harness?

#6 ·
Things like the rearend don't scare me being 4.1 because I am actually looking at this build as more of a 55-60mph cruiser because that is what my last fintail did with a top speed of 68mph. I am actually looking to find a 560 motor. But if I don't find something cheap I will continue with the 500se motor. I am looking for 300hp in a fintail with 4.1 gears. Pretty much a hot rod Mercedes. I was looking over the 500se yesterday and the wiring doesn't look like much really. Everything seems like it wouldn't be too bad. I will be using any and all information to save me time and money. Just start collecting parts as I go. We have so many pick and pulls here in Northern California as well which helps a lot. Thanks for all replies and don't mind seeing more!

#8 ·
I think as long as I don't put a slick on it, should be fine. If I blow it up, that is fine, I own a tow truck ;) If I have to change it at some point then I will. I am just looking to get it running under its own power then worry about everything around the engine at that point. I am an ex racer and I already have slow get around free way friendly Mercedes diesel lol. I been wanting a hod rod lately but that is hard with diesel. I am waiting on a guy here in town to get a hold of a 10mm IP for a 300D Turbo but I refuse to buy one without feeling or driving in a car that has one. I did grow up on gas so maybe it would be cool to have one gasser in the stable.

#9 ·
I grew up Mopar actually. Im 31 now but in high school I had a 67 barracuda with a 360 and auto and 7 1/4 rearend. I was running 14.1 @99mph in the 1/4 mile and the 7 1/4 rearend held up. I could only put a 205 70 14 tire on it cause people recommended me not to hook up or I'd grenade it. Anyhow, I never blew it up but since it's Mercedes I would assume it could hold up. If not, I just change it out and figure it out! Alright, sleep is calling my name.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.