Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Steering feels sloppy

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  cascade 
#1 ·
Hello everyone
I have been slowly putting my E420 back into proper safe driving conditions. I have just put brand new tires one it (bridgestones) and replaced the center link, center damper, tie rods both ends and got the car aligned but I still feel like theres something a bit off. At highway speeds I am constantly correcting the steering and the wheel feels a bit loose when just playing with the wheel a bit at a light or driving slowly I was hoping maybe someone might have some better knowledge about this.

#3 ·
I didnt even think about that I was just happy to get my car back on the road after all the work I did. I took drive around and notice that the steering wheel sits a bit to the left when keeping the car straight down the road so I'll be going back to get my alignment dealt with if you guys have any other clues to what it may also be let me know. I'd end up checking on it just for my own conscious.

#5 ·
Mine kinda did the same thing after new tires MXG4 Primacy. It follows the groves in the freeway more and I just had the alignment done @ 3 to 4 months before with no problems before. My guess is have the alignment done again with the new tires. I should follow my own advise!

#6 ·
Mine was all over the road until I put new struts on it. Now it rides pretty well, but could be better. I checked my steering shock and it was fine. My tie rods and drag link are passable. My rear subframe mounts are shot. I am sure that will improve it along with a four-wheel alignment. Also my ball joints squeak, and that means new lower control arms, because the ball joints are welded on them.

#7 · (Edited)
Did you.....

Check the condtion of your front steering shock?

It is a consumable item in the w124.

Just before I got 4 new Coni Extreme Contact DWS tires and a wheel alignment 2 weeks ago, on my '95 E420, I replaced the steering shock (very inexpensive from the Mercedes Benz dealer) and the car now not only still runs great but also, it tracks beautifully and is unmoved by grooves, ruts and pavement imperfections and changes on the road surfaces....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.